Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

9 bolt posi rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 07:54 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
9 bolt posi rebuilding

anybody rebuild their 9 bolt posi according to the procedure found here on 3rdgen.org?

I have my cover off now, figured I would change the gear oil, but I know that dead posi is holding me back from being more competitive at auto-x. The procedure looks pretty involved, and I'm not so sure I want to F with it.

Larry
89 9bolt 3:45 rear
Old 01-13-2002, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Larry, I have a similar situation (bad posi going to hurt me in autox). My 9-bolt's posi is also tired. When I put my snow tires on, I was again able to leave two back strips when I nail the accelerator (lack of dry traction with Blizzaks). I know that when I put the sticky tires back on, I have a problem.

One thing I have learned is that you are NOT supposed to put the posi additive in the BW rear ends, according to a GM TSB. I know that the additive was put in mine last year. So, I researched and found a Red Line Oil that will work in the rear that does not have the posi additive (friction modifiers) to put into the rear at the next opportunity. Some nationally competitive, local autox-ers have reportedly used this oil and it did improve the posi action without a mechanical mod. I now have the oil (ordered it from summitracing.com) and plan to change the rear end gear oil in the next week or so.

I don't know if this will improve things, but I am hoping. I, too, read the procedure on this web site to service the rear and decided that I would probably screw it up. If this oil doesn't improve things to my satifaction, I will probably buy a new posi unit or give the procedure to a mechanic I trust to implement it for me. I haven't decided which I will do yet.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2002, 05:02 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

can you show me the TSB that says not to use posi additive in the borg warner rear?? I would love to see it. I just opened the 89 FSM and is says ALL limited slip units require the additive. so that includs the 9-bolt.

who are the national guys running 3rd gen 9-bolts? I know 1 guy has an 89 TTA, so that would have a 9-bolt. The FS winner was in an 89 iroc, so that probably has the 9-bolt too. But I don't know either of them personally. Do you know these guys? It would be great if you can pass along their e-mail address.

most all of the other guys run 4th gens, so their rears are different.

thx
larryburd@mail.com
Old 01-13-2002, 11:38 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 90 RS 'Vert, 88 IROC-Z, 88 Firebird
Engine: 305 ci tbi, 305 ci tpi, 350 ci tpi
Transmission: WC-T5, WC-T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.27, 3.27
I would like to see such a TSB as well. Was the tech article you are referring to written by Karl Hunter of Hunter Motorsports? Lon
Old 01-14-2002, 06:57 AM

I'm at work right now - so I will tell you this now and come back later and be more comprehensive during my lunch break.

Sometime in November/December I started (or maybe participated in a thread) where this was all brought to light. Do a search and you'll probably find it.

As far as 9-bolt-specific items relating to the additive is concerned, my statements above refer to 4th gen drivers that had previous run third gen cars. Even some 4th gen drivers don't use the additive to make the posi action "stronger".

The best resource that I am aware of for information such is this is Sam Strano at www.stranoparts.com Unfortunately, we are not very fond of each other (we had a pissing contest on this site a while back), but I would encourage you to contact him. After our thirdgen.org tiff, he came out to one of my events to kick my butt. He was successful.

Like I said, give me a few hours...
Old 01-14-2002, 08:00 AM

Ahhh... I really don't feel like working today...

Here is the thread referenced above...

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...&highlight=TSB
Old 01-14-2002, 08:39 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

you refer to an article that was on strano's web page. I believe that article about using heavier gear oil was only related to the newer 4th gen diffs. certainly not the 9 bolt rears.

I just looked for the article, but I couldn't find it.

I'm still not so sure about not adding the additive. Why would GM come out with a service bulliten 10 years after the fact??
They went back to 10 bolts in either 90 or 91 for the F-body
Larry
Old 01-14-2002, 09:19 AM

Well, I don't necessarily refer to a specific article, but rather provided the URL as a starting point to contact him (Sam Strano). He still compaigns and ESP 3rd gen 1LE and he has been indirectly quoted as a resource for information like this. I would say that he would know as much as anyone about these rears since he's run them for so many years.

As far as the posi additive is concerned, I have some conflicting information regarding what it really is. According to a Chevy parts manager (quoted in the above thread), it is there to reduce noise. However, the bottles of additive claim that the additive contains friction modifiers and should be added to extend the life of the unit. Best I can tell through deduction, the additive strives to extend the life of the posi by making the gear oil more slippery. ...could be flaw logic, but that is the assumption that I am operating on.

Since my posi unit is mostly burned out anyway, I figured I put this Red Line Oil in there, without the additive, and see if the posi works better afterwards. While I am pretty sure that this will accelerate the wear of the unit, the way I see it, I've got nothing to lose if I burn the unit up by doing this - it's already partially gone anyways. I will likely have to replace this unit anyway and if I get a few months out of it, it's an expense that I have delayed.

Also, I'll learn something (good or bad) and be able to pass it along to you guys on this site...
Old 01-14-2002, 09:31 AM

Sorry for the typos in the above - my boss kept coming into my office and I didn't proof the text before submission. It should say -

"Well, I don't necessarily refer to a specific article, but rather provided the URL as a starting point to contact him (Sam Strano). He still campaigns an ESP 3rd Gen 1LE and he has been indirectly quoted as a resource for information like this. I would say that he would know as much as anyone about these rears since he's run them for so many years.

As far as the posi additive is concerned, I have some conflicting information regarding what it really is. According to a Chevy parts manager (quoted in the above thread), it is there to reduce noise. However, the bottles of additive claim that the additive contains friction modifiers and should be added to extend the life of the unit. Best I can tell through deduction, the additive strives to extend the life of the posi by making the gear oil more slippery. ...could be flawed logic, but that is the assumption that I am operating on.

Since my posi unit is mostly burned out anyway, I figured if I put this Red Line Oil in there, without the additive, and the posi works better afterwards I will learn something. While I am pretty sure that this will accelerate the wear of the unit, the way I see it, I've got nothing to lose if I burn the unit up by doing this - it's already partially gone anyways (and useless for autox purposes right now). I will likely have to replace this unit anyway and if I get a few months out of it, it's an expense that I have delayed.

Also, I'll learn something (good or bad) and be able to pass it along to you guys on this site..."