Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Breaking Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88' Iroc
Engine: 388 Stroker
Transmission: Turbo 350 w/ 2500 stall.
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Poss.
Breaking Transmission?

Hey guys, I just have switched over to the Moroso soild mounts in my 88 camaro. I am running a TH350 and I have heard a lot of comments on run the rubber mount when you switch to a solid motor mount, so thats what I ran. Well I am breaking the case on the transmission, where the case bolts to the block if you come back about 10 in or so, I am breaking it all the way around and actually pulling the transmission out in two pieces. I have broke 2 cases so far and would like to figure out the problem before I put another one in it and do the same thing a 3rd time.
Any input would be great, Thanks.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: Breaking Transmission?

The problem is you keep beating your head against a wall and asking why it hurts.

There's no benefit to a solid trans. mount.

Put a poly mount in.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '90 Formula 350
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt S/S 700-R4 & ACT 9" Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23

So are running rubber, poly, or solid trans mounts?

I agree with jmd. I've ran solid mounts for over 2k miles on the street with rubber trans mount without issues. A properly designed poly should work also. That being said if you find viberations then the new mount might be the issue.

There needs to be some play in there that's why solid motor and solid trans mounts aren't recommended. The motor will twist enough to stress the trans case and crack it.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

The solid transmission mount will break the TH350 as described. I have seen it a few times over the years. Always use rubber mounts on the block, just add a chain with a little slack left in it between the block and the frame. That way when you nail the throttle, it will take up the slack in the chain, but without breaking ther motor mount, and without the vibration of using solid mounts.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

The problem is you keep beating your head against a wall
Hey, I do that all the time!! Wanna know why?

Because it feels so good when I quit!!

Same here. If you're trashing parts by using solid mounts, then, .... ,,,,, .......... ,,,, ummmm,,,,, .... I forgot what I was going to say. It was going to be something obvious though, but you're smart so you'll figure it out. I'm sure it involved that, a street car that uses a 2500 RPM converter, isn't in the class of things where solid mounts are the right solution, NO MATTER WHAT the problem is thought to be.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:45 PM

Maybe I didnt make myself clear enough on that one, I am running solid motor mounts. I put a brand new poly transmission mount on it. I have broke two cases on a TH350 with solid motor mounts and a poly transmission mount. (The recommended mount to be used with the solid motor mounts)
Old 09-14-2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Hey, I do that all the time!! Wanna know why?

Because it feels so good when I quit!!

Same here. If you're trashing parts by using solid mounts, then, .... ,,,,, .......... ,,,, ummmm,,,,, .... I forgot what I was going to say. It was going to be something obvious though, but you're smart so you'll figure it out. I'm sure it involved that, a street car that uses a 2500 RPM converter, isn't in the class of things where solid mounts are the right solution, NO MATTER WHAT the problem is thought to be.

How many people you think are running around on the street that dont need solid mounts but yet they have them? They may not run em because they need them maybe cause uh.....they can? I guess that explains the whole "Everyone runs their OWN setup." Just throwing that out their since you were such good help with the post
Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Like the half rubber, half polly trick you hear of,
I hear the same for only using 1 solid motor mount.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:31 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

Originally Posted by 88IROC388
Maybe I didnt make myself clear enough on that one, I am running solid motor mounts. I put a brand new poly transmission mount on it. I have broke two cases on a TH350 with solid motor mounts and a poly transmission mount. (The recommended mount to be used with the solid motor mounts)
So pull the solid engine mounts and put poly or rubber ones in. Chalk it up as a lesson learned the hard way.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Supreme Member

How many people you think are running around on the street that dont need solid mounts but yet they have them? They may not run em because they need them maybe cause uh.....they can?
And out of those, how many do you suppose, have busted their trans because of it??

And then out of THOSE, how many have learned the lesson and gone back to common sense instead of some kind of poseur wannabee pretending?

Because uhhhhhh..... they "always heard" that "all the fast cars run em" so they uhhhhhh ..... figured theirs would go faster if they ran em too??

No idea why.

"Because they can" won't convince the metal to find strength somehow that it doesn't have.

This is not rocket science here. It's on the same level with "Doc every time I hit my thumb with a hammer it hurts! What can I do about it?" and the answer is.... uhhhh... QUIT DOING THAT. Would you tell the doc "But I WANT TO!! Make it stop hurting!"? Then why do that here? Doesn't matter that "you can" hurt yourself; if you're doing something and it HURTS, then if you want it to STOP hurting, QUIT DOING IT.

Just not that hard to figure out.

Solid mounts are for cars with lots of power and a stiff chassis. If your car doesn't have enough power to break ALL non-solid ones, you don't "need" a solid one, and it doesn't do any good. There is no benefit of any kind. All pain, no gain. If your car's chassis isn't thoroughly rigid, then a solid mount forces the engine & trans castings to absorb ALL of the chassis flex around them. They can't. Therefore SOMETHING has to give, and usually it's not the chassis, or the mount.

People have been making that mistake for as long as I've been in this hobby. I guess they never learn. Too bad.

If you want to quit breaking parts, get the right thing.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:47 PM

I respect that sofakingdom, very well put. Thanks.
So your saying my best bet is going to be just chunk the solid motor mounts and go back with a full poly setup?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Supreme Member

Yes, basically that's it...

I don't want to be mean or anything.

Reduce risk. Evaluate benefit. If the risk/benefit ratio is not favorable, why take on the risk? That's all.