Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Going to rebuild my 700R4 this winter.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009 | 05:15 AM

Car: 1987 Chevrolet Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Going to rebuild my 700R4 this winter.

Hi there...

I need some tips of what I need to change on my transmission. The winter is coming in Norway so I had a plan rebuilding/overhauling my 700R4.

My car has about 86k miles on it and I have had some problems with the transmission lately. First of all I have some problems with my lock-up. The car really starts to shake when the lock-up engages and disengages so I burned a new chip to my car with much higher MPH rating for the TCC and then the transmission works better

But anyway, I think there are still some problems with my transmission, I don't know how to explain this in english but I will try. When my trans is shifting gears from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, it uses a long time on shifting on moderate acceleration. Is this normal?..I just feel that it should shift more quickly and "harder". Let's say I'm accelerating moderately and car is going to change from 2nd to 3rd on about 2500RPM the RPM slooowly decreases to 1500RPM..Hope you understand what I mean
Uses a long time..Is this what you guys call slipping?...

So this is basically my problem, and my other question, or the main question is what kind of overhaul kit should I buy for my transmission?. There are a lot of parts that could be changed. So you have those master overhaul kits with the clutches,seals,o-rings,steels and bands...I was thinking to change those of course, but what about the hard parts? and the solenoids to the TCC??...The pump and the pistons?...
I mean what is neccessary to change if I want a good overhaul only..
I don't want to spend to much money though.

Another thing is that I also have some performance parts that will gain about 270 - 300HP at my car. I will change those this winter also.

Thanks....
Old 11-04-2009 | 03:10 PM

Re: Going to rebuild my 700R4 this winter.

Slippage on the 1-2 upshift tends to be a broken 1-2 accumulator spring. This is far too common. Just taking an afternoon to change that will amaze you afterwards.
Old 11-04-2009 | 11:20 PM

Car: 85' Trans Am !best car ever!
Engine: 305tpi 215hp LB9 two bolt,
Transmission: th-700r4
Axle/Gears: stock (3.27)

do you want tony blair as European Union president?
Old 11-05-2009 | 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by JamieSweet
Slippage on the 1-2 upshift tends to be a broken 1-2 accumulator spring. This is far too common. Just taking an afternoon to change that will amaze you afterwards.

Ok..So you don't think I need any bigger overhaul parts?...Just the basics??
Old 11-05-2009 | 03:13 PM

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: BLACK&DECKER AQUARIUM PUMP

SA140 - SA Design Books: GM Automatic Overdrive Transmission Builder's & Swapper's Guide There's an important component standing between your engine and your drive wheels: the transmission. Inside that metal case is a bewildering array of gears, bearings, seals, and more. The automatic transmission is a miracle of modern engineering, but it can also be a source of trouble. If your transmission breaks down you're not going anywhere, and if it's just not working properly, your car will never realize its performance potential.
In this book, expert mechanic and drag racer Cliff Ruggles demystifies the popular GM 700-R4 and 4L60 automatic transmissions. Keeping the enthusiast in mind, Ruggles explains the history of these transmissions, presents critical identification guidelines, and leads the reader through the complete disassembly, repair and upgrade, and assembly processes. DIY-ers will learn how to test their transmission to ensure its proper operation before installing it in the car. AVAILIBLE AT MOST BOOK STORES GREAT GUIDE
Old 11-05-2009 | 06:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Firebird, 2000 GTP
Engine: 327
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9" posi, 4.11

I rebuilt mine 2 years ago. First of all... make sure your TV cable is set properly. If mine had been I would not have had to rebuilt it in attempt to make it perform better.

As far as parts to change aside from the Master Overhaul. I'd recomend these at least as the minimum.

I upgraded:
Corvette Servo - $19
10-vane pump rotor to the 13-vane - $39
Beast Sun Shell - $56
Carbon Fiber 2-4 Powerband - $23

These are all current prices from here:
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/hi...hperf700r4.htm

At least you have an 87 tranny because that was the year they changed and are better than previous yeasr. If you are going to be running around 400hp after you've added the 250-300hp you're more than likely going to want to upgrade what I've listed, possibly more. I know there are planetary gears from the 4L65E that will work in the 700R4 that will hold up to more power as well. Not sure what those run though.

Last edited by TZFBird; 11-05-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-17-2009 | 10:08 AM

Thaks for the answers here...Sorry the slow response from me, but have been a little bit busy the last days.

So you guys suggest I should open up the transmission to check if there is anything broken first?...

I have been looking on a some Master rebuild kits from this site:
Monster in a box

Please check that one out and tell me what you think.

I have been looking on several transmission overhaul companies and after what they say I should change the regular things when doing an overhaul. Like the standard master kits.

Then I am thinking of changing the:

Bands

Steels

Clutches

Seals

O-rings

Servo (corvette servo)

The solenoid parts and switches

And some companies recommend changing the sunshell also?..That is absolutely a must they say, when overhauling a 700R4...Do you agree this one?...

I think that the best choise here for me would be to buy for example this kit and start to unmount my transmission gearbox.
then after I have inspected the transmission parts I will change the hard parts as needed...Is that a good solution you think??