Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

'92 camaro rs wants to engage when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 camaro rs anniversary edition
Engine: v8 5.0 Tbi
'92 camaro rs wants to engage when stopped

my '92 camaro rs, when stopped (foot on brake), wants to "move forward", someone mentioned it may be my bands and i am just getting a heads up before taking it to a tranny shop... could it be the bands? if so, what price am i looking at? could it be worse? if so, what else could it be? when the car is in park, it idles fine and doesnt want to go anywhere, but when its trying to move forward the idle almost behaves like it is going to stall...
any help/advice will be appreciated
Old 09-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 RS, 05 GTO (sold), 10 TL AWD
Engine: 383 HSR w/DSC1
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Strange S60/3.73
Re: '92 camaro rs wants to engage when stopped

The urge to move forward and the stall comments seem to be at odds to me. I think I know what you mean though, the brakes at a stop light don't seem to have enough power unless you stomp them to hold the car. The reason I say they seem at odds is because the stall issue is usually related to an idle setting that is too low and the "surge" issue to an idle that is set a bit too fast (low stall rpm torque convert. lock-up stock).

Then again the issue could be vacuum. The booster is vacuum assist so if for some reason you are not producing enough vacuum, your idle could be just fine and still not have enough power for the brakes. Have you checked the vacuum lines to the booster? I know some lines were plastic and at this point in time are usually pretty brittle.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 camaro rs anniversary edition
Engine: v8 5.0 Tbi

thnx 92rs/ss, i probably use stall too often, lol! when i am stopped and in drive- like u said, the brakes almost dont seem to hold it- but it isnt thruout the whole duration of the stop...and while it is intermittently surging the idle is real choppy or rough, as a woman- it makes my heart sink thinking it is going to stall on me right there- but it never does stall...so ur right abt how it feels (brake not wanting to hold) but it is intermittent thruout the time stopped, and while it is in drive and braked the idle is really rough and choppy...hope that helps and actually i just replaced the vac lines abt a month ago- and i think i did a good job getting all the connections...
Old 09-28-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 84 454 monte, 89 formula, 86 camaro
Engine: the bigger the better
Transmission: 700/4L60 in everything
Axle/Gears: wish they were all 4.10's or better

sounds like you have a vacuum leak and it is making the idle high and surge. That will also make the power brakes not so power-- should be easy to find -- listen for the hissing noise and follow it to it's source, or use carb cleaner, the idle speed will change when the spray is directed at the leak