Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

slave cylinder took a dump, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 iroc z
Engine: 350tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 342
slave cylinder took a dump, what to do?

i was told to buy a pre bled slave/master setup. where do i get one if these setups and also how hard is it to swap out. any advice
Old 03-17-2010, 11:30 AM

Car: 1985 camaro Z/28
Engine: 305 V/8 4bbl carb
Transmission: T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3-23 posi with 4 wheel discs
re: slave cylinder took a dump, what to do?

hi , i got a new complete slave cylinder assembly on e-bay...brand new...i am in the process of bleeding it myself...it says it came pre-bled...i asked here and most people say bleed it anyways...i did...the pedal still feels very soft...they say it's normal...
Old 03-17-2010, 12:33 PM

what did u buy master and slave......do u have the listibg i cant find any on there
Old 03-17-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by johnny89345
what did u buy master and slave......do u have the listibg i cant find any on there
hi , it's the complete kit, with slave -reservoir -lines...etc...brand new on ebay ,,,was about $199. i didn't want to mess around with a used system ...like i said though ,,pedal is super soft even after bleeding...
Old 03-17-2010, 01:02 PM

Car: currently a 91 G92.
Engine: 305TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner WC 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42

You can buy the slave cylinder only. It is available at o'reily's. It has a bleeder valve on the new slave cylinder. It is also very easy to replace. There is a roll pin holding the hydrolic line in the slave cylinder. I used a small nail to push it out. It is a very easy fix and you don't have to replace the whole system.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Saculia
You can buy the slave cylinder only. It is available at o'reily's. It has a bleeder valve on the new slave cylinder. It is also very easy to replace. There is a roll pin holding the hydrolic line in the slave cylinder. I used a small nail to push it out. It is a very easy fix and you don't have to replace the whole system.
that's a good way too,, cheaper too... for me it was just making sure i had no issues with old parts...i got a new flywhell and clutch-pressure plate kit ...so i also bought the slave cylinder assembly new as well...since i wasn't sure about the whole conversion and how it would all work out at the end!!,,i did it thiat way......i will start the car soon when i can bring it down and remove the jackstands...if the gears grind ...i guess i have to bleed my soft pedal and system a little more....
Old 03-17-2010, 01:53 PM

The slave cylinder cost only about $40 at o'reilys. It is a much better unit than stock.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 PM

what is oreilys. i was going to get one from anypart tomorow. is there a difference in quality and also how do i beel it i was told its not like bleeding brakes
Old 03-19-2010, 09:21 AM

O'reily's is an auto parts store. They have stores almost everywhere http://www.oreillyauto.com
To bleed the system there is a bleeder screw on the slave cylinder that you need a small alen wrench to loosen and tighten it with. You want to fill the system with brake fluid first and loosen the screw until you have fluid running out and then tighten the screw. With the cap open, you want to compress the slave cylinder all the way in and release it by hand. Do that a couple of times and install it. Don't push on the clutch pedal with the slave cylinder removed from the clutch fork. After the cylinder is installed if you need to bleed it further, you can have somebody pump on the clutch while you are letting more fluid out from the screw.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:27 AM

O'reily's is an auto parts store. They have stores almost everywhere http://www.oreillyauto.com
To bleed the system there is a bleeder screw on the slave cylinder that you need a small alen wrench to loosen and tighten it with. You want to fill the system with brake fluid first and loosen the screw until you have fluid running out and then tighten the screw. With the cap open, you want to compress the slave cylinder all the way in and release it by hand. Do that a couple of times and install it. Don't push on the clutch pedal with the slave cylinder removed from the clutch fork. After the cylinder is installed if you need to bleed it further, you can have somebody pump on the clutch while you are letting more fluid out from the screw.
hi , i did that ..i let someone pump the pedal and i opened the bleeder..i did that about 6-8 times i guess...no air seems to be left in the system...but my pedal isn't any stiffer...i read up here that it is normal with new clutch and lub on the input shaft for the pedal to be ultra soft like mine ...it just matters when i will start the car and gears grind!!...what do you think?....thankyou.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:23 PM

I don't know if pedal stiffness is a good indication of weather or not your system needs bleeding. There is a minimum amount of travel that your clutch fork is supposed to make when the clutch pedal is depressed. I am not sure, but seem to recall that being 14mm. As far as pedal stiffness is concerned, a pedal can be stiffer or softer depending on the clutch that you have installed. Higher performance clutches will require more pedal force than OE replacement clutches.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:36 PM

I don't know if pedal stiffness is a good indication of weather or not your system needs bleeding. There is a minimum amount of travel that your clutch fork is supposed to make when the clutch pedal is depressed. I am not sure, but seem to recall that being 14mm. As far as pedal stiffness is concerned, a pedal can be stiffer or softer depending on the clutch that you have installed. Higher performance clutches will require more pedal force than OE replacement clutches.
the pedal feels really soft...but having someone press down on the clutch pedal and being underneath the car , i can see the slave rod move about .5 ' or so...is that enough to make the clutch work properly?..i got someone here on 3rdgen say that if a T5 input shaft has lube on it ..it will make the clutch pedal really soft until that oil / grease or whatever is there disapears...only then will the clutch pedal stiffen up a bit...but the clutch should work regardless of pedal feel....any truth to this?...thankyou.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:23 PM

The clutch will work as long as the rod moves sufficiently, regardless of pedal feel. 14 mm is a little bit more than 1/2 inch.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:03 AM

Re: slave cylinder took a dump, what to do?

The clutch will work as long as the rod moves sufficiently, regardless of pedal feel. 14 mm is a little bit more than 1/2 inch.
that's what people are saying here on 3rd gen ,,,the pedal is soft ,,,that's ok as long as you can see the rod on the slave move a little over .5 of an inch ,,,and the best way to see ,,,,is to start the car and try to change gears with no grinding....so i guess i should stop bleeding the system?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 AM

I would suggest NOT pumping the clutch pedal, just push it down and bleed. Pumping tends to aerate the fluid
Old 04-12-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by alecracing
I would suggest NOT pumping the clutch pedal, just push it down and bleed. Pumping tends to aerate the fluid
no pumping...just having someone push it all the way down to the carpet...and then opening the bleeder...over and over again....filling it up as we go along....