Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Clutch Replacement Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 z-28
Engine: 350 F code
Transmission: 5spd
Clutch Replacement Problem

Took the car into the shop to have a clutch installed and rear main replaced.
I have never had problems with shifting other than slave/master cylinder failure, but both were replaced about 3 months ago and everything worked great.
After the clutch was installed, the car would not shift according to the shop. Thier initial guess was that the pressure plate that came with the ZOOM clutch was faulty.
After some discussion, i convinced them to check to see that the slave pushrod traversed the specified minimum travel (~1.125-inches) and to check to see that the plastic bushing was installed back in its place, since the retainer for it typically breaks after the first few clutch applications and it can then fall off.
After this they checked it out and figured it didnt travel the 1.125-inches and the fix was to modify the pushrod with a grade 8 bolt.

However, they also contended that the increased pressure required for the ZOOM HD pressure plate must've bent the clutch fork.

A NEW clutch disc would take more pedal travel to actuate, correct?

So if the clutch fork WAS bent all along, it may not have shown up until this?

Any bent clutch forks out there? I'm trying to hunt down the real issue here and im a bit uncertain as to whether a modification of the pushrod is acceptable as a long term fix.

With much uncertainty,
-Tanner
Old 04-10-2008, 11:49 AM

Re: Clutch Replacement Problem

Update:

The shop put the old clutch and pressure plate back in. Everything works fine. They compared the clutch fork to a new one, no difference, so im assuming if its bent, it's not much.

They are relating the problem to the clutch DISC, saying that it was too thick. I agree that it was too thick to actuate the clutch properly. It was part number MF1675-1A, which is correct to the best of my knowledge.

We're guessin it was a mispackaged part? They said the disc was not only much thicker, but also a larger diameter. 10" vs 10.4" im guessin.

Is there any sort of adjustment on the clutch fork or ball? What gives?

Last edited by Elephantismo; 04-10-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 z-28/SFC/bilsteins/adj.arms
Engine: 355sbc/Demon650dp/hedmanheaders/
Transmission: t-5, alum DS
Axle/Gears: 3.42 torsen posi, baer discs

I have the same question....does adjusting the ball stud in the bellhousing affect clutch travel or engagement points?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:28 PM

I dont know if no one knows... or what. It seems possible that adjusting the ball OUT towards the back of the block would give you extra travel.... whether it would need to be adjusted back after the clutch wears or not, i dont know. You could potentially run into problems with heavier pedal pressures too i suppose.
Anyone have some experience with this?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

my spec pressure plate just stopped workin... doing the same thing yours is.. it wont shift into gear... i think its the pressure plate... i've just replaced my master/slave cyl too...