Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Did my mechanic screw my rear end up? PLEASE LOOK

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did my mechanic screw my rear end up? PLEASE LOOK

Hey guys.. I went in today to get posi in my car. I have the stock rear end, 2.73 open. I bought a rear end off a guy on this board which was a 3.08 posi. I was planning on using the posi carrier from the 3.08 rear, and the axles and put a brand new 3.73 gears in my car. so my mechanic took out my axles, took out everything in the pumpkin and then took out the axles from the 3.08 rear, put it in mine, took out the posi carrier put it in my rear, and then put in the new set of 3.73's. well come to find out it wouldnt work. THey said my posi carrier was for 3.08 and numerically smaller gears., if I wanted 3.73 I would have to buy a new posi carrier. so I was now screwed. So I told him to just put the 3.08 posi gears in my car. ( so in otherwords he took out eveything from the 3.08 rear and put it in mine..) so now I have 3.08/posi in my car 28 spline. I just got it out of the shop today, and everything seemed fine until a couple hours ago. Now it is making a little whining noise, and every time I turn the car, it kind of growls from the rear of the car. so now im really screwed. I had to pay him labor to put in 3.08 gears, (which I did not want, but had no choice since the 3.73's wouldnt go) and now its making terrible noises.. not way loud, but when you turn it growls and doesnt sound very good. I know that posi should sound a little different, but I think this isnt right. this is my question, can you guys tell me the steps to installing posi and gears? I dont think he done it right, but I dont want to question him until I know. Do you have to line up the teeth a certain way? what is a MUST when putting in gears? I feel like I got raped, since I bought this rear off this board, and the seller told me 3.73's would work., so now im screwed cause of that, and now im stuck with 3.08's , and now it sounds like hell under the car. What do you guys think I should do? whats the steps to installing gears? I want to know if he done it right.... please reply, and tell me what the hell I can do to get 3.73 posi in this car, right now its 28 spline, 3.08 posi, 10bolt 7.5" please let me know, I still want to use this rear end. thanks guys.. Ive had a ****ty day!

Nate
Old 03-29-2002, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84 SVO
Engine: Volvo headed 2.3T
Transmission: WCT5
Axle/Gears: 8.8" 3.73
first for 3.73's you will need a 3 series posi pig. best bet to find one is in a 4x4 s-10. Now as to the growl..it could be several things including too much backlash, improper setting of the gears or it may simply be did your mechanic add friction modifier when filling the diff. sorry bout your luck, cheers, Bob
Old 03-29-2002, 07:30 PM

I was looking on jegs, would this work with my current posi carrier?

836-49-0007-1 Ratio: 3.73, 2-Series
Teeth: 41-11 $ 193.99

It says 2 series is for 3.08 and numerically lower... and thats what I have... so wouldnt that fix my problem? If I bought those wouldnt it make my rear end 3.73 posi? since I have a posi carrier from a 3.08 rear? let me know... also, thanks for the reply, but can someone put down the steps in order to changing gears out? if thats not too much to ask... but wouldnt that work from jegs? maybe the guy bought 3 series instead of 2 series, and thats why it didnt fit?

Nate
Old 03-29-2002, 07:31 PM

and how do you set the gears up? do you have to tune them or anything? please just reply with steps, that would be awesome, and how to tune them.. im learing alot today, maybe this bad luck can turn around and those 3.73 2 series will work??? I sure hope so

Nate
Old 03-29-2002, 08:15 PM

I really need your guys input here.. I have no where else to turn... PLEASE try to help, I know its alot to ask, but your my only hope to figuring out this rear end issue. Can that be done with the 3.73's? would it work? let me know PLEASE, any input would be nice.. and I need instructions to switching gear sets, I want to know if he did it right.. thanks guys, I am relying on you!

Nate Poulsen

Ogden, UT..

ANYONE AROUND ME???

Please post any opinions or ideas, I need to know what I can figure out here.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Yep, you have the wrong gears for that posi. 2 series 3.73's will work just fine. I've had mine for 5+years now. As far as the growl, could be a toast posi or it just needs some posi additive--since it only does it on turns. Posi should be quiet. As far as doing it yourself, if you have to ask what it involves you need to have someone do it for you--or at least have some help.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:21 PM

I am not going to be doing this myself. I just wanted to know the steps to take to make sure my mechanic did it right just to be safe. I know they like to cut corners sometimes. I heard you had to dial in the gears or something like that.. is that correct? Do they have to go in a certain way? I as looking at that part # on jegs, and it says for 27 spline 7.5" or 7.625". why does it say 27 spline and not 28? As far as the posi unit, it looked excellent, nothing physically wrong, new bearings, etc.. It also had new liquid added to the differential, what else could of caused the growning and whisteling sounds? do you really think the posi is gone if it looks to be mechanically sound? thanks guys, please answer my couple questions here, it will help a ton, I need to know exactly what gears to buy, was I correct? why does it say 27 spline on jegs web site? thanks guys, your my last hope here

Nate Poulsen

Please get back with the steps if necessary, I want to know how to dial it in and set the gears, etc.

