Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T5 to T5 world class

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3:45
T5 to T5 world class

I have a 305 and a T5 which is currently dying and I was just going to do a rebuild, but a friend of mine offered me his V6 fourth gen for $300. If I'm not mistaken the manual trannys in those are the world class T5s. So is installing a world class about the same as a normal T5 or does anything need to be added/altered? And would this be a better option than rebuilding my current one?
Old 10-27-2015, 06:10 PM
jmd
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: T5 to T5 world class

The input shaft is longer.
The front of the case is Ford pattern vs. the Muncie pattern used in third gens.
The VSS may need a conversion box for the signal.
The ratios are wider and less fun to drive.
If your 88 box is original, it is "second design" / WC, and had excellent ratios for a V8 third gen.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by jmd
The input shaft is longer.
The front of the case is Ford pattern vs. the Muncie pattern used in third gens.
The VSS may need a conversion box for the signal.
The ratios are wider and less fun to drive.
If your 88 box is original, it is "second design" / WC, and had excellent ratios for a V8 third gen.
So essentially I should just go with the rebuild?
Old 10-27-2015, 06:41 PM

I just looked it up and WC started in 88, is there a way to confirm that I have the WC and not the original design? I just want to be positive before I buy anything.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,419 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

2nd design on the bottom.

Look at the countergear bearing: the round thing about 2½" dia toward the bottom of the case. Note that the 1st design is flat, with sort of rolled-over edges, looks a bit like a freeze plug sitting upside down, and it's shiny; 2nd design it has a depression in the center that makes it look like it has a narrow ridge around it, very squared-off sharp edges, and is dull and dark colored.

You can get up under the car and look without even taking the trans out of the car.

I refuse to use that stoooopid "trendy" "PIT team" "TQM" buzzword from the 80s that some fresh-out-of-business-school intern must have said to his grizzled old idiot boss that had been living under a rock for the last 30 yrs of his career as he coasted into retirement, and the boss didn't know it was just a buzzword and thought it was an "original" and "compelling" name. I throw up in the back of my mouth a little bit every time I see it, and when I get rid of that, laugh at how stoooooooooooooopid people can be if they don't come out of their cave once in awhile and READ something printed in the last decade or so.