Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Blowproof Bellhousings

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82' Trans Am
Engine: 383
Transmission: t-56
Axle/Gears: 3:73
Blowproof Bellhousings

Hey guys,
I have an 82 trans am with a 500hp 383 stroker, 3:73 gears and the t-56
I ordered a centerforce dual friction clutch and a Ram aluminum flywheel.
I have read alot of reviews on the aluminum flywheel in a street cars, some people love them and some say they are to hard to take off with. There are pros and cons just like anything. Well I am going to try it out. This is a car I will only be driving a few times a month. I think the faster rpm will make it fun to drive.
What I am concered about is the aluminum flywheel failing and damaging me or my car.
I have been reading up on blowproof bellhousings. Does anyone make one to fit my car with the t-56. Has anyone on here installed one and how do the fit? Also please feel free to let me know what you think about my set up with the aluminum flywheel
This is my first build and I have a lot to learn.
Thanks
Old 11-10-2011, 11:52 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Blowproof Bellhousings

I had the McLeod T56 scattershield installed in my car. It has the bellhousing and the engine plate to protect the motor. As far as my mechanic was concerned, it was a very straightforward bolt-in installation. It's a heavy sucker too so I have confidence that I won't be losing my legs in the future. The only thing I have to complain about with it is the fact that you lose ground clearance. The lip at the bottom is currently the lowest part of the car.

As far as the aluminum flywheel, I run the Ram 2554 aluminum flywheel with the Spec 3 clutch. It's about 18 lbs, so it's pretty lightweight, but the stock LT1 F-body flywheel is about 20lbs so I dont think it's too much of a difference. My experience is it's a fun car to drive but starting in 1st gear is EXTREMELY annoying. I think this has more to do with the clutch than the flywheel though. The Spec 3 is a racing puck-style clutch and grabs extremely hard and is pretty much an on/off clutch. It can be slipped but you're only about an eighth of an inch away from full engagement, and taking off smoothly takes some getting used to. If I lived in a rural area, I'd love this clutch but I live in Brooklyn, NYC, so I can't wait to get this clutch out of there. I'm more a cruiser type driver and this clutch was made more for street/strip with more of an emphasis on strip IMHO.

I bought the clutch and the flywheel together used not knowing what I was getting myself into. If this clutch is this grabby after 6000 miles, I'd hate to think what it was like when it was new. I think I'm going to go with a McLeod Street Pro single disc, or a Centerforce Dual Friction as my next clutch with the Ram Aluminum flywheel.

Last edited by JekyllandHyde; 11-10-2011 at 11:56 AM.