Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Please Help!!! T56 Speedo Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help!!! T56 Speedo Problems

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
I have just completed a T56 swap into my 87 IROC auto. My problem is that I need to find a good way to get my speedometer going. I originally intended to have my extension housing modified by JTR(Jag's That Run) to drive my speedo cable, but after contacting them this week I learned that they do not perform this service any more and don't plan on doing it in the future! They did say that they plan to offer a kit with all the parts and detailed instructions to perform the conversion, but it won't be ready for at least a couple months. The car is coming out of the body shop soon, so I need a solution now! I know you can switch to an electronically driven speedo, but my 87 has its VSS sensor in the speedo head(optical) and I would like to keep a stock guage appearance. The only solution I have found so far is the Cable X made by Atrol(converts electric signal to mechanical drive), but I am not too thrilled about having an electric motor driving my cable for time lag and reliablity reasons. If anyone would have any info or ideas Please Respond!!!
Old 03-12-2001, 02:12 PM

try abott technologies. They make an item that uses the VSS as input, and translates that into revolutions of an electric motor to turn the cable. last time i checked it was about $300, the same as a conversion to the tail of the trans. i think they are still online at http//www.abott-tach.com or something similar to that. HOPE THIS HELPS!
Old 03-12-2001, 10:42 PM

I am going through the same thing. although I have not bought it yet I am going with the cable X. I also questioned the life expectancy of a electric Motor turning the cable. After I Looked into it more, The cable X is built for Large trucks like over the road trucks. These are trucks with high mileage from constent use. I also emailed them and they said they have been using some for 10 years now with no problems.

Use the smallest run of cable possible with gradual bends, this will make it that much easier on the electric motor
Old 03-19-2001, 01:29 PM

Car: 88 Monte SS
Engine: Super-rammed L-98 383
Transmission: T-56 6-Speed
Axle/Gears: 8.5" G-BODY G-80 3.73
The JTR modified T-56 tailhousing has worked GREAT for me for the last 3 years. I've put on 32K on the tranny since I've installed it, TROUBLE-FREE OPERATION yeah!!!! That is the more sensible method in my opinion. I never have to worry about motors burning up and such. You guys should have really considered this option. The swap over is not that bad at all, just takes patience and attention to details. HTH's

------------------
88 Monte SS 355 TPI/LT-4 HOT CAM/AFR Hydra-rev/ T-56 6-Speed/1-3/4" full length headers/3" X-PIPE assembly/ 8.5" G-80 rear with 3.73 gears.
community.webshots.com/user/ssynergy
www.y-t-g.com/88monte
Old 03-19-2001, 10:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. As I mentioned, I originally intended to do the JTR conversion. Call them, they don't do it anymore. I can't even find a local machine shop that has a vertical mill to machine the tailhousing if their (build it yourself)kit was available yet. I did already know about the Cable X that is available at www.atrol.com, but am still not too impressed with an electric motor trying to keep up under hard acceleration. For performance use, I would think the Cable X would have a time lag with actual vehicle speed and not provide an accurate VSS signal to the ECM. If anyone has another idea or experience please respond.

------------------
GM Line & Driveability Technician
ASE Master Technician
ASE L1 & XI Certified

87 IROC-Z
four bolt main late model 350, Crane Compucam, Edelbrock headers, Dynomax Cat-back, Crane F.P.regulator, 52mm TPIS T.B., modified MAF, AS&M custom PROM, ported plenum, K&N filter, T56, Star clutch, Summit mini starter, 9-bolt 3.70 gears

"Accept the things you can't change, Change the things that you can."