Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

t-5 help !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2000, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
t-5 help !!

ok guys maybe someone can help me. I have an 87 IROC with a tpi 305 and a t-5 tranny, the other night, i was driving around all night, and it was fine, finally me and my buds made a 2:00 in the morning wal-mart stop, when i came back out, my transmission would not go into gear or reverse, so i managed to get it into 3rd and drive it home. it seemed like the clutch wasnt doing anything, well the next day i go outside, and start it up, no problems at all, works fine, im like ok, well nuthin 2 worry about then. until 2night, when i left work, i go outside ready to go home and surprise, it wont go into gear, after playing with it for like a half hour, i got reverse and 3rd, but they are very hard to engage, i drive it home, in third because its not to far, now heres the thing, since i only can use 3rd, i would accelerate, then when the rpms got up there, i would just push the clutch in and it seemed to be working, my question is whats wrong? is it my tranny? my clutch? somebody help me, this is my daily driver and i cant drive it like this, please help..

------------------
87 IROC-z 305 TPI 5spd Borg warner 9-bolt 3.42 posi 4 wheel disc, no mods yet,just got it.
Old 11-15-2000, 08:35 PM

somebody help me !!

------------------
87 IROC-z 305 TPI 5spd Borg warner 9-bolt 3.42 posi 4 wheel disc, no mods yet,just got it.
Old 11-15-2000, 08:36 PM
Banned

It is the clutch more than likely. Mine does that too sometimes along with alot of other manual cars. When that happens try to double clutch it that seems to work for me. Only thing is when I double clutch it, it scratches going into gear (especially R)

------------------
1992 Camaro RS 3.1L
T5 Manual 5 speed
Open Air Intake
Z-28 Exhaust
8.5mm MSD Ignition wires
TB Coolant bypass
Old 11-15-2000, 09:38 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Mine did the same thing, got stuck in 4th gear. Your synchros are probably shot. Time for a trans rebuild.

------------------
1991 Camaro Z28
5.7L 5-Speed (originally 305)
13.25 @ 107.18 MPH
Southern California
Member: SoCal 3rd Gen F-Bodies
Webmaster: SoCal F-Bodies
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Old 11-15-2000, 10:43 PM

Car: 89 Iroc Z Cnvertible
Engine: 409 SR
Transmission: 6 speed
I would have to agree with Kevin91Z,
The syncros is what allows the gears inside the tranny to mesh properly and not "scratch" each other. A sone member puts it.
This is one big difference between the non-WC and the WC T5, because the non-WC has BRASS syncros, which tend to wear quicker than the ones in the WC T5 which has some sort of a carbon-fiber syncros.
You can get a "rebuild" kit from www.5speed.com for about $125 i think and replace all the syncros very easily using a CHILTONS, not Haybes, manual and not pay someone an arm and a leg to do the rebuild. You might have to take a few thigns to a machine shop to have a few gears pressed om or off, but still cheaper than paying a shop to do the entire rebuild. MUCH EASIER THAN A DAMM AUTOMATIC!
HTH
Old 11-16-2000, 01:18 AM

someone told me that if you leave it parked in gear, that your clutch will lose pressure, and this will cause it, cause when i parked it at work it was in reverse, cause im a little weary of my e-brake, but when i got home from work i parked it in nuetral, i went up after i made the first post, and it was fine, is there any possibility of it losing pressure? or maybe a bad slave cylinder or something? thanks again.

------------------
Old 11-16-2000, 05:15 AM

Car: 89 Iroc Z Cnvertible
Engine: 409 SR
Transmission: 6 speed
Slave cylinder yes, have you checked the resivoir (sp?)? I have a hard time believing that leaving the tranny in gear when you park is a bad thing. After all its good practice along with the E-brake when you do park, and what about when you are driving the car on the road and its in gear??...is the clutch losing pressure then?.....I don't think so.

Just my opinion. You should really think about doing a rebuild on the tranny.
Old 11-16-2000, 10:24 AM

it only did it on those two occasions, when i drive it in the city or on the highway it shifts fine, thats why this is bothering me. oh and i checked the master cylinder and it is right on the full mark. thanks for your help.

------------------
Old 11-16-2000, 01:07 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 401 Likes on 270 Posts
Car: '92 Corvette, '89 1/2-a-'Vette
Engine: LT1, L98
Transmission: ZF6, ZF6
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.31
There is no way clutch "loses presure" - or losses anything else, for that matter - when parked in gear. If you're not pressing on the clutch pedal, then there IS no presure in the system no matter what the rest of the car is doing. So leaving the car parked in gear causes NO harm to any part of the car.

To answer the origional question, my car did the same thing several weeks ago. The problem was that the clutch disk hub broke, and a small piece of metal was rubbing on the presure plate, causing the disk to want to rotate, even when the clutch pedal was depressed. Then the piece of metal would move, and the clutch would function normally, and so on. I replaced just the disk and it works fine now.

