Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

need a new rear end formy project car.. Need HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010 | 07:59 PM

Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: currently 2.8l v6
Transmission: not sure.. its a 5spd
Axle/Gears: don't know but it will be replaced
need a new rear end formy project car.. Need HELP!!

I have a 1984 camaro berlinetta.. i want a new rear end for street/strip.
I want to be able to drive it around in town but be able to do around 11sec in the 1/4mile.
I hear the Detroit locker is a good make?
i plan to buy one used and have it rebuilt..
I heard to get like a 12 bolt, what does this mean?
I think to keep costs down im not going to tubb out the car..
I was told i can get 12" tires with an offset so they dont stick out the sides of the car will this effect the length of the axle ??
I plan to buy a 350 small block and rebuild it as a 383 stroker i want about 400+HP and i drive stick.. obviously i want it to be posi but thats all i know.. what should i search for and what do you guys think to rebuild a rear end from scratch will cost... i am looking for parts but don't know what to look for..
PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance
Old 01-30-2010 | 10:46 PM
Supreme Member

Re: need a new rear end formy project car.. Need HELP!!

I recommend that you get a complete 12 bolt from one of the rear end manufacturers. You can get a bolt in 12 bolt for around $2250. All you do is paint it, add oil and put on the brakes. I recommend an Eaton Posi for street/strip use. A Detroit Locker will be great for drag racing, but might get on your nerves a little on the street. They pop and jerk a little sometimes.
Old 01-30-2010 | 10:51 PM

what gear ratio should i ask for ?? ill be strait up with you... i want to go fast! this car will only be taken out on sunny days.. and mostly just for drag racing but i might use it as a daily driver during the summer and want to take the odd hot date out in it lol ;P but yea.. so you think i should go for a 12bolt Eaton Posi just what ratio... i want a 383 stroker 4 bolt main.. and i hope to get around 450hp from it.. might add nos as well.. :P
Old 01-31-2010 | 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

A 3.73 will work well with overdrive. If you never plan on getting it on the highway then the 4.11 would be good. This will be a 5 speed, right?
Old 01-31-2010 | 01:15 PM

i suppose it will be a 5 spd... ? i was told to work from the rear and work my way to the front.. i will be driving the car on the highway to get to the race way.. its going to be a street/strip car.. so you think 4.11 is a good one for my application? what if i wanted a 4 spd would that be able to drive in the city and on the high way... im geussing a 4 spd picks up faster ?
Old 01-31-2010 | 02:39 PM
Supreme Member

Actually you need to decide what transmission you will be using before picking a gear ratio. If you will be using an overdrive transmission then you can use a 3.73 or 4.11 and still get out on the highway some without working the engine to death trying to keep up with trafic. If you don't use an overdrive transmission then I would go with something around a 3.42 or 3.55. If you are going to use a 700R4 then I would use a 3.42 because of the low 3.06 first gear in this transmission. Final drive ratio in the transmission and tire size will make a difference in the rear end ratio. If this was only going to be a race car then these wouldn't be as important as the power range of the engine, but you want to be able to drive this car on the road too.
Old 01-31-2010 | 02:47 PM

is a 700r4 a good transmission ? im pretty much asking what will be good because i have no clue.. Could you just tell me what would be good.. i want to race it at the track but it will be mainly for cruising around in.. with that information could you tell me what kind of transmission and gear ratio would be good and possibly even tire size???
Old 01-31-2010 | 03:21 PM
Supreme Member

The 700R4 is a 4 speed automatic. Judging by your original post I assumed that you were going to be using a 5 speed manual of some kind. If you use a 5 speed then the Tremec 500 or 600 would be a good choice. Many people are using the T56 6 speed, but I think they are a little harder to install. The T5 Borg Warner will not stand up to the abuse that you will be putting it through. A 27 inch tire is pretty good for drag racing. I think a 275/60/15 is about 27 inches tall. I just do rear ends, so someone else should probably advise you on these other parts.
Old 01-31-2010 | 03:36 PM

okay cool ill ask some one in the transmission section but they will want to know what gears and rear end i have so what would should i use for my needs? just tell them a
12bolt Eaton Posi for street/strip use... as for gear ratio im still not clear... say if i go for
the 27"tall tires what gears will be good?? i dont know if i want a 4 or 5spd manual transmission w/e will give me a nice smooth ride ill pick.. but yea what gear ratio lol sorry to be a pain!
Old 01-31-2010 | 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

If you use a 4 speed without overdrive then I would use a 3.42 or 3.55. If you use a 5 speed with overdrive then I would use a 3.73 or 4.11. If you use a 26 inch tire then a 3.42 with a 4 speed and a 3.73 with a 5 speed. If you use a 27 inch tire then a 3.55 with a 4 speed and a 4.11 with a 5 speed. These are just my suggestions and may not be exactly what you want. Play around with these calculators and see what you come up with. http://www.windyhollowdragway.com/horsepower2.htm
Just remember to figure in the overdrive ratio for a 5 speed. Check with Tremec to see what the overdrive ratio is on their transmissions and then multiply the RPMs by the overdrive ratio. For example, 3000 RPMs times and overdrive ratio of .75 = 2250 RPMs.

Last edited by big gear head; 01-31-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2010 | 05:19 PM
Supreme Member

Looks like Tremec offers a .64, .68 and .82 overdrive for their TKO transmissions. Use the RPM calculator and multiply the RPMs by these gear ratios for the final RPMs. So 3000 RPMs with a .68 overdrive would be 2040 RPMs.
Old 02-01-2010 | 11:48 PM

what is overdrive?? does it come on both auto and manual transmissions? iv never hear of over drive on a on a 4,5,6 spd??? what are the advantages to over drive ? and disadvantages?? that will make me decide whether to get it or not.. and i am considering geting an automatic trany i hear its better for raceing that it beats a manual ? and i do want to go fast.. i can put in a slap shifter or something like that..not to sure what its called but i was told for the automatics i can change the shifter so i slap it when it hits the right rpm.. and this is much better ?? and how hope you can help me and just explian it simply im not trying to do math i just want to know what i asked then it will make it easier for me to understand more advanced things lol
thanks alot!
Old 02-02-2010 | 12:39 AM

cancel what i said last! i read up pretty much an automatic transmission is better for my needs.. i want to drag race.. and if i choose a manual id go trough a lot of clutches lol
over drive on a manual is the last gear pretty much a 5spd.. the last gear is ment to keep the engine rpms low at higher speeds there fore being more fuel economic.. which is cool but going trough all though gears when racing would suck.. that is the advantages the automatic transmission has.. it does all the work for you.. with a push of a button.. with over drive on i loss torque but save feul this is better for driving on the high way or even in the city as it doesn't kick in until you hit around 70km/hr 43mph... but when racing you are going to hit above that speed and want to keep as much torque to pick up faster at high speeds.. so over drive would have to be off in order for that to happen.. so really there is no disadvantage to having an o/d and that was all i wanted to know.. aslong as you know when to use it.. it will be very nice to have! since i dont want to have to worry about missing shifts and picking up fast an automatic will be BEST!! and i want to do close to 11/secs and i drive really hard around town and on track.. so i want something really really tough that can take a beating but will take off when i want it too.. what would you guys suggest i get ? for a transmission? and i think i want bigger then 27" tall tires for sure!! if im paying to have it tubbed out i might as well go big..