Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Double tranny probs = husband working overtime :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Iroc Z
Engine: Paxton SN-92 305
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Double tranny probs = husband working overtime :(

Ok I know this post has been beaten to absolute death but my probs aren't addressed in the post 10 pages of old threads so here it goes. I have 2 cars (6 total 2 I'm mentioning) First: 88' 2.8 700r4, tranny won't do 3rd or 4th gears. Now when i bought it from the previous "mechanic" who owned it he said 3rd was slippin (ie doesn't work, period). Upon my inspection (mind you I'm a nurse, and a dude, and que laughter now) the TV cable wasn't even hooked up. It was wrapped in a coil under the cowl. So i said hmm lets plug her in. No bueno. Still no 3rd or 4th, car pulls like a m*ther f'er in 1st and 2nd (actually just putting it in 2nd seems to work like drive? ie shifts from 1st to second appropriately). Now i changed the fluid and filter, attempted to adjust the TV cable (button wont depress, not too sure on that) When driven like a stick (1st gear than 2nd gear or just in 2nd the whole time) it will peel out and book it to 70 in 2-3 blocks (very surprised) although my rpms will be at like 4800-5000. If driven in drive or overdrive once it tries to engage 3rd gear it just slips and will rev to the governor. Also of note it makes the apparently normal "thunk" sounds when going from park to reverse and sounds like 1st-2nd is rather "hard" as it also thunks (no hesitation just pure power to the rear . Second: 89' T-Top RS 2.8 700r4, tranny won't hold in any gear, slipping all around. Problem has progressed over past 2 weeks. Of note, tranny was not working when received car because it kept leaking fluid so the previous owner just added 1-3 quarts DAILY! Turns out the tranny fluid line from the cooler line on the radiator to the tranny was rusted to death where it meets the tranny. A newly bent line with new fitting and some more fluid fixed the problem and she was drivable although notably soggy on the power side. From floored position it would hit 40 in about a minute. It always sounded as though the engine (or trans) was revving really high even though the rpms seemed fair (3500-5500) possibly just the tranny slipping the whole time. I have tried to adjust the TV cable although haven't noted any effect. Also I haven't changed the fluid and filter (although i keep saying I'm going to because i'm sure the rusted out line has deposited some fun in the pan). Now, this tranny made it through all the gears fine however before the tranny problems i drove it for o about 100 miles (i live in baltimore and work in DC, damn army) and it didn't like the trip as i felt it was revved high most of the time 5500ish and whenever it wasn't high (around 3000) seemed to be lacking power almost like i was stepping on a sponge. I was able to reach 70mph but not a mile over. Then today it just gave out on me and wouldn't get over 25mph except while rolling down a hill. Completely slipping and almost sounded like the engine was choking out (stuttering while losing power when pedal depressed past 1/3 way down). Pretty sure the first thing someone is gonna say is "change the fluid" but i was wondering if there's some things i should think about along the way (ie if i change the fluid should i try adjusting the TV cable linkage at the bottom of the tranny while the pan is off so i'm not investing stock in tranny fluid due to all the fluid swapping because i didn't consolidate my tasks). Which brings me back to car 1, should i try to adjust the TV cable linkage at the bottom of the pan or what? That's the cable that the adjustment button doesn't depress in so should i toss it for a new one? (most likely) Essentially what should i do to get these running in fair shape while I prep for all the replacements. (I'm building up a 350 and possible a TH350 for one car and the other I'm gonna rebuild the motor, slap on a turbo and swap in a manual. I just need to have one of these two POS's running for my wife while I'm driving the manmobile (Toyota Prius, lol, I told you i drive 100 miles a day, besides i have a 680hp Iroc chilling at home ). So to recap, 1 tranny completely soggy, the other tranny great 1st and 2nd but no 3rd or 4th. Both cars are stock (presumably from what I see). And both were cheap so I bought em to play with (1 was $400 and the other $500). Any insight would be great.

Last edited by Zeeboinc; 12-31-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock
Re: Double tranny probs = husband working overtime :(

My...

From what I understand, a 700R4 trans will not last long at all if not properly adjusted!!
So, it may well be they are toast.
I am just offering my uneducated opinion.

To see how to properly adjust the TV cable, see the site
TVmadeez or something like that. It shows how a 700R4 works & the correct way to adjust.

Good luck
Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 PM

That's what I was thinking. At least 1st and 2nd are fun, lol. I'm thinking the 3-4 clutch pack er something like that is obliterated from the TV cable not being hooked up. I'm no tranny mechanic but i've read through enough of these forums to build a few. I just don't want to rebuild it and be like " o wow see this wire, shoulda been plugged in here like that" and be like hey car meet cliff and hey insurance gimme me loot. And yes to anyone else ready to respond the pigtails deal-a-ma-bobs are plugged in the back.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: SOLD IT. Mopar guy only now.
Engine: gone
Transmission: gone
Axle/Gears: gone

nope no real wires on there to do that. sounds like it is toasted. and the 3-4 clutch pack gets it all the time...sorry.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Supreme Member

How much metal sludge & shavings were in the pans & filters?
Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 AM

If melted down I could of made a magazine's worth of bullets. If it helps any the metal was finely mushed. That's the tranny with no 3rd and 4th tho. Haven't opened up the soggy bottomed one yet.

Last edited by Zeeboinc; 12-31-2010 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Supreme Member

That's alot of crap!!! Probably don't know when they were last serviced!!

IMHO--
Save up, shop around, get them rebuilt if you want to keep the cars 100% original,
Or get new transmissions.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1990 IROC-Z 1LE
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: G92 3.23

I know a great transmission guy in my area, most likely there will be someone in your area that can check it out/get it fixed for you. Post up your location on your geographic forum and ask for a good transmission guy.

I do wish you the best of luck.