Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700R4 downshift probs

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
700R4 downshift probs

Hey all, how are you?
i'm sorry if this may be a very 'newbie' question, i just got my car about a month ago. 92 Z28 350 TPI 4 spd auto...
now when I put the pedal RIGHT to the floor it shifts into first gear for about 2-3 seconds then shifts into second... this is VERY annoying as it almost redlines and kind of scares me :/
I've heard adjusting the TV cable will help cure this.... how do I go about doing this and which way do I adjust it?
Also, i am putting in a B&M Megashifter this weekend... any recommendations on transmission shift kits? i'm so far leaning towards the TCI...
Thanks
Garett
Old 11-13-2001, 04:22 AM
Supreme Member

To adjust the TV Cable skip the book method and do this: Press the D button on the adjuster and loosen the cable setting. Now, have someone floor the gas pedal while you check to see if the throttle plate is open all the way. Usually they are off a little and will wiggle. Do whatever you have to do to get it open solid. Now, with the pedal still floored, press the D button and pull the cable casing (the black tube) back as hard as you can and release the button. You now have the engine, tranny and gas pedal all in sync at WOT. Mark the cable so if for some reason it gets moved you can know where to put it again. The problem with the 'self adjust method' is that it bends things and puts them permanently out of whack. It is also the full TV setting, which is theoretically what the GM method does.

As far as VB kits- ONLY use TransGo. If your adjustment still doesn't stop that you may need heavier weights in the governor.
Old 11-13-2001, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Garett92Z:

Also, i am putting in a B&M Megashifter this weekend...
Thanks
Garett
</font>
Here's a suggestion on the Megashifter. Some people complain of the cable they give you breaking. I just used the stock cable and has worked great so far (6months). You'll have to cut the bracket off the shifter and drill one hole, I forget it exactly but if you go this way I'm sure you can figure it out. Took my Dad 3 hrs to install it, and never had to get under the car.

------------------
"Putting any amount of money into a RICE BURNER is like wiping your a$$ with a turd. "
'86 IROC
T-TOPS, TINTED WINDOWS, BRAKE LIGHT BLACKOUTS
GM GOODWRENCH 350
EDELBROCK TES HEADERS
3" Hooker CatBack w/Aero Chamber muffler
EDELBROCK 600CFM CARB.
KN AIRFILTER
ACCEL HEI DISTRIBUTOR
160* Stat, just switched to 180* b/c of winter coming and going to college in the mts.
3:73 Posi
Rebuilt 700R4
B&M Megashifter, 5" Autometer Tach w/shift lite
Old 11-20-2001, 03:32 AM

okay i may seem kind of stupid here so pls don't mind the newbie question again....
okay so i put my shifter (megashifter) into D.... then I loosen the TV cable up by the throttle body? then I get someone to put gas pedal to the floor and adjust the throttle cable so the butterfly flap things are totally open. then when done that I pull the TV cable for trans and let go?

I don't know just i can't understand really what you're telling me to do. i'm very new to this kind of stuff....

any help would be awesome...
Garett
Old 11-20-2001, 03:56 AM
Supreme Member

Sorry if I didn't make things clear. The D shaped button is on the TV Cable. You don't need to do anything with the shifter.
Old 11-20-2001, 05:19 AM

okay that makes a bit more sense.... i'll attempt this in a couple of days and post let ya know how it went
thanks for the help.
Garett

PS: anyone know how long it should take a trans. shop to install a Transgo shift kit and B&M 3-4 WOT shift valve? i'm thinking in the 3 hour mark, am I right?
Old 11-21-2001, 03:54 AM
Supreme Member

That is probably about right. Rather than the Plunger assembly I would use GM #8673948.