Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

suspect shift cable needs replaced...would like input

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspect shift cable needs replaced...would like input

The car in question is a 1984 Camaro Z28 H.O. It's stock everything as far as I know and if I've searched correctly, should be the 700R4.

So the car drove to work a few mornings ago...no wierdness, no sounds, no grinding...no nothing out of the ordinary. After sitting all day in the sun, we went out to it after work (about 4:00p). Started it up....started right up as always. Depressed button on shifter, pulled back into Reverse and as soon as Park disengaged the shifter would move freely up and down through all gear spots as long as the button was depressed. So the locks work right on the shifter itself.

I opened up the console and can watch the cable, sheath and all, going in and out of the housing freely. I mean there is NO resistance whatsover as long as that shift **** button is depressed.

I am thinking I have either a cable that needs to be replaced or that problem with the bolts coming out I read on here. Does this sound like the most likely culprits?

My issue is I have not been able to get under and look yet. The car is stuck in N, the ebrake is broken as well and it's not on the levelest spot in the world. Tires are chocked.

My plan is to roll it back further into the yard where it is level and soft dirt. Figure that's my best chances for chock's holding as it goes up.

I know what I am looking for is on the driver side underneath but will this be readily visible or is there a cover or bracket that has to be taken off first to get to it all?

Advice or links for finding a direct GM replacement? I have to go with Napa given where we live if there is not something online somewhere that you know about.

I figured I'd also fix the Ebrake while I was under there but that's a post for another thread.

Thanks in advance for advice or helpful tips.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird,00 c2500,75 Vette
Engine: 3.1 but 350 soon, 350, 350
Transmission: T56 soon
Axle/Gears: stock 3.42 Posi to come
Re: suspect shift cable needs replaced...would like input

It sounds as though the clip on the cable housing is no longer attached so the housing just moves. I would see if it is broken or just came loose.
If broken I would recommend trying to find a good used one as; from the info found on here; there seems to be problems with the new replacement shift cables breaking after a short time. I got mine from Thirdgenranch.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 91phoenix
It sounds as though the clip on the cable housing is no longer attached so the housing just moves. I would see if it is broken or just came loose.
If broken I would recommend trying to find a good used one as; from the info found on here; there seems to be problems with the new replacement shift cables breaking after a short time. I got mine from Thirdgenranch.
Thank you for the info. I've gotten ahold of some solid concrete blocks I can use to help me get it up in the air safely. I hate just trusting jack stands.

Will dig into it tonight.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:40 PM

She's back on the road. I hit up CL for someone getting rid of some huge concrete blocks. I was able to get the car successfully chocked and lifted so that the front tires were resting on 16" of concrete block with the jack and a jack stand backing that up. As soon as I looked at it the issue was obvious. The retaining clip that holds the shifter cable to the actual shift lever was gone. Cable was just sitting there..hanging out (literaly). I mic'd the nipple to be 1/4" and went to the auto store. I got a beautiful little retaining lock that goes over the nipple and then a metal piece snaps over the end of it. I backed that up with a cotter pin clamp on each side so it is triple redundant.