Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

2 to 3 upshift point keeps getting higher and higher...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 94 Z28
Engine: LT1 w/ headers, catback, CAI, tune
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23s
2 to 3 upshift point keeps getting higher and higher...

Posted this on the general tech section, no response. Maybe I'll have better luck here...

Like the title says, my 2-3 WOT upshift point keeps steadily getting higher. Originally after I got my tranny rebuilt it shifted to 3rd at 5500 rpm or there abouts. After I put a Darrel Young 2400 rpm stall converter in I noticed the shift point moved up to roughly 6000 rpm. Stayed that way for like 6+ months. Now tonight it started not wanting to shift till like 6500+ rpm. TOO darn high. If I back off slightly it will go ahead and shift then I get back on it and it works fine. But that's a PITA.

Anyone have any ideas what might cause this? I checked fluid level, looked dead on right where it should be (checked on level ground, engine running in park. That's the correct way right?). The tranny shifts fine otherwise. The 1-2 is crisp enough to bark the tires usually, and it hasn't changed rpm points. The downshifts are great, even 3 to 2 and when it does shift from 2-3 it shifts plenty firmly. No slippage in any gear that I can tell, and it's pulling hard even when it doesn't want to upshift.

Any ideas? Could this be TV cable related at all? It's set about where it needs to be I think, tranny upshifts/downshifts right on at part throttle. I hope the thing isn't dying on me...

------------------
Ray87Z
-Vortec headed 350.
86 IROC w/ a cammed 305 TPI.
Formerly Ray86IROC.
www.inter-scape.com/Ray
Old 07-14-2001, 09:43 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
I ran into this problem on my car, and everybody threw the same couple answers at me, neither of which was the right answer. They all said TV and governor. I replaced both, and it still shifted too high. I've since come to the conclusion that the tranny may be slipping. Because of this, my engine rpms are at 6k, but the tranny rpms are lower, so technically it's still shifting at the right rpm as far as it knows.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
<A HREF="http://www.rit.edu/~jli4307/camaro" TARGET=_blank>
View the restoration of an 85 IROC</A>
"I didn't know a bored out Ford could go so slow" -Shenandoah
Old 07-14-2001, 11:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Z28
Engine: LT1 w/ headers, catback, CAI, tune
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23s
Hmm, that's not good... I was hoping it would not be a slipping problem. I have no money to get another rebuild.

I'm going to try monkeying with the TV cable just to see if I can effect it. It seems like it would be related to the TV cable because all I have to do to get it shift is to just very quickly "flick" the throttle. I don't even have to wait for the shift occur before I've got it floored again. Just flick the foot really quick and after I've already had it floored again it will immediately go ahead and shift. You can't even actually feel that I did anything funny riding in the car. Like the slight movement of the TV cable triggered the shift... Tested that little trick some tonight and it works everytime. Just the slightest, quickest movement of the throttle and it'll shift. If it's not slipping it will work like this as long as it doesn't get worse.

Hope it's not slipping but that's what I fear. Wouldn't it cease to pull as hard when it's doing it though if it were slipping related? I was racing a mustang the other night when this problem first occured and I continued to pull right past him while it was refusing to shift... Couldn't tell any difference in the rate of pull (very close race, I would have thought the slipping would have obviously effected the outcome).

------------------
Ray87Z
-Vortec headed 350.
86 IROC w/ a cammed 305 TPI.
Formerly Ray86IROC.
www.inter-scape.com/Ray

[This message has been edited by Ray87Z (edited July 14, 2001).]
Old 07-15-2001, 12:16 AM
Supreme Member

Common 3-4 clutch problem, they are on the way out.