Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Transmission toast (TH700R4)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 06:36 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 222 Likes on 192 Posts
Transmission toast (TH700R4)?

It's slipping pretty bad in 2nd gear... and seemingly only in 2nd gear. Around 2000 rpm if I give it some gas, it'll slip badly and catch around 3500...

Is this thing toast, or is there something inexpensive that needs fixing. Don't know a whole lot about automatic transmissions...

My long term plan was a TCI 6X, but probably won't afford that for a couple of years... if this trans is toast, pretty much going to park the Camaro for a couple of years. Don't want put a lot of money into fixing the current one...
Old 02-20-2016, 07:50 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Re: Transmission toast (TH700R4)?

1-2 accumulator piston perhaps? Reading online, they say a this type of thing is a symptom, as is an abnormallly hard 1-2 shift... and lately the 1-2 shift has been noticeably harder. But I had originally chalked that up to a power increase that occurred about the same time.

fluid level is good and TV cable was readjusted.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got similar issues with manual transmission but im thinking it could also be connected to my engines wonky idle
Old 02-21-2016, 12:54 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

If the TV cable is adjusted correctly, then most likely the 2-4 band and the reverse/input drum are history. The band will burn from slipping and dish the drum. This problem is less common than losing the 3-4 clutches. If the band and drum are not yet ruined, adding the Corvette servo and the .500" main and .296" intermediate/reverse boost valve can fix this. The TV cable must be tight at WOT. Have someone push the gas pedal to the floor slowly and make whatever adjustment is necessary to achieve this.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Ok, I drove the car today and I think I have the symptoms fully characterized.

1.) Take off from standstill moderate power in first gear => No issues.

2.) 1-2 shift => very slushy. Earlier on (before 2nd gear slip was abruptly noticed) it was abnormally hard. Per original post, the late/hard shifting was detected several weeks ago.

3.) Driving in 2nd gear => bad slipping when anything more than light throttle is applied.

4.) 2-3 shift => Firm but typical. Nothing has changed here.

5.) Driving in third => no change even under moderate power.

6.) 3-4 shift => Firm, but typical.

7.) Driving in 4th => No change. Accelerates well even under moderate power, no slipping detected whatsoever. Converter locks up as normal, but I don't think that would mask a problem with the 2-4 band (or am I mistaken here?).

So bottom line the problem appears to be localized to the 1-2 shift and 2nd gear itself.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:47 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,419 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Listen to Dana.

If 2nd has been slipping, the band is smoked. Doesn't too much matter WHY it's been slipping, in this particular matter; if it's been slipping, it's smoked.

If it's been slipping for a long time, the drum (the band applies to the outside of it) is smoked too. Even if it doesn't have grooves worn in it and such as that, the metal has got hot and turned blue and otherwise become altered. The drum needs to be replaced.

The underlying cause of the slippage could be either the servo or accumulator, or possibly something in the valve body, or boost valve being wore out. (although that last would likely cause other symptoms as well which you don't mention, specifically major trouble with reverse)

Ultimately, if you fix the parts damaged by the slipping (replace the band and drum) but don't fix the cause (most likely the servo), the slipping will continue unabated and you'll just burn up another set of parts. Likewise, if you fix the cause (the servo, let's say) but don't replace the destroyed power transmission components (band & drum) you might not even be able to tell you fixed it because the other stuff may be so ruined that it no longer has any chance of working right.

In other words, rebuild time.

It's always worth checking to make sure the TV cable is set to the proper length, but it doesn't sound like that's the problem and therefore doesn't sound like messing with it, even if it's not set right now, will fix the damage that has already been done.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Yeah slipping became apparent just yesterday and very abruptly. Before that, not even a hint of slippage. I guess I'llI'll drop the pan and see what's going on with the accumulator. That seems like the easiest thing to check first.