Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Questions about 9 Inch

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 camaro
Questions about 9 Inch

Ok I have read through the search and couldn't find the info I needed so I have a few questions. I am doing 2 custom 9 inches up and please don't tell me it is not worth it because I don't have several thousand dollars to do the rear ends on both my camaro and my g/fs camaro. (both 85 z-28s although hers is an Iroc with rear discs) I do however have alot of patience, access to a lathe, mig welder, air compressor, etc and since it seems you can't easily get a direct bolt in 9 inch I want to do a log of my project to help others.

Ok here are my questions

1. Is the Moser 9/Curry/Anyone elses 9 inch a DIRECT bolt in width wise. What i mean is the wheel backspacing and everything can be left stock right? The reason I ask this is because if they are the perfect length I was going to tell them I need 2 sets of REPLACEMENT axles for their rear end and shortened the housing based off this so I have less of a chance of screwing up.

2. From previous question will these axels work with standard ford 9 inch large bearings. (may sound dumb but just making sure there is nothing wierd)

3. I understand that the housing end on the third gens are unique. While I don't have the housing here from the IROC are both the drum and disk rear end housing flanges/ends the same?

4. Are the bottom 2 bolt holes on the moser/strange 9 inch small GM conversion rear end housing ends the same distance as the third gen? (i realize the third gen does not have the top 2 sets of bolts)

5. To anyone who put LT1 Brakes or Stock brakes on their 9 inch. Was there a problem with the axel hub being too large for the discs or was this the proper size?

6. Can anyone post pictures of the housing ends for me and if you have stock or LT1 brakes on pictures of your setup would be nice?

7. Is there a significant space difference between the aftermarket 9 Inch housing end to axel distance compared to the stock setup?

If anyone is interested in my plan here it is. If I can get replacement axels for a moser 9 inch (providing everything is the right width) I have an extra housing laying around for a jig with axels. I was going to put the bearings on the axels and build my jig directly off the axels and mounting points for the f-body rear. Was also going to go off the bottom 2 holes on the housing end from the stock setup and the top holes on the triangular piece.

Next I was going to buy the small gm 9 inch housing ends provided the bottom holes are the same distance apart. I was then going to cut the stock 9 inch housing ends off and replace them with the small gm 9 inch ends. From here I was going to install my pumpkin into the 9 inch do some careful measuring and find out approximatly how much to cut out of the axel tubes (staying on the conservative side and using a chop saw and several center lines so I don't get the thing rotated or cut messed up) from here I was going to install my axels into tubes with the housing ends. Once I got the right length I was going to use my center lines (which will go down the lenght of the tube) along with the center of the 9 inch housing mounted in the jig and the line up my axels. Then where I had previously made the jig bolt up to the bottom 2 holes I would bolt the axel tube here. Using a straight edge along the axel tubes and having the axels mounted in the housing end and spines in the pumpking I will tack weld the tubes.

From here I will make sure everything spins freely and is straight (by going over the tube joints with a straight edge). If all is ok I will pull the axel put the housing back in the jig bolted by the pinion and center section and housing ends with the axles out and finish welding the joints. Then from where I had mad the jig fit the old shock mounts/ spring perches etc I was going to cut the old ones off f body housing and weld them to the 9 inch.

Finally I was going to take some flat steel the appropriate thickness and cut out the proper shape for the top two holes. I will drill them and weld them on the flange ends.

If all goes well I should have a 9 inch that will bolt in completely stock and fit the stock brakes along with the 1 LE brakes.

I know this sounds complicated and hard but to do two of them I thing it should be worth it. Not to mention I love doing this stuff and unless I get a kick *** summer job I can't afford to do two of these. My rear diff in my 85 is ok but I'm waiting to get my 434 bottom end from the shop so I don't think that will last long. My g/f just purchased my buddies 85 iroc that he blew the rear diff in. This seems like the only sensable solution for someone a short budget with 2 cars that like to eat rear ends.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
Re: Questions about 9 Inch

the time spent to make a 9" fit the car could be saved by just buying their housing and axle package for $1000 shipped to your door. Thirdgen brakes are NOT an option with these rears, you'd need to run LT1 brakes or LS1 brakes with the appropriate backing plates. Moser will weld on the GM housing ends so it all bolts together.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:38 PM

Well thanks however as I stated I am not sure if that is an option since I live in Canada so shipping is probably going to cost me more. So since you have a moser rear can you tell me if the offset is the same or if there were any other problems installing other than the brakes?

