Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T56(LTx) clutch issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Too many to list...
T56(LTx) clutch issues?

Recently encountered a bit of a problem with clutch disengagement it seems

I have an LT-1 T56 behind my TBI 350 in my truck, I swapped it in about 2 years ago. Well tonight it seems as if the clutch doesn't want to fully disengage.

When I push the clutch pedal to the floor to disengage the clutch and then move the shifter into any gear, the truck jerks forward slightly and makes a slight audible noise.

I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the clutch not disengaging enough, I'm hoping it's an easy fix, bleeding, master, or slave etc. Any thoughts??

Haven't tried bleeding it lately, haven't needed to either though. I'm planning on bleeding tomorrow anyways to see if I can get any improvement.

So again, any thoughts?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 5.7L Supercharged
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70
Re: T56(LTx) clutch issues?

You have the right idea, check those first see if it will help.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Too many to list...
Re: T56(LTx) clutch issues?

Well I tried bleeding the clutch hydraulics today. Slave unbolted and lower than everything else in the system, pushrod facing down etc etc.

I had a helper watch the master cylinder to watch for bubbles and make sure the master didn't go completely empty.

I pumped on the slave for a long time while holding it lower than the rest of the hydraulic system.

No matter what, there were bubbles coming up. The air bubbles were just as bad when I finished bleeding as they were in the beginning.

I bolted the slave back up and toped the master off, hoping to see some kind of an improvement, however small.

I'm thinking that the problem is potentially with the slave cylinder, there is a little bit of play in it at the end where the clutch line is installed. The clutch line wiggles in the slave itself, even with the roll pin installed. Could this be where my air is coming from???

Master, slave, and clutch hydraulic line are all about 2 years old so I wouldn't think there would be an issue there but who knows.

I've heard and read that the slave-cylinder from a 3rd gen V8-T5 car will bolt up to the T56 tranny. The 3rd gen T5 slave supposedly has a bleeder built in and is aluminum instead of that cheezy-a$$ plastic.

Did I mention how much I hate the LTx T56 clutch?

I'm thinking my next step might be try a new slave, but I hate to throw parts at a problem and potentially waste money and still not get at the root of the problem.

Any suggestions, advice, input would certainly be appreciated.

Last edited by Cdeez; 10-20-2010 at 06:56 PM.