Nate
Old 03-29-2002, 10:29 PM

please anyone? post you thoughts and ideas and steps please.
Old 03-29-2002, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay I won't be able to tell you the steps involved in properly setting up gears, but it's covered in a Chiltons book or try doing a search on gear manufaturers webpages. But
1. Unless I read wrong you are using a USED posi, it could be bad from the beginning. A gamble associated with used parts, I have learned my lesson.
2. SLP sells a new take-out posi for $85, it is a 3 series, 28 spline posi. Many are using them with great results. You can have your gears installed(3.73). Knowing that both items are new.
3. To check backlash you will need a dial-indicator and white paste to check proper contact between the gears.
4. Not adding the additive or using synthetic gear oil on old posi can cause some noise.
%. Talk to the guy and see if you can work something out, remeber that he installed used parts so his liability in this case is questionable.
6. Also relax, I know our cars are important to us, but things will work out and you will be happily driving soon. Don't give up hope the problem can be fixed.
Well hope all this writing helped.
Good Luck
Old 03-30-2002, 12:37 AM

so your saying I can buy the SLP posi carrier for only 85.00? why so cheap? this posi i have out of the 3.08 rear looks to be in 100% cond. i dunno.. maybe he did something wrong? but where is the site for this slp posi 3 series? i cant believe its so cheap. let me know where to go, maybe thats an option? but still the 2 series 3.73 should work too right? if my posi is good?
Old 03-30-2002, 02:50 AM
Jza

www.slponline.com

It's so cheap, because it's what they pull out of Trans Ams and Z28s when they to their modifications to a special order vehicle (like SS's). So they're technically used, too, even though they most likely don't have any miles on them. I haven't ever heard or seen anything bad associated with them.
Old 03-30-2002, 08:44 AM
Supreme Member

27 spline is probably the pinion spline. Did the shop put in all new bearings? Axle bearings? They could be making some noise. For your usual street car the take-off torsen posi is pretty good--it all depends on what to do with the car.
Old 03-30-2002, 11:13 AM

ok, so if I go to jegs, this part # would work right? 836-49-0007-1
even though it says for 27 Spline Pinion? everything should bolt up together right? my 28 spline axles, the 3.08 posi unit, and the 3.73 gears? they have all new bearings in it. the actual posi unit looks EXCELLENT... nothing physically wrong with it. Thats why I am asking you guys the steps to putting in gears & posi, I want to make sure this guy follows those steps. can you just breifly explain the steps? i dont need huge detail, just how to calibrate the gears or whatever? thanks guys

Nate
Old 03-30-2002, 12:31 PM

Try this...
http://www.drivetrain.com/ringpinioninstal.html
Old 03-30-2002, 03:14 PM
Supreme Member

Yep, that is the part number you need--at least according to my summit. The gears don't touch the axles, so they don't 'care' what spline axles you have. If you didn't get new bearings, buy a bearing kit and some axle bearings. If the axle bearings have worn a groove in the axle, have him install some 'repair' axle bearings. They are offset, which causes the bearing to ride on a nice smooth part of the axle. One of mine was worn a little bit so I installed a pair of them--them work great and have a built in seal.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:10 AM

The whining or whistling that you said really might be a bearing, most likel the pinion baring. When they installed it they may not have set the preload correctly, causing the whine. It could even be a bad contact patch too. Either too much or too little back lash or pinion depth The noise during the turn is most likely that they did not add the additive.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:24 AM

I watched them put this fluid in the rear, it said something like posi carrier differental fluid or something.. the bearings are brand new, and the posi unit looks excellent, maybe the spacing is bad? is it really hard to set the right spacing? I think this guy doesnt know very much, thats why I am asking all these questions. He is a certified mechanic, worked on my car for years and done a great job, but as far as this rear end goes, i am going to make him keep redoing it until its done right. So if this is all done right, I should be able to have 3.73 posi without any noise from the rear whatsoever right?

