Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

4T60-E filter seal problems? Gurlgeing... what???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: (sold 85' IROC Z28)
Engine: (89' 305 TPI)
Transmission: Looking for a classic chevy
4T60-E filter seal problems? Gurlgeing... what???

I know this isn't a third gen transmission at all, but I was hoping you guys here could shed some light on my problem.

I have a 96 buick with a 4t60e transaxle, and yesterday I did the fluid and filter. When trying to pull the filter out of the seal, the neck snapped off and I was left with the seal and part of the neck still stuck in it.

So, I took a precision flathead and tapped one part of the seal in, then tapped the screwdriver between the seal and the bore. When I got the seal out there was a small scratch down the whole bore. I figured I couldn't do anything, so I tapped the new seal in with a socket, pushed the new filter into the seal and bolted everything back up.

Now when I drive down the road the transmission gurgles, kinda like its sucking air through the filter somehow, I'm not sure what it is but all I can say is it gurgles. It doesn't do this when it starts up, but it started when I drive a tiny bit.

AND I was driving to go get a quart of fluid to fill it up completely, and suddenly I heard an extremely loud pop, followed by the sound of a small plastic/metal piece rolling next to me. I couldn't find anything missing or the piece so I just took the car home, and nothing seemed to be wrong on the 3 minute drive following.

I know this is a longish read but please help!
Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 4T60-E filter seal problems? Gurlgeing... what???

As Per the rules I have to close this since it is not thirdgen related. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.