I may be able to buy one housing and axle package now, I would prefer to do this myself if I could. Money is tight though between school and all the other projects going on.

Also why do the third gen brakes not fit is it just the housing end?

Any other useful info on this?

Thanks
Old 03-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11

Offset on the housing ends and backing plate is different.

I made a how-to assemble a moser 9" rear, which I thought was an excellent buildup to be sticky'd but unfortunately it never was. it was in the drag racing board if you'd like to check it out here it is:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/orga...hlight=moser+9

this is a 100% boltin setup with the same width. After you buy axles, housing ends, pay to have yours narrowed, find a 9" housing, etc. you might as well buy new and have a superior and stronger housing. Thirdgen brakes do not fit as moser doesn't have the spacers, you might as well just run the LT1 brakes and save the hassle.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Supreme Member

Car: A Portly 85 Z28
Engine: 4.530 X 4.250 BBC
Transmission: under rated for this application
Axle/Gears: also under rated

WOW that`s alot of typing!!!

Your really thinking about it too hard, I`ll try to help but buying a rear housing axle package would be most cost effective...for the caliber of parts used in the aftermarket they are a good deal, you will not find them in a salvage yard...I`m referring to big webbed centers,dom tubes, 3.25 tubes, billet ends,jig fabbed ready to cook.
but if you insist, you can pick up the housing ends for a 10 /12 bolt that accept the ford big bearings (bolt in style bearings) they run under 100.00 normally. Using these ends you can bolt up your favorite GM disc system, as far as offset (flange to outer surface of axle shaft) you can set this when pressing the bearings on...2.5 is the std ford offset, 10/12 bolts used 2.75-2.81...I think the 7.5 rear used 2.75 for offset. you will need to cut the tubes and have the ends welded using a jig that centers off the carriers center line,I`ve seen these mandrels for sale in the 225 range. cutting factory axles to fit the new housing also requires a little care as one is always shorter than the other on a 9 inch and have splines cobbled onto them will be required. the torque arm is a whole nother thing to deal with, do some searching there are plenty of guys here who come up with alternatives or have found someone to buy a pre fabbed part to fit.

Of course you can buy the needed axles in the right length from many different vendors but even if you tried to order for a bolt in f body 9, I`d bet they would still want a measurement.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:44 PM

Car: 91 Formula
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by crazycrocket

Well thanks however as I stated I am not sure if that is an option since I live in Canada so shipping is probably going to cost me more.
I too live in Alberta and the cost of shipping north of the border is rediculous. Check out this link for a cheaper alternative for Alberta residents.

http://www.calgaryfirebirdclub.com/f...read.php?t=578

Last edited by 91_Formula; 03-15-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: my bad spelling...
Old 03-15-2008, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Keep the good info coming.

If the problem with using stock brakes on a moser is needing a spacer what is stopping anyone from cutting out a spacer and drilling the proper holes, using counter sunk holes in the top so its flush for the backing plate to mate on it? I realize for things to be perfect you would have to mill it flush and to the perfect thickness.

I'm going to call moser on monday see how much it is to get the housing and axel kit shipped up here and double check with them everything but the brakes line up. If it is reasonable I will order one and hopefully I can figure out the other one from that one. (my g/fs car isn't a drag car or anything just a healthy 305 TPI that might have a better cam, so I don't think tubing strength is going to be an issue, it obviously was however powerful enough to blow the junky 10 bolt)

Once again thank you guys for the info and if anyone else has more info I'd definatly like to hear it.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:55 AM

Car: 84 TA Black/ Gold
Engine: 383 With Vortec Heads
Transmission: 700 R4 Lvl2 Performabuilt 9.5 Vert
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" with 3.70

I don't know where all you folks live, but I live in NB and I know there is a guy in maine that everyone north of the border ships too. He charges a fee. For example he charged me 20 dollars to unload an engine from a truck and load it on the back of mine. This way we drive 45 minutes pick up our stuff go back across the border and only pay your duty and taxes. Most stuff is duty free today . This way you eliminate brockerage fees . If you live close to the border ask you border they will know if there is a guy in the usa border town that handles shipping . I know I had a moser rearend shipped from a prvt deal. It was shipped from virginia to maine through dsl. It only cost me around 40 dollars and that was a spur of the moment ship....If you look around you will find better deals. So in a nut shell if shipping to canada look for a us prvt depot. I bet you will find one in your border town. Good luck

Also the thread by xpndbl3 is a very good post I followed it when i set mine up and it went really good.