A friend of mine had the exact same problem with hie Honda, but in his case, it was caused by one of the dampening springs in the disk hub.

------------------
'83 Trans Am. 400 CID, 224/234 crane cam, Summit aluminum roller rockers, hand ported intake, home bored 2.09" (53mm) throttle bodies, MSD 454 injectors(75 lb/hr), Holley 255LPH fuel pump, custum modded FPR w/Vacuum port added, Edelbrock TES headers, empty cat, SLP 3" stainless steel cat back, stock ECM & chip. Borg/Warner T-5 World Class, 12" Corvette rotors and clipers, GTA 16" wheels, South Side Machine subframe connectors, 1LE sway bars, 3.45 ring and pinion, Alpine sound.
Old 11-16-2000, 01:42 PM

thanks for the input, i guess im gonna have to yank my clutch out and take a look at everything, this is the only real way to find out what is wrong. if anyone has any other ideas feel free to let me know, thanks again.

------------------
87 IROC-z 305 TPI 5spd Borg warner 9-bolt 3.42 posi 4 wheel disc,8.8 Accel wires , bosch platinum +4 plugs,gutted air box,k&n oil filter,synthetic oil 10w30
Old 11-16-2000, 03:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI siamesed runners
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: 12-Bolt 3.73
Just to clarify your sig, a 9-bolt is 3.45 ratio, a 10-bolt is 3.42. Good luck with your trans.
Old 11-22-2000, 04:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
Dude, check your slave cylinder under your car. Mine broke friday night. I was having the same problem you are having. Wednesday, it was hard to shift in any gear, thursday it would not go into reverse, the gears would grind. It wouldn't do it all the time, but it was getting more frequent. Finally, friday night(car was parked from thursday night till friday night) car shifts fine, about ten minutes later I am downshifting from 5th to 4th and I can't get it into 4th, it just grinds the gears. Well, I can't get it into 5th either, grinds the gears. I am like "oh, ****, why now!". So, I SLAM it into 4th. I was getting pissed off cuz I just had my centerforce installed 3 weeks prior and was thinking the shop messed up my car. As I get off the highway, I am in 4th gear, pressing in the clutch and slowing down then the engine stalls. I put it in neutral, start her up and have to slam it into 3rd(I was coasting when i started her up). Get to a stop light, light turns green and I can't get into any gear. I am there for 5 minutes trying to force it into 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. Finally forced it into 1st and pulled right into a parking lot. called my bro and some friends. Slave cylinder had broken, one of the bolts broke off. New one fixed the problem.

------------------
Zepher
'86 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 5 Speed:
Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM 7101 Intake Manifold.
Edelbrock Open Element Air Cleaner: Flowmaster Exhaust, 160* Thermostat,
Grant GT Steering Wheel, MSD HEI Coil, Taylor 8mm Wires, Recaro Seats,
Alpine CD+Changer,Rockford & Soundstream Amps, Premier TS-1040C Subs, Polk Audio highs/mids.

WS6 Trans Am
Old 11-22-2000, 07:14 PM

well the slave cylinder could of been a good possibility, but last night, i was leaving work, and i put it in first, no prob. start to pull out, and shift to 2nd, time for third,but i can barely get it into 3rd, i finally do, and then i go to shift into 4th, and its stuck in third, i pull the shifter down to where neutral should be, and it is stuck in some gear, not sure, but it was making some crazy noises, finally, now i have 1st,2nd,5th, and reverse, all these work, unless i try to put it into 3rd or 4th, then everything has problems, including nuetral. i have come to the conclusion that my tranny, is dead, i will know for sure when i start to tear into it next week, i found a t-5 out of an 86 camaro for $175 and a new clutch is only $100 for me since i work at a parts store, so i will be doing this next week, any helpful info on inspection , installation , helpful hints etc. etc. will be greatly appreciated, also i heard this isnt to hard of a job to do, does anyone know? i will probably be doing it on my freinds lift using air tools. so it should be a breeze. thanks for all your help!!

------------------
87 IROC-z 305 TPI 5spd Borg warner 9-bolt 3.45 posi 4 wheel disc,8.8 Accel wires , bosch platinum +4 plugs,gutted air box,k&n oil filter,synthetic oil 10w30
Old 11-23-2000, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may not be a big help, but I suggest that if you are buying a used tranny that you make sure it works (of course), and replace the rear seal if it has been sitting for any amount of time. I had to replace my T-5 with a used tranny (for the time being) and did not replace that seal, I ended up dropping the drive shaft about 3 times trying to get it to seat right. This may save you some trouble. Good luck.

------------------
'86 IROC-Z
305 LG-4, T-5
T-Tops
50k Original Miles
K&N Air Filter
Stage I Chip
KYB Shocks/Struts
Centerforce Dual Friction