Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 CI V8 (TBI)
Clutch Replacement

My 1991 Camaro RS (5.0L 305, T-5 5 speed Transmission) needs a new clutch. It slips when I press hard on the gas pedal and revs a bit before catching. Even then, it doesn't accelerate after it catches. I have no knowledge whatsoever on how to replace the clutch. I was wondering if anybody could help my out by sharing any experiences/knowledge they have with me. Also, if I'm buying a new clutch, what exactly do I need to buy? I see multiple options (i.e. - Clutch plate, clutch kit....stuff like that) when shopping online for one. I am on budget at the moment. I'm not trying to be a cheapskate but at the same time, I can't afford to put a super heavy duty NASA space shuttle grade clutch in it. Anyways, what tools will I need to perform this task? Thanks for any help that anybody can give me.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Firebird
Engine: 2.8 v/6
Transmission: t/5
Axle/Gears: open/3.42
Re: Clutch Replacement

First thing would be get the car safely off the ground high enough to get the trans out after you pull it . Next you need to disconnect the drive shaft then pull the shifter while it is in nuetral thenunplug the speed sensor take the torque arm loose at its mount on the trans but be careful it can spring up and hurt you then remove the slave cylinder then remove the bellhouseing bolts and remove the crossmember with a jack under the trans pull the trans back enough to clear the clutch pressure plate and lower it down an move it out from under the car then remove the pressure plate and clutch disk . I would check my flywheel to be sure it is not in need of a turning to get rid of hot spots . If it is ok I would get a clutch kit from the parts store replace all the included components and installation is reverse of removing . All the tools you really need to do this is 4 jackstands , jack , and many wrenches and sockets . Alot of the bolts are metric so keep that in mind when you choose the right size wrench or socket for the bolts .