Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

honest 700R4 upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honest 700R4 upgrades?

okay, so i've done a search & read quite a lot on here re: 700R4

between that and other homework, i know i want to do some upgrades to my trans before install

the only mods i want to do, are ones i can do myself, and not getting to deep into the trans (ie. special tools, etc)

this car is for long distance travel use, and not likely to be raced

what i have is a later model 90 700r4 out of a 2wd truck 350

this trans was rebuilt by a friend of mine, who did it in his driveline technician course (sent to by dealer he has been working for over past years) before graduating
trans was dyno tested (trans dyno), and otherwise has been sitting on his garage shelf (well wrapped up & plugged) with some fluid kept inside, for last couple of years
it was rebuilt with all OEM parts, adjusted to spec, and nothing else added

~

questions;

transgo kit - in my homework, i've seen good things about the transgo kit, and i would want to install it in the auto mode (vs manual select mode)

vette servo - not sure if this is something i can install easily, and is this a worth while change?
which his the best vette servo upgrade, often referred to

adjustments - i believe the 700r4 doesnt have adjustable bands, etc. like the th400, so i shouldnt need to do anythig other than pull the pan, make sure any moisture is gone, new filter & fluid (likely i'll install new pan also
is that good enough?

cooling - i have the large b&m cooler to install with it, and have been thinking about installing an inline filter as well?
would a deeper pan help, by allowing more fluid capacity?

~

any & all feedback is wanted
thanks

Last edited by whiley; 06-18-2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1983 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28
Engine: Forged 355 with a GT45 turbo
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: built 4th gen rear with 3.27s
Re: honest 700R4 upgrades?

check this site out

http://www.700r4l60e.com/

guy is very helpful
Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 PM

i'll check it out, maybe post there same Qs?

still looking for specific questions feedback
thx
Old 06-18-2008, 10:20 AM

The corvette servo and transgo kit are both good mods, However without completely tearing down the trans you will not be able to install all of the transgo kit but thats ok the most important stuff for your application is the stuff that goes in the valve body. A cooler is never a bad Idea ,
Old 06-18-2008, 02:26 PM

thx for reply

okay, so the vette servo i install from the side of trans
heres a good link
http://s-series.org/component/option...m,6/task,item/

i'm sure that i'm not the only 700r4 novice, so maybe can get some further detail about which parts help & why?

the vette servo piston will improve holding power, and provide some firmer shifts

i found this interesting article
http://www.technicalevolution.com/niceshft.htm
many rebuilders have found, including myself, that increasing the size of the 3/4 release hole to .078" (I got this trick from a shift kit, so I must admit that shiftkits can be a "good thing" if the correct things are altered, for the right reasons), which tends to help the 3/4 clutches release during a 3rd to 2nd downshift, eliminating "bind up" in this condition, as well as replacing the servo accumulator check ball capsule (the capsule wears severely, and can be the CAUSE of 3/4 clutch failure, in many cases, and drilling the 3rd clutch apply hole to around .090", can all help make the 3/4 clutch failure a "thing of the past", in most cases. One more interesting comment about 700 "common repair mistakes": I have never seen a problem with the 2nd gear band overheating, due to a soft 1st to 2nd gear shift....So why does everyone want to install the Corvette servo piston that has more surface area. The corvette uses a specially calibrated valvebody and separator plate, designed with the special servo piston in mind, so it does not produce a tremendously hard shift, into second; installing the Corvette servo in a transmission that does not have a valvebody and separator plate designed with the Corvette servo piston in mind, produces a harsh shift that causes premature failure of the sungear shell, and input sprag
discussion / comments?

Originally Posted by performabuilt
The corvette servo and transgo kit are both good mods, However without completely tearing down the trans you will not be able to install all of the transgo kit but thats ok the most important stuff for your application is the stuff that goes in the valve body. A cooler is never a bad Idea ,
Old 06-18-2008, 02:47 PM

cool link
Old 06-21-2008, 09:34 PM

which one LOL

Originally Posted by comp
cool link
any more input? performabuilt?