Nate
Old 03-31-2002, 11:58 AM

Car: 91 firebird,mint
Engine: 305 tbi,lots of work done
Transmission: 700-r4 built by level 10 in nj
Axle/Gears: 3.73, auburn , precision
i have an auburn posi with precision 3.73 gears, bought em from reider racing and they had a guy in my area that did the work........always good to ask around and find out whos good with rears b4 handing over your car.............mine makes a humming noise at a certain rpm not sure which..........give it gas it goes away brake it goes away......i think its normal since i have no other sounds or problems......
Old 04-01-2002, 06:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Guess
Engine: Crazy 8
Transmission: So close to being a manual I can taste it
You said the bearings are brand new but what about the axles. If they have a groove worn into them they can cause a nasty growl, groan, roaring noise. Good luck getting your rear sorted out.
Old 04-01-2002, 07:58 PM
Supreme Member

certified mech. huh--like that means much. I've worked with some very scary 'certified mechanics'. Noise depends partly on the gears. Most richmonds end up with some noise--mine are quiet though. The problem is that if it is bearing or ring and pinion mesh problem, the damage is probably done. Once they whine they wear wrong and can't be fixed. If you think it's too loud, take it back to shop and tell them--see what they will do for ya'
Old 04-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure you have the friction modfier in with the oil. I had the SAME problem when I had mine (auburn) they did not install the friction modifier and every turn i made it made a growling loud clickng noise. AS SOON as I installed the friction modifier and let the car down off of the hoist it NEVER made the noise again.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:54 PM

Friction stuff huh? I watched him put liquid in the rear, it was in a bottle and it said posi lube or something, but thats the only thign he added, is the friction stuff in a different bottle?

Nate
Old 04-02-2002, 11:43 PM

No, the bottle that said posi lube was the friction modifier.
Old 04-02-2002, 11:50 PM

He is ordering in the 2 series 3.73's for me right now, im debating if I should of done 4.10's.. ohh well, 3.73's should be enough. He fixed my rear so I can be driving the car in the mean time, he said it was the C-clamp or something, he had it fixed in 15 minutes. It does not grind whatsoever now. it still whines just a TINY bit when going around 50mph, but it doesnt seem too bad. Should I expect this rear to not make any noise whatsoever or is a little noise okay? let me know
Old 04-03-2002, 08:38 AM

I purchased a whole rear end set up from an '85 IROC that was 3.23 posi. It looked good and we put in new gear oil with limited slip additive. When I take a hard turn(such as one of those 25mph curved off ramps), I get a major growl from the rear end. Also, when going straight, if you have you foot on the accelerator, it whines pretty good. The whine is a worn pinion gear pattern, it won't hurt anything, just has alot of miles on it I guess. As for the growl, I don't know, but if I jerk the wheel a bit it goes away cause the posi unlocks. I figured it was just the posi unit was old, but it looks like new in there. Could this growl be that C-clip that you said your mechanic fixed? I'm selling the car and I need to know what to tell my buddy who is buying it. If it is fixable in 15 minutes, then I may have it fixed befor I sell it.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:29 AM

as far as my car, it was a 15 min thing, and it does not growl whatsoever now. that has been totally fixed. my rear end still whines a little bit going 40mph or so. this is a brand new ring & pinion, so why would it whine? what did he do wrong? let me know
Old 04-03-2002, 01:09 PM

Well, when you set up a rear end, there is a specification for how the backlash should be set. Also, there is a gap or clearance spec too. I'm not an expert, and I have not set up a ring and pinion before, but I have a friend who owns 6 camaros and firebirds of all years and he has a shop and does everything himself. There are some GM specs that you can research on the net, or at the library and probably find. Also, You may try alling the guys at Randy's (www.ring-pinion.com), or check Richmond or Strange's websites. If it whines on acceleration only then the pinon gear is probably set too loose. If it whines all the time, it would most likely be too tight. Remember, most rearends whine at least a tad bit. I have a Newer model Jeep Grand Cherokee that has not been worn out and it whines a tad bit between 40-55mph. Do some research and call that randy's place. They are knowledgable and have good prices too. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2002, 02:03 AM

ok guys, guess what? my rear end is grinding really bad again, and whining again, it just started doing it.. this is a joke. THis is the thing, I am in labor about 400.00, do you think I should keep taking my car back to this guy to warranty it and fix it, or just eat the 400 and go to someone else? I dont want to drive my car 2 days and then have it in the shop for 6.. does anyone here know anyone that lives in utah that can do gears? this sucks, im in this rear end way to much money, and i don tknow what to do!

Nate
Old 04-08-2002, 02:06 AM

Well I decided to get 4.10 gears, 2 series, with my 3sp trans.. i know youll think im crazy, but this is not a daily driver, this is a street car, light to light, 1/4 to 1/4, i cant wait to see these gears in action :-)

nate