Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Stuck in 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2001, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck in 2nd gear

I drove over my friend's place this afternoon w/o a problem. But when I was getting ready to leave I had a really tough time getting out of 1st and into R. With a little muscle I got it into gear and it seemed to be shifting fine. I figured it was just one of those "things", since the Tremec is a lot stiffer than my T-5 was. Anyway, I'm on the highway and try to downshift into 4th and the thing is jammed. I couldn't budge the shifter at all. After a little fighting at an offramp I managed to get it into second, and there it stays. Since it's Saturday and the shop was closed, I didn't take it to the mechanic (besides I'd need to back in) so the car is home now and I'm stumped.

This is a brand new transmission and shifter, both with a little less than 2000 miles on them. It was fine this morning going over to my friend's place. So what happened? Is it possible that I knocked something loose? Pardon my ignorance, but transmissions aren't my strong suit.. in fact I'm downright ignorant when it comes to them. I did notice a plug or something dangling down though. Other than that, everything looks okay on the outside of the transmission (I haven't jacked it up yet cuz there's little light in my garage this time of day -- will do so tomorrow). On the inside, the shifter won't budge, and when it does I can get it into 1st and 2nd only. I cannot get the shifter to move sideways at all, and I don't want to exert too much force and damage anything. Also when moving between gears, instead of there being a noticeable neutral position, there is none. If I put the car into the usual neutral position the car will idle with the clutch out, but the shifter is not at a relaxed position, it's stiff w/o any freeplay.

If anyone has experienced anything similar to this or can point me to a possible solution that would be great and I'd appreciate it. At this point I'd be happy just knowing what that thing dangling down is. 144k miles on my T-5 and I had no such problems. 2k on the superior Tremec and I've had nothing but headaches. Time to call Forte (if he's open).

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Maverick
1989 Formula 350 TPI
5spd Tremec 3550/TKO
several suspension mods
Old 07-08-2001, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow-up:

This morning I went out to examie the tranny. From under the car everything looks fine. The transmission is solid in place, there are no visible fluid leaks, and everything is connected (the dangling sensor is apparently unused in my car as there is nothing even close to it that it could plug in to), and there is no outward signs of damage.

So I removed to console, figuring that the problem could be topside, esp. with the shifter. After removing the console it was clear to me that the problem was with the shifter. There was no side-to-side motion, almost as if those 2 large 17mm bolts that govern side to side motion had bound up.

To "fix" the problem, I loosened the two 17mm bolts on either end. Now there is plenty of side-to-side motion and I can shift fine.

Now, before I seal this thing up and put the console back on, I'm wondering if I did the right thing. Will this problem happen again? If so, should I put some NeverSeize on the bolts so they don't lock up? Or is there another solution?

Thanks for your time.

------------------
Maverick
1989 Formula 350 TPI
5spd Tremec 3550/TKO
several suspension mods