Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

TV cable issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: empty bay (for now)
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 stock posi disc
TV cable issues.

Ive got a 700r4 in my 86 silverado (not a third gen I know). I had it rebuilt about 3 months ago since my second gear was GONE. Ever since then I havent been able to adjust the TV cable. I followed the instructions found on here and many other places. I push in the adjuster tab, push the slider all the way in, and rotate the throttle to WOT. But I never hear any clicks, and the slider doesnt move. Am I missing something, or is my cable just dead?
Old 05-31-2010, 04:44 PM
Supreme Member

Re: TV cable issues.

Noone?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Verify the TV cable wire is attached to the TV link which pulls on a lever that moves the TV valve inside the Valve Body.

Do this by unhooking the TV cable wire where it attaches to the throttle body.

Manually pull the cable wire forward towards the front of the vehicle. The cable should move about an inch then stop. This indicates the TV Valve has bottomed out in the TV Bushing. If you release the cable wire it should pull back towards the firewall.

If that checks out do the following.

With the cable still disconnected from the throttle body, press on the two plastic tabs to release the TV cable from the throttle body bracket.

Press inward on the TV cable release tab (which can be very hard to do). While pressing and holding on to the TV cable release tab. verify you can pull forward and backwards on the cable housing. The cable housing should slide back and forth about a total of an inch.

When you release the locking tab, the cable housing should lock in position.

If that works press on the release locking button and pull the cable housing all the way towards the firewall.

Reinstall the TV cable into the Throttle Body mounting bracket.

Attach the TB cable wire to the Throttle Body.

You can either manually operate the Throttle Body to WOT or press on the gas pedal.
The cable housing should be pulled forward. Indicated by a clicking/ratcheting noise. You can also mark the cable with tape and verify the cable housing is moving forward away from the firewall.

Here's a picture of the TV cable mechanism. Disregard the text.

Name:  TVCABLE.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  83.0 KB

Last edited by 89L98; 05-31-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:52 PM
Supreme Member

Im working with a holley, not a TB, but I have the geometry adapter plate already on. With the TV disconnected from the carb, I can pull it about an inch before it stops, so its hooked up to the trans right. The slider moves but only when I move it. I push the tab in, push the slider all the way back and rotate the linkage. It doesnt move from there unless I press the tab and pull on the slider.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:00 PM

So this set up has never worked before?
Is the TV cable aftermarket?

Disconnect the TV cable wire and manually open the carb to WOT can you manually pull the TV cable and when the cable is fully pulled out (bottomed out) will it attach to the carb with no slack?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:20 PM
Supreme Member

With the TV disconnected and the carb at WOT, the cable bottoms out right past WOT. Meaning I can pull the cable just past the mounting tab on the linkage.

Heres the background on the truck. I bought it about 3 years ago to drive in the snow. I was living in WA state in the military at the time. Truck drove fine and I never really made long trips in it. The stock quadra jet crapped out, so I put a holley truck avenger carb on it. I had no idea then then I needed the TV geometry correcter bracket. It ran fine without it though. In Jan, I got out of the military and used my truck to haul 3000 pounds of my crap in a Uhaul trailer from WA to TX. It made it into Northern CA before the trans died. I then got a Uhaul truck and car trailer, stuffed my crap in it, and towed the truck the rest of the way with that. Shortly after getting to TX, I took the trans to a shop to be rebuilt. The guy tore it apart then called me to tell it was too far gone and not worth rebuilding, and just sold me another rebuilt trans for $500. I got it installed, and the truck drove fine again. I recently read about the correcter bracket, and since my trans was starting to act up again, I figured Id see if it helped. I put the bracket on, went to adjust the cable, and discovered the problem.

I plan on taking it back to the guy and having him rebuild it again since I have no power in second gear, and Ive got another month on my 6 month warranty. I just wanted to know if I needed to have him replace the cable as well, (its the same cable from my old trans) while he was at it, or if I was just doing something wrong.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:48 PM

Sounds like you may have an aftermarket TV cable setup which could explain why the cable doesn't self adjust/ratchet.

Since you switched carbs the TV linkage could be different for the Holley carb. You can call Bowtie Overdrive do a Google search and ask them if the TV linkage setup for the two carbs is the same.

If the TV cable linkage is not correct or can't be adjusted properly, the clutches inside the trans. will burn up because of incorrect transmission fluid line pressure.

One way to tell if the TV cable is adjusted properly is to disconnect the cable at the carb. Manually move the carb to WOT. Manually pull the TV cable wire until it bottoms out.

You should be able to attach the TV cable to the carb linkage with no slack in the cable.

If you can't do that, the carb linkage for the TV cable is wrong, the length of the cable is wrong or the mounting bracket for the TV cable is not positioned correctly for the TV setup.

If you attached a oil pressure gauge to the transmission and measured the minimum line pressure at idle, if the TV cable is adjusted properly, when you pull on the TV cable the line pressure should immediately rise.

Last edited by 89L98; 05-31-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Supreme Member

The TV cable is the same one that was on the truck when I bought it, and looks about as old as the truck itself. With the carb at WOT, I have just enough slack to attach the cable. The adapter I bought said it was specifically for use with a Holley 4150/4160 style carb and a 700r4 trans. Link here.