Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

i really need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982
Engine: 350
Transmission: 350
i really need some advice

i have a 88 iroc 305 tpi 700r4 i have been trying to figure out if my transmission is shot well ive come to the conclusion that the trans does have to come out of the car because it does have some sort of shifting problems i dont know if its major or just somethin stupid but it is a problem also some times the trans leaks realy bad and other times it dont i donno what is going on with this thing but now im stuck i dont know what to do... i dont know if i

should get this one rebuilt

buy a rebuilt one (ive been lookin on ebay and craigslist but i donno i just dont wanna get screwd)

go to the junkyard and pull one out

if i should try and rebuild this one myself i do have a little experience rebuilding a tranny i rebuilt one in school and it workd fine i think it was a turbo 350 that was yrs ago tho i just dont want to get this one put back together and find out i messd somethin up and end up with another problem and have to pull it out again...

i dont want to spend a fortune to get a trans back in this car but i dont want to buy garbage either this is going to be the 3rd trans going in this car in 2 months i just cant seem to catch a break with this thing lol anyone have any idea on what i should do i do eventually want to put some power in the car but not right away i just wanna concentrate on making this one nice
so does anyone have any ideas on what i should do where i should go? i live in chicago IL 5 min from midway airport if that helps with any advice
thanks
john
Old 08-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
Re: i really need some advice

if its leaking fluid then the seals are gone. and the unit might as well be replaced/rebuilt depending on how old and how many miles are on the car, i just rebuilt my own trans in about 4 days time (had to take it apart a few times bc i forgot to upgrade something)
ive never rebuilt one before but with a manual and some simple tools it can be done.

your gona save some cash by doing it yourself, if not then just have it rebuilt... if your gona be putting no more than 300-350hp (at the crank) in the future then a stock rebuild with a shift kit and a corvette servo will suffice. a reputable trans shop can help u there, or even a AAMCO. anything more than300-350hp and i would give DANA a call at probuilt

http://www.700r4l60e.com/

he will hook u up nicely and tell u what you need depending on ur goals. and sell u a complete kit with everything in it. i bought an upgrade kit for mine which will allow it to handle 650-675hp... and i completely just rebuilt my dads 700r4 with his street strip kit (costs alil less than 600$ i think) and has everything in it, and his will be good for 600hp. that only took 2 days.

you could spend 200-600$ on a rebuild kit and take a week to do it (if you follow the instructions closely, id get a 700r4 rebuild manual when u buy a rebuild kit) or you could pay 1000-1900$ for a complete one ready to bolt in
https://www.700r4l60e.com/store/home.php?cat=20

id stay away from TCI, and B&M when it comes to trans kits/parts. they just overcharge.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982
Engine: 350
Transmission: 350
Re: i really need some advice

hey man thanks for the info i am starting to lean more and more tward rebuilding it myself it will just save me so much money in the end and it would just be nice to know i can rebuild a tranny