Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

So what is the final word on T56 pedals? 3rd or 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
So what is the final word on T56 pedals? 3rd or 4th gen?

Searching yields so much conflicting information. Do the 3rd gen pedals work, or not? Whats the deal with the master mounting point and pedal travel/3rd gen pedals giving too much travel?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,419 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: So what is the final word on T56 pedals? 3rd or 4th gen?

Yes they work. No they're not perfect. The problem has nothing to do with the MC mounting, it mounts exactly the same in both. The problem is that the stud on the 3rd gen pedal is farther from the pivot than it is on the 4th gen pedal, so the 3rd gen pedal ends up creating too much MC travel. More than it needs. Which besides being unnecessary, makes the pedal pressure higher, because your leg has less leverage on the clutch.

So, if you have an existing stick setup in your 3rd gen, you can use it, but it's less than ideal. You could change it to the 4th gen and make it better. If you're doing the conversion from scratch, best to use a 4th gen pedal assy and cut the accel pedal bracket off.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:12 PM

Car: 87 Camaro
Engine: 406
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" ford 35 spline axles

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Yes they work. No they're not perfect. The problem has nothing to do with the MC mounting, it mounts exactly the same in both. The problem is that the stud on the 3rd gen pedal is farther from the pivot than it is on the 4th gen pedal, so the 3rd gen pedal ends up creating too much MC travel. More than it needs. Which besides being unnecessary, makes the pedal pressure higher, because your leg has less leverage on the clutch.

So, if you have an existing stick setup in your 3rd gen, you can use it, but it's less than ideal. You could change it to the 4th gen and make it better. If you're doing the conversion from scratch, best to use a 4th gen pedal assy and cut the accel pedal bracket off.
He is exactly correct... I found out the hard way..Installed 3rd gen pedal only to have problem with the travel of the slave cylinder. Installed 4th gen pedals and it works perfectly...
Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 PM

Car: 92 z28, 07 Silverado
Engine: LS1, 5.3
Axle/Gears: 3.73, 3.23

Im the same, Used a set of 4th gen pedals and worked perfectly.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird
Engine: 355

another vote for the 4th gen pedals. I have never used a hydraulic clutch that felt so smooth. I was used to the old style v8 clutches, where you got a real workout shifting gears, but my firebird now is really easy on the leg, and very smooth. Almost as light to push as my 4cyl saturn, that probably has some air in the clutch system. So put in the 4th gen pedals, and let it work how it was meant to.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 350ci L98
Transmission: T56 - Hurst Shifter
Axle/Gears: BW - 3.70

Wow 4 votes for 4th gen and 0 for 3rd gen. I'll have to voice my opinion and ruin the streak.

When I did the swap it tried the 4th gen pedals first. I used the pedals as a guide to drill the hole for the master cylinder which lined up very close to the template on the carpet padding. When I installed the pedals and master cylinder and connected the push rod to the clutch pedal the alignment was way off. It was so far off that I was barely able to get the rod onto the stud and I was worried that it would bind up or just not work at all. I know other people have used the 4th gen pedals and didn't have any problem with the alignment. However, the stud on the 4th gen pedals is on the left side of the clutch pedal and on the right side for the 3rd gen set. So it would make sense that there would be an alignment issue. I swapped in the 3rd gen set the push rod was dead on. Also, the clutch was a bit lower compared to the break on the 4th gen set, dead even on the 3rd gen set. Not that it matter, just visual appearance. I also think the 3rd gen set fits the car better. Everything lines up perfectly. The pedals on the 4th gen set are closer to the floor, basically even with the stock gas pedal which I liked. The 3rd gen set was a bit higher as it was when I had the auto pedals. Usually the break and clutch are higher than the gas pedal.

The pedal push is defiantly stiffer with the 3rd gen set. I have a aftermarket clutch so this probably contributes to some of that. I don't mind it but it stop and go traffic is becomes annoying. Also the engagement point is close to the floor for the 4th gen set which is normal but the 3rd gen set is toward the top of the pedal which some people don't like. I like it because you can shift gears quicker because you only have to push the clutch about half way down.

Anyway either set with work, those are just some of the pros and cons. You could just do like I did and buy both sets, pick the one you like best and sell the other.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird
Engine: 355

Originally Posted by vbMike
.....The pedals on the 4th gen set are closer to the floor, basically even with the stock gas pedal which I liked. The 3rd gen set was a bit higher as it was when I had the auto pedals. Usually the break and clutch are higher than the gas pedal....

Thats one thing i noticed too, but i dont think it interferes really. I wear size 10.5 shoes, (about average) and sometimes boots, which is closer to a 11.5, and i havent had my heel catch the floor yet, so it works.

As for quicker shifts, im sure anyone whos driven a standard car is aware the pedal doesnt have to be engaged fully to shift.

Both should work, its just down to preference. and which is better? Well better is an opinion so it depends on what you want.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:51 PM

Car: 87 Camaro
Engine: 406
Axle/Gears: 9" ford 35 spline axles

When I did mine the first time with 3rd gen pedals it made the clutch fork grind against the pressure plate when pushed all the way in...
Old 02-14-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 350ci L98
Transmission: T56 - Hurst Shifter
Axle/Gears: BW - 3.70

Right, because the 3rd gen set disengages the clutch further causing the fork to grind on the clutch I believe. I just modified the clutch pedal stop to prevent the pedal from being depressed to far.

Another nice thing about the 4th gen set is the brake pedal is skinnier which might be nice if you have wide feet. Of course, the third gen set could be modified to match.