Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Torque Converter Lockup Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Sports coupe/z28
Engine: 2.8/ swapping 5.3
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Open 3.42
Torque Converter Lockup Switch

ok i've been searching and searching for about a week yet, but i cant seem to get my question answered. so,

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF A TORQUE CONVERTER LOCKUP SWITCH?

i have an auto 700r4 and i wanna know should i make one, or would i better with out it?

and if i do make one when should i use it?

thanks in advance
Old 03-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: projects.......
Re: Torque Converter Lockup Switch

As long as you're still utilizing a stock ecu, there's basically little to no purpose in having a manual switch.

For those guys who are switching to carb or doing some more drastic driveline changes, they may benefit from having the ability to manual lock it up.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1983 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: LG4 305ci 4bbl
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt open diff.

i hooked up a lockup switch and it made one heck of a difference. instead of locking up only in OD, it locks up in 2nd, 3rd, and OD giving you better acceleration. the car definitely pulled harder. i rarely use it bc i've heard using it too much will damage the transmission.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by punkdude908
i hooked up a lockup switch and it made one heck of a difference. instead of locking up only in OD, it locks up in 2nd, 3rd, and OD giving you better acceleration. the car definitely pulled harder. i rarely use it bc i've heard using it too much will damage the transmission.

The transmission knows no difference as to whether the tc is locked up or not. The stock tc lock-up clutch, on the other hand, won't handle very much hp.

If you have a good torque converter it will work better un-locked, doing the job as it's designed to. It can't multiply torque if it's locked up.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none

True, but once a torque converter reaches it's stall speed, it basically quits doing any measurable multiplying.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 B4C "police special service"
Engine: L98 494hp
Transmission: tko-600 on order
Axle/Gears: 3.23 true trac

Originally Posted by Shagwell
The transmission knows no difference as to whether the tc is locked up or not. The stock tc lock-up clutch, on the other hand, won't handle very much hp.

If you have a good torque converter it will work better un-locked, doing the job as it's designed to. It can't multiply torque if it's locked up.

I disagree somewhat if it's a lower stall (agree with a highter stall).....I have tried this experiment at the track....I have tried it un-locked and locked....What I seem to find best is after hitting about 2500-3000 rpm in second gear, I flip the switch, the convertor locks, and I have managed two tenths on the track consistantly....and a mile an hour....you definetly feel when the convertor is locked....also I lock mine when on a road course, it drives more like a manual....it will still unlock, even with switch on, when your in first gear, or hit the brakes, but otherwise stays locked....really good for the road racing!!!! But then again it's hard on transmission, so don't drive around with that on. You know you can do this by just putting two wires into the computer connector (might depend on year) in the cab under the dash....I believe it's the top left pin and top right pin...I have mine just pluged into those two pins, and then hooked right to a switch. works awesome. anyway...that's my two cents...
Old 03-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 91interceptorZ
I disagree somewhat if it's a lower stall (agree with a highter stall).....I have tried this experiment at the track....I have tried it un-locked and locked....What I seem to find best is after hitting about 2500-3000 rpm in second gear, I flip the switch, the convertor locks, and I have managed two tenths on the track consistantly....and a mile an hour....you definetly feel when the convertor is locked....also I lock mine when on a road course, it drives more like a manual....it will still unlock, even with switch on, when your in first gear, or hit the brakes, but otherwise stays locked....really good for the road racing!!!! But then again it's hard on transmission, so don't drive around with that on. You know you can do this by just putting two wires into the computer connector (might depend on year) in the cab under the dash....I believe it's the top left pin and top right pin...I have mine just pluged into those two pins, and then hooked right to a switch. works awesome. anyway...that's my two cents...
Again, it's not really hard on the transmission, but it is very hard on the converter clutch. The stock lock-up clutch is only designed for partial/low throttle use.