Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

TV Setup : aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '86 Trans Am and '03 S-10
Engine: 355ci and 4.3l
Transmission: 700R4 and NV3500
Axle/Gears: 7.625/3.42 Auburn and 8.5/3.08 Gov-
TV Setup : aftermarket

So Im trying to get the tranny going and one thing I think has always been an issue is my setup.
I dont have any stock brackets and stuff, so it seems the geometry isnt exactly correct.

What I got :

BarryGrant Street Demon carb. (stock was Q-jet)
Edel Perf RPM intake
Jegs billet throttle cable and TV cable mount
New stock TV cable
Holley brand TV mount for the throttle plate

Now the Holley TV mount is the one that mounts to the throttle blade and adds the stud for the TV cable to mount to. Suposedly it puts the TV stud in the right spot and has the correct geometry. I had to 'notch' out a part of it because the BG Demon carb has a protruding part where the shaft and carb bracket end are connected. The Holley's are a bit flatter there.
Model is 20-121

The Edel intake mounts the carb a bit higher than the stock one obviously. But IDK if that has made much of a change in therms of the TV setting. However, the stock Q-jet bracket couldnt be used with this intake and anyways the carb wouldnt accept it either. Squarebore vs Spreadbore.

The Jegs bracket fits to the carb mount studs. Fitts nicely and makes the Acc cable straight on. I got the optional underside TV mount bracket also.
The Acc bracket is adjustable and has a range. Lets just say its a 2" range from the carb cable mount.
The TV bracket uses the same mounting bolt as the Acc bracket. It also has a range. But its range is affected by the positioning of the Acc bracket. Meaning after you set the Acc bracket (had the 2" range), the TV is lmited on its range within about an inch or less of the Acc bracket's set position.
In some spot, the TV wont 'recet' and click after a WOT reset of the cable according to the GM insrtuctions. other positioning of it will. But there is only a 'few' clicks or ratchets on reset.

My understanding is that the reset clicks is caused by the TV lever inside the tranny 'bottoming' out as the plunger inside the TV sleeve is in the full in position and cant go farther. That in turn makes the TV cable sleeveing push outward and thus ratchets to reset position.
But it never seemed absolutely correct.
I read all the TV Made EZ info, did a reset to confirm the bottoming out while the tranny pan was off and all was well. But it still doesnt seem right.
Should I scrap this setup and get the TV Made EZ bracket setup specific for the BG carb? Should I try to make this work?

I can get any and detailed pics of my setup if needed.

THX, Michel
Old 10-17-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Re: TV Setup : aftermarket

What about it doesn't seem right?
Old 10-17-2008, 05:07 PM

Shift timing, shift feel and overall operation. The cable seems really tight and has al most no play.

I should get pics of it up.

I just got the fresh rebuild back in and havent got to get it going again. Most of the issues were from B4 the rebuild that I speak of.
I had a problem after the rebuild. I found that the original rebuilder had left out the TV up spring which caused the TV up valve to stick in the bore. Literally juse fixed that.
I had also found that the 2-3 shift spool valve was sticking and had fxed that also.
I havent had a day that I could go out and test it.
I got the Vbody back in, had to take it to the exhaust shop and have all the new pipes welded up (I had just tacked them) and havent got a chance to really get it going down the road. Ill try this weekend tho.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44

Does it shift too early? Too late?
Old 10-17-2008, 05:28 PM

B4 it had shifted too early. I did the B&M Governor kit and got the WOT shifts just about right at 6K RPM. But the part and half throttle shifting was always finnicky. In fact it would hardly ever do a 3-2 downshift by itself unless road speed was reduced to a certain MPH...lets say under 40MPH just for reference.
Currently I have to manual upshift since the rebuild and can only get a 1-2 up and no 2-3 yet.
But Im going to do another run now that I think I have the full fluid amount, going to do the recommnded break-in procedure Dana told me to do.

Heres an older pic I have onhand at the moment. Its all the parts I had listed above. But hard to tell about it. That pic was focused on the rocker arms.
Name:  TA-MagnumRollers1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  168.9 KB
Old 03-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Firebird Formula
Engine: 388 Carb
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Did you fix your problem? I have a CSR bracket for my carb, it is a similar setup, but it feels like my TV cable is not long enough for it. It feels very tight to even install it on the carb letalone at WOT. I feel like it is stretching the cable. I really dont know if my cable is too short and need a new one?