Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

TH350 Prblems...Help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001 | 02:58 PM

TH350 Prblems...Help...

First off, this is the first automatic car I have owned and know very little about auto trans.

Car:
1980 Camaro Z28 (350 CID)

I bought it from a friend who needed the money and could not afford to complete the project. The car sat for about 2years.

Problem:
This is a newly rebuilt TH350 that sat in the car for about 2years and never was run.
I got the car running this past weekend but can't seem to get it to shift properly.
I have to shift the car all the way down to low before it will engage forward. I can shift it back up to the position where Drive would be and it does not seem to upshift right. I have to feather the gas to get it to shift up, then when it does it seem to be slipping.
It holds well and runs well in low.

Also, I have to shift it all the way down to Drive to get it into reverse. Then it runs fine in reverse. If I shift from low to reverse, it is in the proper location on the console, where reverse should be.

I have checked the fluids, it only had a couple quarts in it when I bought it, so I put in about 8 more and got it reading ok on the stick before driving it. After driving it a bit in low I parked it and checked the fluid levels again while car was idleing and the fluid level was ok.

I don't have the kickdown cable hooked up right now. I have to get a new bracket that will fit the carb and intake I put on. Do I need to have it on to make it upshift? Also, what is the little vacumm-type hose that is comming off the back of the trans? Does it need to be hooked to something?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Keenan

------------------
Snakebite
'80 Trans AM
'89 Firebird
'80 Z28

[This message has been edited by Snakebite (edited March 26, 2001).]
Old 03-26-2001 | 04:44 PM

That little vaccume hose goes to your modulator valve "the valve that makes the tranny shift" it needs to be hooked up to a manifold vaccume sorce. this will cause it to act up, the dentent cabel will make it downshift into 2nd "passing gear" hook it up ASAP.........try this and your prop. should be resolved.

------------------
89 formula 305 H.O. accel plugs and wires, 3" exhaust w/ flowmaster, MSD coil, Stage 3 A.D.S super chip, open air k@n filter, Energy Suspension Hyper-Flex Master Bushing Set, TCI Custom built 700R4 and more mods SOON to come!!
Old 03-26-2001 | 05:00 PM

Thanks for your help.
I will try it tonight and let you know.

Keenan

------------------
Snakebite
'80 Trans AM
'89 Firebird
'80 Z28