Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Torque converter lockup

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2000, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque converter lockup

I understand how to install a torque converter lockup switch- not hard at all. However, I was just wondering what exactly this does. Why does doing this mod make your car quicker? Sorry so ignorant, I just wanted to know what all this does. Thanks
Old 12-08-2000, 07:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
it really won't give you a major improvment.all it does is put "direct-drive" from the flywheel to the transmission in every gear exept 1st. the torque converter clutch (TCC) controls how freely the converter spins. you can feel it as you go up a hill or slightly accelerate on the highway. it won't downshift,but you can see the tach jump up 250-750rpms and feel the TCC "disengage" momentarilly to compensate for power to keep speed(I call it: the computers' "in-between gears"). the TCC is not like a clutch on a manual car,even when it disengages the rotation will still be transfered through the fluid pressure. when you ground out the ECMs TCC control, it keeps the cluctch engaged and it feels like it's not even there,it's kind of like driving a stick,you'll see the difference on the tach when you hit second gear! if your motor is powerful enough and you have good traction, you could get quicker acceleration due to rotational speed being tranfered directly through the driveline and not being "lost" in the torque converter. hope I didn't confuse anyone,thats the basic idea,other guys here could probably tell you more about it.