Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700R4 lost 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
700R4 lost 2nd gear

Hi, the tranny on my camaro is giving me a bit of trouble, seems like 2nd gear completely dissapeared. Id drives like normal in first gear, but when its reving about 3000rpm where it usually shifts into 2nd at low throttle it doesnt shift but just keeps reving higher, at about 4500rpm it slams in 3rd gear and the revs drop to 2000.
In 3rd gear at wot it wont downshift to 2nd like usual, it just pulls on 3rd instead, or, sometimes it downshifts and overrevs into the redline, im not sure if its trying to put in 2nd and 2nd is acting liek neutral, or if it downshifts to first and overrevs cus i quickly took my foot of the trottle the few times it happened and im back in 3rd.

reverse and 1st gear works like normal, it also shifts between 3rd and 4th like normal.

I changed oil and filter aprox 5mounths ago, and the oil pan was pretty warped from overtighting the nuts so i had to use silicone to get it completely sealed,
I was thinking maybe some of this silicone came loose inside the tranny and somehow made the 2nd gear valve stuck?, but i dont understand how it could get past the oil filter if thats the case.

is there any trick to finding out if its a stuck valve, or if 2nd gear is just work out, broke, or whatever.

i checked the oil level and it wasnt below the low mark, but i topped it up to full anyhow and no change. i also tried disconnecting the TV cable and it didnt make any diff.

Apologies for any grammar and/or spelling errors, english isnt my first language
Old 04-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '86 Camaro, '02 WRX, '87 K5, '67
Engine: 350 TPI, 2.0turbo, 383 in the works, 289-4BBL, 232, A-head 4-cylinder
Transmission: T56, 5-speed, 700R4, C4, T176, semi-auto 2-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73, 3.90, 4.88, 3.55, 3.54, 7.00
Re: 700R4 lost 2nd gear

I don't think that silicone clogging up anything is your problem. You could have a broken accumulator spring. I've seen this before. That might be part of your problem. I also believe that 2nd gear is held by the band in the trans as opposed to a clutch pack. The band is applied by a servo, so you could have a leaking servo that can't apply the band hard enough to engage 2nd gear. How many miles are on the trans? Did this problem just start?

You might want to check out your governor too.

Don't disconnect the TV cable! That will destroy a 700R4. Have you gone through the adjustment procedure for the TV cable? If it's not adjusted properly that could also be the cause of your problem.

BTW, your english is fine. In fact it's better than some of the stuff posted on TGO by people whos first language is english...
Old 04-13-2009, 09:54 AM

Re: 700R4 lost 2nd gear

Originally Posted by TKOPerformance
I don't think that silicone clogging up anything is your problem. You could have a broken accumulator spring. I've seen this before. That might be part of your problem. I also believe that 2nd gear is held by the band in the trans as opposed to a clutch pack. The band is applied by a servo, so you could have a leaking servo that can't apply the band hard enough to engage 2nd gear. How many miles are on the trans? Did this problem just start?

You might want to check out your governor too.

Don't disconnect the TV cable! That will destroy a 700R4. Have you gone through the adjustment procedure for the TV cable? If it's not adjusted properly that could also be the cause of your problem.

BTW, your english is fine. In fact it's better than some of the stuff posted on TGO by people whos first language is english...
The problem just started yesterday.
I was driving home last night, and accelerated hard out onto the freeway, pulling in 2nd 3rd and onto 4th. Then i was cruising on the freeway for a while and everything was fine, pulled of the freeway, stopped at the first intersection, drove away and 2nd gear was gone. Parked the car for the night hoping its just low on ATF or something, checked today and problem still there.

I was thinking of the band, but i thought the band also applied 4th gear? but maybe there seperate?, i never tore down an auto tranny som im a bit lost here.

Ill try ckecking the governor later since thats the easiest
Biggest prob is this is my daily driver, so i cant just tear down to much and leave it.

TV cable is adjusted, ok, i wont ever dosconnect it again sir ^_^

The car originally rolled of the line with a 5-speed stick-shift that a previous owner replaced with a 700R4, supposedly from a corvette if that makes any diff.
According to the previous owner the 700R4 was newly overhauled when he bought it, in which case it shouldnt have that many miles on it since restoration, but theres a big question mark around this, so the mileage is really completely unknown.

Hope i wont break anything else in the tranny driving around like this for a while.