Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Complete rear end swappage!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Re: Complete rear end swappage!

ok i was all done as of a few days ago, but anywho, when i poped off the Diff cover to replace the fluids and gasket, me and my buddy counted the ring and pinion and divided em and I have a 3.45 rear! (it was also stamped on the ring) but i was pretty happy, i thought i was getting 3.23's. anyways, so everything seems to be working good, i just need to either connect my brake cables or order new ones. dale, the ones that you ordered, on the tips did they have round ball type ends or another shape? just wondering. i dont think it really matters about the year just the fact that its from drums to disc e brake cables. and i bled my brakes and they seem to work just fine, all the rust is off the rotors so they must be working right??? well my rears dont lock up, i even slammed on them and they work just fine..so i dunno...do i need a new prop valve then?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:03 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS Vert
Engine: 350 S-TPI
Axle/Gears: GU5/G80/J65

I think the were *****. And the ones that came with the axle were cylinder shapped. They are in and work.

When you slammed on the brakes, did it nose dive alot? They wont lock up because they shouldnt be getting enough pressure.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:28 PM

yea same with mine, im gonna back track and get that part num you had for the cables....so, yesterday i come off the highway and i smell something like burning rubber(?) and i look out to my right and see smoke piling towards the front of the car, and the lady in the lane next to me is staring at my rear tire, so i say an OH F--K and pull over and sure as **** my back right rotor is SMOKING HOT! (literally smoking) so i look all around, no fluids in sight at all, nothing at all, nothing rubbbing no contact at all. i mean my rotor is hot as he|| so im thinking that something is rubbing on it maybe the calipers are messed up, i dunno, i didnt get to go to a place where i can pull off the tire its just sittin in the apt lot. that pissed me off. and no the nose didnt dive much i even slammed on it. where did you get a prop vlave on here for 30 bucks shipped? or is that a secret?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 AM
TGO Supporter

I am going to say the odds that the steel calipers wont take the same cable as the aluminums. So your going to have to search for the correct cable.

Not good that your calipers locked up. As that means your rotor is toast now too.

I didnt get a prop valve for 30. I just said I got it from gmpartsdirect
Old 04-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 80 SE/TTA;88 T/A GTA;86 T/A
Engine: 4.9L Turbo; LT1; empty
Transmission: TH350; T56; empty
Axle/Gears: 3:23 disk; 4:10 disk ; 3.42 disk

GM parts direct is $60 and sum change IIRC plus i'm assuming shipping. I picked one up from a fellow member for $30 to my door of which i just search up people selling 89+ rear disc axles and asked them if they had the prop valve for them. I did that just for the fact that i worried if i asked sumone a general question such as i need a 89+ disc/disc prop valve...someone would be like "oh yea i got one", mean while it was off of his 1985 disc/drum car, since there is no true tested way of telling one another apart because they are visually identical to my knowledge. It may be in your interest to have the piece of mind knowing your getting the correct one to order from GMpartsdirect.com.

Last edited by 84redta; 04-28-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 camaro rs
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: stock tranny
Axle/Gears: stock gears

quick question for you guys. i got a 92 rs, and want to change to rear disc. could i use the rear off of a 4th gen? orwhat rears could i use that wouldnt break the bank. and i have no probs with used parts!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dale
I am going to say the odds that the steel calipers wont take the same cable as the aluminums. So your going to have to search for the correct cable.

Not good that your calipers locked up. As that means your rotor is toast now too.

