Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Unsure as to What Aamco Said...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More
Unsure as to What Aamco Said...

I just got opff the phone with local Aamco inquiring about doing a transmission flush, refilling with Amsoil synthetic fluid and changing the transmission pan to a Derale.

What the guy said has me a little baffled, kinda sounded like bait and switch. He says (Heres the bait), "Oh yeah for that I'd charge 1 hour labor which is $109.99". Then he begins asking why I want to use Amsoil. OK, who cares why I want to use what fluid just put it in if I'm supplying it. Now, I then bring up the transmission pan again and (Heres the switch), "Well, for that it would be an extra hour of labor". I pause for a few seconds and then ask him why it would be an extra hour, just to change the pan when all that is involved is removing the bolts, dropping the pan and hooking the new one up. He says it is because he has to drain the fluid and when I asked wouldn't it be easier to swap the pan in the middle of the flush, he says it cannot be done like that because you can't flush an empty transmission and that the new fluid is actually what flushes the old fluid out.

This seems a tad bass-ackwards to me does this make any sense?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: Unsure as to What Aamco Said...

all these organizations flush by using the atf hole. they dont need to drop the pan. the same machine flushes with a chemical and as the fluid goes in the oil is sucked out.
here is what i did at pepboys. i got an alunimum trans pan with a nut. then i bought a trans filter and a nut with a magnet so the metal would have someplace to go.
so to put in the filter they had to pull the pan. they did not have to flush the trans, they just let it drain. so you save money on the flush.
my aftermarket alunimum pan fit perfect EXCEPT for the front bolt where the mount for the shift bolts on. if i had known that i would have shaved the inside part of the brace where it touches the pan.
they put the bold in straight and did not bolt that piece up.
got home, used my handy black and decker with a small grinding wheel and after 10 minutes it fit perfect. took the dolt out, slid it through the brace, and the bolt fit perfect.
do it that way.
hope it helps.

bough fined alunimum pan for the hole, and thought it would disipate heat well. kept the old one for putting tools in during take apart.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '87 IROC/'68 SS
Engine: 5.7L/350
Transmission: 700R4/Muncie 4-spd
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt / 3.31 12 bolt
Re: Unsure as to What Aamco Said...

I'd interpret that as "bend over". He's charging you 2hrs labor for a 30 min (tops) job. I'd try someone else. I think Tony above mean "atf hose" not "atf hole". :-)