Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

whining noise on rebuilt trans?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whining noise on rebuilt trans?

Hey guys...

I just had my transmission fully rebuilt with Transgo shift kit, corvette servo, stuff like that. I also installed B&M Megashifter.

Okay now is it bad to start car going from a light in 1st, bring it up in rpm then to 2nd? My transmission seems to give a little bit of a 'whine' when it's in either 1st or 2nd. when i'm in drive there is no noise.

Just that my hooker aerochamber sounds so good at the upper rpm so I usually use 1st/2nd gears when i'm downtown... sounds great

I just don't want to be doing any big damage or anything. Oh I also have a 2400 rpm stall converter... would that have something to do with it? Should I upgrade the trans. cooler?

Bottom line: Is it okay to drive my car in 1st/2nd gears in town and bring 'em up to say, 4 000 rpm?

Please let me know some info on how to drive with this new sweet trans. and what I'm allowed to do to it

thanks
garett
Old 03-23-2002, 08:57 PM

There was a GM technical service bulletin on tranny whine from the 700R4/4L60. Read the tech articles maybe you can replace that part and it could help. Also, definitly install an auxilary Tranny cooler in addition to the crappy factory one. The number one enemy of an automatic is heat. Both the shift kit and ESPECIALLY the 2400 stall generate more heat than stock. The Hayden part number to use for a 92 Z is a 403. It is a bitch to install, but it cost next to nothing for the trouble it can save you down the road. I used to drive my Camaro around like you are talking about, but I have since added a different tranny centrifrugal shift governor so it shifts way later anyway. YOU MUST ADJUST THE TV cable since you have put in that stuff!!! Also, how is the areo chamber at idle and mid range RPM's? I'm going to get an areo chamber cat back.
Old 03-25-2002, 03:48 PM

thanks for the post.
yeah this whining noise is mainly on deacceleration in 1st gear and 2nd gear.... D and OD dont' have this noise... it's weird. I just like to open-up the RPM's in 1st/2nd let the aerochamber roar

the Hooker exhaust is SWEET! The only complaint I have about it is that i'm pretty pissedoff about the tips they give you, mine are rusted already being on only two weeks! What's with that? ahh well.

it sounds great though... it's not too loud ad idle/low-midrpm but when you step on it holey shizat ppl know you're coming

garett