I didnt get a prop valve for 30. I just said I got it from gmpartsdirect
well, I dont see what the deal is between the two, other than the fact that its different metals doesn't really play a role, but the fact that its disc from drum seems logical. in a nut shell they do reach, but just different shapes at the end. yea, but only one locked up, could this be due to the line getting clogged up? it doesnt even matter i slapped it together right before i left for south america (today) and drove it around for a few days, but when i get back im getting a WILWOOD set or SSBC, but if anything ill get some new rotors, cross drilled and slotted. basically the rear end was just a foundation for everything else im going to ad, since i got hooked up with some 3.45's. that should match the 350 and T56 im also gettin when i get back
Old 04-28-2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroKingpin
quick question for you guys. i got a 92 rs, and want to change to rear disc. could i use the rear off of a 4th gen? orwhat rears could i use that wouldnt break the bank. and i have no probs with used parts!
YES YES and YES somewhere off the home page, there is a list of do's and dont's for this swap and everything else in between. but if you still have a 6'er in that camaro i dont think the gears would match up to well because youll prolly be gettin some 3.23's? but someone correct me if im wrong..
Old 04-28-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by 84redta
GM parts direct is $60 and sum change IIRC plus i'm assuming shipping. I picked one up from a fellow member for $30 to my door of which i just search up people selling 89+ rear disc axles and asked them if they had the prop valve for them. I did that just for the fact that i worried if i asked sumone a general question such as i need a 89+ disc/disc prop valve...someone would be like "oh yea i got one", mean while it was off of his 1985 disc/drum car, since there is no true tested way of telling one another apart because they are visually identical to my knowledge. It may be in your interest to have the piece of mind knowing your getting the correct one to order from GMpartsdirect.com.
yea, i went to GM parts and they dont really have descriptions of the products, hell, you cant even FIND anything unless you have a part #...what is the # anyways for the 89+ prop valve? are you saying you did it that way? or hit someone up on TGO for a prop valve? ed miller PM'd me and said 100 bucks shipped to me for an 89+ prop valve...but i dunno, like you said, who knows if its the right one. and whats IIRC? thats about the only acronym on here i dont understand. thanks red.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:12 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by CamaroKingpin
You can, but then you have to go to 4th gen wheels and put spacers on the front.
----------
Originally Posted by samiam91RS
well, I dont see what the deal is between the two, other than the fact that its different metals doesn't really play a role, but the fact that its disc from drum seems logical.

Your right one mounts on the front, where mine the right mounts on the rear. It appeared to me the mounting down at the caliper end was different as well.

Last edited by Dale; 04-28-2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 camaro rs
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: stock tranny
Axle/Gears: stock gears

Originally Posted by samiam91RS
YES YES and YES somewhere off the home page, there is a list of do's and dont's for this swap and everything else in between. but if you still have a 6'er in that camaro i dont think the gears would match up to well because youll prolly be gettin some 3.23's? but someone correct me if im wrong..
yup, got a 6er
Old 04-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 80 SE/TTA;88 T/A GTA;86 T/A
Engine: 4.9L Turbo; LT1; empty
Transmission: TH350; T56; empty
Axle/Gears: 3:23 disk; 4:10 disk ; 3.42 disk

You can, but then you have to go to 4th gen wheels and put spacers on the front.

not true, i've run two different sets of 3rd gen wheels, my base crosslace 15" firebird wheels (of which was JUST enough to clear the rotor) and now the new set of 89+ formula 16" cast wheels. What you may be refering to is the fact that if you use a 4th gen rear with 3rd gen wheels, they will stick out due to the offset. If you use 4th gen wheels then they will fit in the wheel wells as they are supposed to. As far as the 3rd gen wheels sticking out, it's not as bad as it sounds, they only extend ~1.5" (98-02 LS1 axles) out on each side, of which the tire will be RIGHT up to the edge of the wheel well, and still should tuck nicely, and it gives a (in my opinion) hellaciously nice wide tire track in the back.

back to topic. I bought from a fellow member an 89+ prop valve for $30 shipped. I don't understand why Ed would try and sell you one for $100 when you can get them new for $60, although he may be selling you new parts. Ed (ebmiller) is our brake connoisseur. He is the know-all when it comes to 3rd gen brakes whether custom, made to fit, or original parts part numbers. As i said i got one from a board member for $30 shipped, past that i'm guessing i got a good deal, but looking at GMpartsdirect, it sounds like it's about right for a used 16-19 year old part.

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly. I know what you mean, seems like i'm trying to figure out a new one every day, people just keep making them, haha.