Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Transmission Coolers..HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Coolers..HELP!!!!

Need to know if anyone can shed some light on how to bypass the radiator trans cooler, so i acn install the b&m trans cooler...can it be done? What would i do with the open port holes in the radiator?
Thanks.

------------------
If speed kills.....why am i still alive????
Old 10-16-2001, 08:48 PM

Hey you can plug the open port holes but you dont have to because all that flows threw it is tranny fluid, just make sure it drains whatevers out just so its not messy!!Havent you ever seen a new trans usually they just have orange plugs cause manual and autos are universal. As for the routing of the cooler it should show you in the directions if its a B&M, you have to make sure you hook up the right one to the right part of the cooler, cause it flows a certian way, just like one trans line is a in and out!!!
Old 10-17-2001, 12:19 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 Firebird WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Just leave the open holes open.

It's better than risking the built in cooler mixing antifreeze with your ATF!

I cut my lines and used hose and clamps. A small flare on the end keeps the hose from sliding off. Use higher pressure hose to be safe. The cooler psi is fixed around 20psi for the 700r4

Old 10-17-2001, 09:17 AM

my B&M cooler told me to continue to use the cooler in the radiator along w/ the B&M supercooler. It basically goes in and out of the radiator, to the cooler, and back to the trannie. its basically getting cooled twice (the second being the more effective one)

B&M sends good instructions with it as well

------------------
Jay

Jay's Website
No car with 4 doors is a sports car! this goes back to my friend comparing his Maxima to a Camaro
Old 10-18-2001, 12:14 AM
Supreme Member

That's what they recommend, but I prefer not to use the cooler in conjunction with the stock "cooler".

All you need is a pin-hole in it to destroy a performance $$$$ 700r4 and not to mention all the frictions in the torque converter (vigilanties cost $$$$)

So a cheap 10 year old radiator can destroy everything. Not a risk I want to take.

Old 10-18-2001, 01:06 AM
JJ

I getting ready to put a B&M cooler on my car, I gather it is better to run the cooler independent of the stock cooler. Is the B&M alone sufficient to cool ? As the previous statement says, I would hate to ruin the tranny and vigilante for something so simple.
Old 10-18-2001, 02:16 AM
Supreme Member

If you got the largest cooler I dont see any reason it shouldn't be adaquate.

After you see what the stock cooler consists of (mearly a chamber in the rad side tank) any cooler independent of the rad is better.

Just mount it in front of the radiator, preferably in line with one of the electric fans and it should stay nice and cool. I usually mount them with the fittings both facing up so you don't have to worry about line orientation. Never mount it with the fittings facing down, and if sideways, inlet on the bottom, outlet on top (to prevent air pockets)

Take care to keep the rubber lines from chafing on the sharp sheetmetal. Some flex loom and wire ties keep it tidy.

B&M also has a racing cooler (their largest) which doesn't have any installation pieces. I used this one, but you need to get fittings to convert the female 1/2 NPT to hose barbs, and the zip tie mounts somewhere else, along with some 5/16" high pressure hose, pep boys had all the parts I needed.

The next size down has all the install pieces to mount it inline with the stock cooler so it's missing one of the male to barb fittings anyway if you want to completly bypass the rad cooler.

I just cut the fittings off the tranny hard lines and put a small flare on the end to keep the hose from possibly sliding off, and double clamped the hoses over the hardline.

Old 10-20-2001, 09:02 PM

Thanks to all you guys who have responded...you made my installation a breeze!

------------------
If speed kills.....why am i still alive????