Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

throbbing shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2000, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
throbbing shifter

Hey... is it normal for the shifter to "move" when you accelerate? It's still in gear, not popping out or anything... It's in there nice and tight, it's not like it's loose and wiggling... It's only on accel, it moves forward and right some..

It's as if the torque from the engine were actually MOVING everything.... You'd think that since the tranny is bolted into the engine and the crossmember, it wouldn't MOVE.... Maybe the engine is torquing, and that's what I'm seeing? It only happens in gear, not in neutral...

I noticed it before just by feeling it, and now that I have a new transmission, i can *SEE* it move, maybe 1/8"...

Thanks,
Tesla

------------------
91 T/A 305 tpi SD
STB, Airfoil, Hooker cat-back, pseudo-cold air to K&N, Accel coil, !cat, !smog pump.
The Wankel Rotary Engine - The replacement for displacement.
Old 10-17-2000, 11:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Engine torque is doing it. When the car is out of gear, the flywheel rotates freely and provides little opposition to the engine, so everything stays in place. When the car is in gear, there is increased resistance from the wheels and shaft which causes the engine and transmission to twist opposite to the rotation of the shaft.

If you can see it happen now and you couldn't before it probably means your new tranmission is not as securely mounted as your previous one.

------------------
1984 Silver Z28, 383 cid 4 bolt, ARP Fasteners, 2 1/2" Cowl Induction Hood, 600 cfm Performer Carburetor, Torker II Intake, Performer RPM Heads, XE268H Cam, Magnum Roller Tip Rockers, MSD6AL Ignition, Blaster2 Coil, Recurved HEI Distributor, 700R4, TransGo SK, 2.73:1 Limited Slip Dana 44, Terminator Headers, Custom 3" TIG Welded Stainless Exhaust, Flowmaster Muffler, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes, Oil Cooler
Old 10-18-2000, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh... Makes sense... I just checked, and it DOES do it in neutral also...

-Tesla

------------------
91 T/A 305 tpi SD
STB, Airfoil, Hooker cat-back, pseudo-cold air to K&N, Accel coil, !cat, !smog pump.
The Wankel Rotary Engine - The replacement for displacement.