Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

trying to upgrade my rear end ratio but im lost

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Chevy Camaros
Engine: 350 5.7
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock rearend
trying to upgrade my rear end ratio but im lost

i have a 1988 chevy camaro 5.7 Iroc z28 with a 700R4 transmission with a stock rear end its a 9 bolt and not posi.want to upgrade my rear end trying to have a better launch so im buying a new 700R4 transmission with a 2300 to 2500 stall torque converter from monster transmission and was planning to get a 3.73 gear ratio and posi traction I also hear the posi traction is a bad idea to make turn and will loss control on wet street and with the 3.73 will eat my gas milegas fast and since im a daily driver I dont need that. so what would be a good setup.
Here is the web site where im going to buy the transmission and torque converter.
http://monstertrans.com/store/produc...ssion-2WD.html

torque converter
http://monstertrans.com/store/produc...500-Stall.html
Old 05-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: trying to upgrade my rear end ratio but im lost

The 9-bolt should be a posi. (or at least, should have been, at one time)

You don't want 3.73s behind a TPI motor, ESPECIALLY a stock 350 one. They force the engine RPM too high too quickly for TPI to support. 3.45 is about as far as you want to go. It is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to find that ratio, as AFAIK it is not available in the aftermarket, and only came in 305 5-speed cars with G92. 3.27 is also good, especially for a stock 350 TPI motor, and even more especially with a higher-stall converter. Basically, the more converter you have, the less you need a steep gear, because the converter takes care of letting the engine get up above idle speed instead of needing the gears to do that.

Furthermore, your current gear may well be a 2.77; in which case, you not only need a gear set and install kit, but also another carrier. Be sure you are well supported on your chair before you look at the price. No don't even bother asking, that's just what they cost, IF you can even actually get one at all.

If you have 3.27s, just leave the rear alone, except maybe fix the posi. Search this forum for stuff like "9-bolt cones new" and see what you can learn. If you have 2.77s, completely abandon the thought of upgrading your current rear, and instead start looking for a used 3.27 one. That path will cost a fraction of the other.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

You should also do a on Monster Transmission on here and read feedback from those that bought them. I never have bought one, but I've also never seen anyone here or anywhere else give more positive feedback on trannies than they do for Pro-Built Automatics. I have seen negative comment on Monster, Raptor, and many other brands here an elesewhere, but never seen a bad word spoken about Pro-Built. And thus if I ever were to buy a tranny, you best know my cash would go to Pro-Built.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Black IROC-Z (SOLD)

Best advice is if it is NOT BROKEN leave it ALONE. Also your statement about " posi-traction" indicates your knowledge about gear changes is limited. So enjoy what you have and stop listening to your friends, They have poor car advice. Same goes for a tranny replacement.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:16 PM

well i was planning to upgrade the motor. but its gonna take awhile and since my tranny is going out I just rather buy a new one and upgrade the rear end to at the same time. so a 3.42 is as far as I can go? I also found this website 9bolt.com
Old 05-15-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
The 9-bolt should be a posi. (or at least, should have been, at one time)

You don't want 3.73s behind a TPI motor, ESPECIALLY a stock 350 one. They force the engine RPM too high too quickly for TPI to support. 3.45 is about as far as you want to go. It is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to find that ratio, as AFAIK it is not available in the aftermarket, and only came in 305 5-speed cars with G92. 3.27 is also good, especially for a stock 350 TPI motor, and even more especially with a higher-stall converter. Basically, the more converter you have, the less you need a steep gear, because the converter takes care of letting the engine get up above idle speed instead of needing the gears to do that.

Furthermore, your current gear may well be a 2.77; in which case, you not only need a gear set and install kit, but also another carrier. Be sure you are well supported on your chair before you look at the price. No don't even bother asking, that's just what they cost, IF you can even actually get one at all.

If you have 3.27s, just leave the rear alone, except maybe fix the posi. Search this forum for stuff like "9-bolt cones new" and see what you can learn. If you have 2.77s, completely abandon the thought of upgrading your current rear, and instead start looking for a used 3.27 one. That path will cost a fraction of the other.
well i was planning to upgrade the motor. but its gonna take awhile and since my tranny is going out I just rather buy a new one and upgrade the rear end to at the same time. so a 3.42 is as far as I can go? I also found this website 9bolt.com
Old 05-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Yeah everybody finds that web site sooner or later...

Good luck.

Yes you don't want to go too far on the gear. Ever drive a 4WD truck? Put it in 4 Lo? Stop on the gas and it jumps like something kicked the bumper and the motor tachs out to the max and it stack-shifts and you're in high gear with it wound up as tight as it'll go and won't go any faster and you look down at the speedo and you're doing like 30? That's what putting too much gear in a car does. Feels GREAT the first time you hit the gas, but it fades in a hurry when you can't even pass a semi on a 2-lane road at 55 mph.

Once you've given 9bolt.com a try and reality sets back in, you might also want to consider a 4th gen rear.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:00 PM

Ok I'm just gonna go with the 3.27 with the 3 carrier from 9 bolt. Now I just have to decide on the correct torque coverter stall and for the transmission I'm going with the 700R4 from pro built automatic thank for u guys help
Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Yeah everybody finds that web site sooner or later...

Good luck.

Yes you don't want to go too far on the gear. Ever drive a 4WD truck? Put it in 4 Lo? Stop on the gas and it jumps like something kicked the bumper and the motor tachs out to the max and it stack-shifts and you're in high gear with it wound up as tight as it'll go and won't go any faster and you look down at the speedo and you're doing like 30? That's what putting too much gear in a car does. Feels GREAT the first time you hit the gas, but it fades in a hurry when you can't even pass a semi on a 2-lane road at 55 mph.

Once you've given 9bolt.com a try and reality sets back in, you might also want to consider a 4th gen rear.
Ok I'm just gonna go with the 3.27 with the 3 carrier from 9 bolt. Now I just have to decide on the correct torque coverter stall and for the transmission I'm going with the 700R4 from pro built automatic thank for u guys help