Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

flywheel teeth sheared off

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 94 camaro z28
Engine: lt1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.73
flywheel teeth sheared off

The car is a 1986 T/A currently with a 383 and a T5 but started as an LG4 car.
When I go to start it it made a terrible grinding so I stopped right away to check it out. It appears the starter isnt making contact with the flywheel the whole way and its been like that for a while because the whole thing looks like this.
Now i dont know why the starter isnt lining up or if the flywheel is toast but any help would be appreciated as I've only had the car two weeks and cant keep throwing money at it Ill have to sell it if i cant get it running again soon.
Attached Thumbnails flywheel teeth sheared off-100_0578.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 04:50 PM
jmd
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: flywheel teeth sheared off

One option for using a "305/350" flywheel on a "383/400" engine is a balance weight that bolts in between the flywheel and crank. Some of them are about .100" thick which means the starter teeth only partially engage the flywheel teeth. Unfortunately, this tends to have a shorter life for the starter and flywheel. That's my guess.

A ring gear pressed onto the flywheel too far or a defective starter are other possibilities.

There is no original application for a 153 tooth flywheel balanced for a 400 small block. But they are made by the aftermarket. Or a new one can be balanced for a 400 by a machine shop, which sometimes involves jumping through the hoop of having several people tell you the WHOLE DISASSEMBLED ENGINE needs brought in. It doesn't; just another correct 400 SBC flywheel to which the 350 flywheel can be matched.

The teeth of the starter need inspected at this point of course.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jmd
One option for using a "305/350" flywheel on a "383/400" engine is a balance weight that bolts in between the flywheel and crank. Some of them are about .100" thick which means the starter teeth only partially engage the flywheel teeth. Unfortunately, this tends to have a shorter life for the starter and flywheel. That's my guess.

A ring gear pressed onto the flywheel too far or a defective starter are other possibilities.

There is no original application for a 153 tooth flywheel balanced for a 400 small block. But they are made by the aftermarket. Or a new one can be balanced for a 400 by a machine shop, which sometimes involves jumping through the hoop of having several people tell you the WHOLE DISASSEMBLED ENGINE needs brought in. It doesn't; just another correct 400 SBC flywheel to which the 350 flywheel can be matched.

The teeth of the starter need inspected at this point of course.
How short are you talking because honestly its a T5 which i don't expect to last more than a year or so anyway behind the motor.
How cost effective is the option of a machined or aftermarket flywheel because i would honestly hate to dump money into the T5 when it just is gonna shatter on me as it already drips all over my driveway even though it shifts smooth.
I checked the starter teeth when is was down there and they seem fine, its a summit racing mini starter if anyone wants to know.
Also it's a 2 piece rms if that makes a difference.

Last edited by Savage388; 07-09-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Looks to me like you have The Starter Bolt Hole Problem, wherein the starter bolt holes are drilled too far from the crank, making it IMPOSSIBLE for the starter to EVER line up to the flywheel.

"High nickel" block? Come with some kind of non-believable sob story from the PO about "wife wanted something with better gas mileage" or similar drivel? Freshly built just before you got it but you miraculously weren't able to hear it run just then, some minor thing was conveniently disabled and then the PO drove it over to you later and dropped it off already running? Motor "out of a Corvette"? Who drilled the holes? Got the right starter bolts on it? BOTH OF THEM?

I've never seen or heard of ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY like this situation, in case you can't tell.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Looks to me like you have The Starter Bolt Hole Problem, wherein the starter bolt holes are drilled too far from the crank, making it IMPOSSIBLE for the starter to EVER line up to the flywheel.

"High nickel" block? Come with some kind of non-believable sob story from the PO about "wife wanted something with better gas mileage" or similar drivel? Freshly built just before you got it but you miraculously weren't able to hear it run just then, some minor thing was conveniently disabled and then the PO drove it over to you later and dropped it off already running? Motor "out of a Corvette"? Who drilled the holes? Got the right starter bolts on it? BOTH OF THEM?

I've never seen or heard of ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY like this situation, in case you can't tell.
I heard it run and it ran great in the test drive and the entire two hour trip back to my house then started great for about a week before the ignition switch crapped out. Then the day after I got it back this happened.(yes a shop did it got a good price and with all my work I took it)The guy had it for 9 years and the motor is not a fresh build he said he bought it that way and by the little but of oil and grime I'd believe it. I have no idea what the block is I'll have to check to see but he never played up the motor like he was trying to sell it he just said he didn't use it and the with all his bikes and cars it had to go because he wasn't going to finish it anytime soon and the car was in agarage under a cover.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:39 PM

Update: I pulled the starter and it turns out it is a gm performance mini starter and the teeth are perfect for some reason. I have heard the bendix on mini starter doesnt come out as far as an oem one so could I solve my problem by going back to oem? I'd really like to figure this out before I spend all my money to replace my flywheel.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:49 PM
jmd
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

Well, I swapped a T5 for a T56 behind a 400 not long ago.
I ran into the exact same problem. His starter was a lifetime warranty autozone one and it got replaced. The T5 flywheel with spacer was swapped to a Spec with the spacer which didn't work with the clutch fork, so we went with a 400-balanced Centerforce without a spacer.

My first post in this thread has "figured it out" for you. I know you're frustrated at having to pull the flywheel and figure out whether someone else used the balance plate but you have to either replace the flywheel with one for a 400 or replace the ring gear on it and have it balanced. Because if you replace the ring gear only and continue to use the balance plate, you'll have the same problem.

Case closed. Get to work and enjoy that car.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by jmd
Well, I swapped a T5 for a T56 behind a 400 not long ago.
I ran into the exact same problem. His starter was a lifetime warranty autozone one and it got replaced. The T5 flywheel with spacer was swapped to a Spec with the spacer which didn't work with the clutch fork, so we went with a 400-balanced Centerforce without a spacer.

My first post in this thread has "figured it out" for you. I know you're frustrated at having to pull the flywheel and figure out whether someone else used the balance plate but you have to either replace the flywheel with one for a 400 or replace the ring gear on it and have it balanced. Because if you replace the ring gear only and continue to use the balance plate, you'll have the same problem.

Case closed. Get to work and enjoy that car.
Well then I'll have to consider my options because a balanced 400 flywheel is way too expensive to not consider just doing a t56, although right now I don't have enough money for either so I guess I have time to think about what I can do while I build up some cash.