Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T5 Clutch lever/fork return actuation question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T5 Clutch lever/fork return actuation question

Hi, new here. Before I start there is something that I have to get off my chest. I don’t have a Camaro (dodging rotten fruit/vegetables). What I do have is a 1973 Datsun Z with a Chevy V8 and a T5 transmission. If you are reading this that means that I have not been banned as of yet….So far so good. I have not been able to track down the exact year of the T5 that I have in the car, the only thing that I have been able to find is a receipt for a slave cylinder from a 1983 305 V8 Camaro.

I am going to install a new slave cylinder tomorrow. I got the car without a slave cylinder, except for the burnt up one in the trunk. From the pyrotechnic show that the car put on when I get her first started up, due to the mummified exhaust wrap, I have a good idea how the previous slave cylinder burnt up. In looking at the clutch lever coming out of the bell housing I am a bit confused though. The clutch lever I have has a semi-spherical opening for the ball on the push rod end of the slave cylinder to push on during actuation, but no type of fork or attachment point to pull the lever back in after actuation, and I don’t see how the lever is supposed to return after the actuation of the slave cylinder’s push rod. I have included a picture of the type of clutch lever/fork that I have. With the car off, when I push on the lever by hand towards the back of the car there just a slight amount of resistance, but when pulling the lever back towards the front of the car this absolutely no resistance. Am I missing some sort of helper/return spring that pulls the lever back in? Does the lever rely on the pressure plate and the throw out bearing to return to its natural position, and if so do I have some sort of internal problem? Am I just some idiot posting on a Camaro board with a Datsun that has no idea how a hydraulic clutch works (hopefully and quite possibly)?
Attached Thumbnails T5 Clutch lever/fork return actuation question-clutch-slave.jpg  

Last edited by tommott77; 08-01-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:08 PM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: T5 Clutch lever/fork return actuation question

No.
Yes.
Maybe.
Possibly.

The diaphragm spring of the clutch returns the throwout bearing (and thus fork/lever, and thus the actuation rod of the slave and thus the hydraulics and then the pedal) to where it belongs.

Your assembly picture is correct for an 84-92 F-body (83 was still z-bar/bellcrank mechanical linkage.)

One common error made in assembly is when the fork is installed into the throwout bearing with the spring clip outside of the bearing groove. Both the fork and it's clip go in the same groove. Like so.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd
No.
Yes.
Maybe.
Possibly.

The diaphragm spring of the clutch returns the throwout bearing (and thus fork/lever, and thus the actuation rod of the slave and thus the hydraulics and then the pedal) to where it belongs.

Your assembly picture is correct for an 84-92 F-body (83 was still z-bar/bellcrank mechanical linkage.)

One common error made in assembly is when the fork is installed into the throwout bearing with the spring clip outside of the bearing groove. Both the fork and it's clip go in the same groove. Like so.
The car was supposedly driven into storage about 6 years ago, and the transmisison has not been opend up since then. So I am not sure how there could have been a problem in assembling the fork/clip/throw out bearing. Curious though, is there way to re-clip that clip (or at least check it) by getting through the boot on the bell housing without dropping the transmission?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi

Originally Posted by tommott77
The car was supposedly driven into storage about 6 years ago, and the transmisison has not been opend up since then. So I am not sure how there could have been a problem in assembling the fork/clip/throw out bearing. Curious though, is there way to re-clip that clip (or at least check it) by getting through the boot on the bell housing without dropping the transmission?
No

You must remove the transmission in order to detach the clutch fork from the throwout bearing in order to reattach it properly. The input shaft gets in the way otherwise.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:52 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

Originally Posted by tommott77
re-clipping a fork onto a throwout bearing in that manner will result in clip being tweaked & sprung and no longer functional.