Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700r4 splurging fluid at engine shut off, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
700r4 splurging fluid at engine shut off, please help.

This is in my friends s-10 blazer that we just put a recently rebuild tranny and engine in. Its a 700r4 behind a 2.8 v6. Not thirdgen I know, but I could really use some help with this one, and I know there are some genius tranny guys here. Heres what's going on:

With engine running, tranny will usually engage gears, and pull the truck, but sometiems will not, and sometimes won't go into park. I'm pretty sure that this is the shifter linkage out of adjustment. We havent tried to adjust the linkage yet.

The really interesting part is that about 3-5 seconds after you shut the engine off, there is a rushing/gurgling from the transmission cooler and cooler lines, and maybe 75% of the time a quantity of foamy tranny fluid will splurge out of the dipstick fill tube. I estimate about a half pint each time.

The tranny worked well on the truck that it was pulled from. The tranny that was in his blazer failed by blowing out some seal and loosing all of the fluid in one huge dump. He did with the old tranny have this happen to him a few times where tranny fluid would splurge from the dipstick, which is what caused me to suspect the only part we re-cycled, the radiator and cooler.

The tranny is not over full.

I'm really at a loss for what could be causing this. Anyone who can help, I'd be greatful.

Thanks

The tranny cooler is a new aftermarket unit that we put in because we though the stock one in the radiator might be clogged or restricted.

Old 02-28-2001, 11:14 PM
Banned

strawberry shake?
*puke*

that could be several things. Sounds a little like overfilling, and a little like water in the fluid.
Usually water will cause foaming. Sometimes a leak in the tranny cooler can get antifreeze into the fluid and vice versa. Check your coolant for pretty colors.
If it looks nasty then I bet that is it.

Otherwise I don't really know.
Old 03-02-2001, 11:15 AM

Turns out when he put in the filter, he didn't have the seal in there. So the tranny was sucking in massive quantities of air into the fluid.

Got it fixed now
Old 03-02-2001, 04:02 PM
Banned

cool, glad you found the problem. Now I've learned something.