Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Electronic/Mechanical VSS Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Z28, 87 442 (Sold)
Engine: 5.0, 5.7,
Transmission: 4 Speed autos
Electronic/Mechanical VSS Help

OK, I'm about to build a half electric/half mechanical 700R4 that I plan to use on a TBI swap into an older Camaro...

My question is that there are two GM part numbers (and several aftermarket equivalents) for the 9C1 and B4C cars that had a VSS that would support both a mechanical speedo and provide the 4000 pulse VSS input for the ECM.

The OE part numbers are:
10456131 and

I'm assuming that one is for driven gears with 39 teeth or less and the other is for driven gears with 40 teeth or more.

Does anyone here know:
1) if in fact that is the case and
2) if I'm right, which one is which.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:08 AM
jmd
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
Re: Electronic/Mechanical VSS Help

1) Yes
2) Good question. Other than GM & Delco, I've looked at 5 other PN for each one and still haven't found that.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:52 AM

After a ton of review of every other 700R4 sensor body over the years.

In every other case the larger part number is for the larger gear set.

I think it is probably a safe bet that the '132 is for the 40 and up and the '131 is for the 39 and down.

Also interesting there are lots of threads on this forum that recommend that we buy these from JTR. With all due respect to Jags that Run... These can be bought for $30-60 from RockAuto, Jegs and Oreily and just about everyone... Why would you want to pay over $100 for the same thing from JTR?

Other equivalent part numbers are:

Airtex: 5S4654 and 5S4655
Standard Motor: SC53 and SC55
Wells: SU1111 and SU1112
Old 06-10-2011, 10:42 AM
jmd
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R

You're not taking into account time. In-between when GM discontinues a part due to reasonably planning on servicing the 92-93 B/D/F-body cars that used them and when the aftermarket kicked in, JTR had those parts in stock.

They also put a lot of time in swap information that, unless someone worked in a junkyard, might have taken a long time to gather.

A JTR book is money well spent. Sometimes supporting vendors that offer non-evident value is the right thing to do. Their price includes gears too, which are incorrectly chosen based on the sticky in this forum on a regular basis.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by jmd
You're not taking into account time. In-between when GM discontinues a part due to reasonably planning on servicing the 92-93 B/D/F-body cars that used them and when the aftermarket kicked in, JTR had those parts in stock.

They also put a lot of time in swap information that, unless someone worked in a junkyard, might have taken a long time to gather.

A JTR book is money well spent. Sometimes supporting vendors that offer non-evident value is the right thing to do. Their price includes gears too, which are incorrectly chosen based on the sticky in this forum on a regular basis.
No argument on the book... In fact, I own a copy, I have gone through it more than once, its pages are well dogeared.

OK the book was a slight disappointment in that it is really just 200 pages of:
"Buy a complete engine from a low mileage running car" ,
"Get ALL of it, including the wiring, the intake, exhaust, and the fuel systems",
"Swap it all over with out cutting, modifying, or fiddling with anything", and
"If you need a speed sensor (and you will) we have them available... at (at least) double the price you will pay at Pep Boys" though the book leaves out the part after the ...

The book while a very interesting read, was mostly a "well duh" experience for me. Even with the help of the book, I constantly find it necessary to search out niggly parts to convert a metric quick connect fuel line to a factory rubber one, or how to adapt a oil cooler, or how to wire electric cooling fans, etc. You would think in over 200 pages some of that "cool" info would be there. Or maybe a look at which parts of the wiring harness could be safely deleted/altered. Or maybe a look at which cams will work with the stock TPI/TBI systems with out computer mods, or maybe a section on how to tune the computers/AFPR etc. Or a section on proven mods that work. Or another way, it is too bad that we have this HUGE section with all kinds of part information on how to rough in the air intake system into just about anything and many critical sections are very thin.

Sadly I find way more information here, for free, then I got from the JTR book. but, for the record, I'm happy with it, I would recomend it, and it is a "good read". But it is kinda like reading a back issue of CarCraft, mostly review, with the very rare... "Ah ha" moment.

While I agree we need to support vendors who are making the hobby "easier" there is a fine line between supporting someone and being gouged. JTR needs to make his parts a little more competitve.

Or another way, I have recently seen these sensors go for as little as $28 (including shipping), while I have seen some vendors are asking as much as $90. I know of only one who is asking more then $100 (plus shipping).