Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Attn: Transfixleo... TV cable...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn: Transfixleo... TV cable...

Transfixleo...

Taken from your TV cable readjust method:

"To adjust the TV Cable skip the book method and do this: Press the 'D' shaped lock button on the adjuster and loosen the cable setting (The black housing that the metal cable is in will move forward). Now, have someone floor the gas pedal while you check to see if the throttle plate is open all the way. Usually they are off a little and will wiggle. Do whatever you have to do to get it open solid. Now, with the pedal still floored, press the 'D' button and pull the cable casing (the black tube) back as hard as you can (putting maximum tension on the metal cable) and release the button. You now have the engine, tranny and gas pedal all in sync at WOT. Mark the cable casing so if for some reason it gets moved you can know where to put it again. The problem with the 'self adjust method' is that it bends things and puts them permanently out of whack. It is also the full TV setting, which is theoretically what the GM method does."

Originally posted by transfixleo
To adjust the TV Cable skip the book method and do this: Press the 'D' shaped lock button on the adjuster and loosen the cable setting (The black housing that the metal cable is in will move forward).
How exactly do ya loosen the cable?
Which cable is it?

Now, have someone floor the gas pedal while you check to see if the throttle plate is open all the way. Usually they are off a little and will wiggle. Do whatever you have to do to get it open solid.
OK I'm guessing trying to move it straight (horizontal) with my fingers right?

Now, with the pedal still floored, press the 'D' button and pull the cable casing (the black tube) back as hard as you can (putting maximum tension on the metal cable) and release the button.
Wait, wait, I am already holding the D button, now I have to press it again? When did I release it??
Pull which cable casing? What do you mean by pull, towards the headlights or towards the windshield?

You now have the engine, tranny and gas pedal all in sync at WOT. Mark the cable casing so if for some reason it gets moved you can know where to put it again. The problem with the 'self adjust method' is that it bends things and puts them permanently out of whack. It is also the full TV setting, which is theoretically what the GM method does.
Which cable casing do I mark?
What is the self adjust method, your way or the book way?

--Sorry for the break down transfixleo, but words are tough to understand without pictures. Could you post some pictures of what you're talkin about. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2002, 11:46 PM

It's not that difficult. press the D shaped button down when you want to move the cable housing. move it forward (towards the front of the car) or backwards (towards the rear of the car), The cable should be at full pull when the throttle is wide open. What cable is it? Hmm.. should be the one going to the transmission. Have someone sit in the car and put the pedal (gas pedal) to the floor (obviously you want the engine to be off) press the D button down and move the cable back (towards the rear of the car) If you can't figure it out you can always take it to a transmission shop.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:00 PM

BTT
:lala: Transfixleo...
Old 02-05-2002, 04:31 AM
Supreme Member

https://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/detent.shtml

This is a link that brings up a tech article posted on thirdgen.org.
It shows, though not real clear where things are and the factory adjustment method. Use that to get the idea and then follow my method.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TeamTripp Performance
This article by GMTech over on SEThirdgen.org has pictures in it-

TV Cable Adjustment