Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

1 qt. Type F fluid mistake in 700R4.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 qt. Type F fluid mistake in 700R4.

Oopps. I have a 91 Trans Am GTA, 350 engine w/ the 700R4 automatic transmission, 140k. I recently installed a new engine, and lost almost 4 qts. of transmission fluid in the process. (I initially removed the driveshaft, to remove the transmission w/ the engine, but changed my mind). Anyway, while adding transmission fluid today, w/ the engine running, I accidentally added 1 qt. of Type F transmission fluid, along with 1 qt. of synthetic ATF, and 1 qt. of regular ATF. Didn't think about incompatibility until I was at the parts store getting one more quart! Should I drain everything, installing a new trannie filter, pan gasket and the right fluid, or can I get away w/ this mix? I haven't ever driven the car, and need some opinions before I even start it again.

I've never changed the fluid or filter in an automatic transmission, but I've had to add fluid in a manual, and it has always been quite a mess - have taken a bath in fluid and it's not fun! But I'll do what I should, if it's necessary. I don't know the status or history of the transmission 'cause I just got the car. I assume it works, but don't know that as a fact, and couldn't detect any change w/ the mix of fluid I've put in, if there was any. Also, the old transmission fluid didn't smell burnt, but given the abuse and neglect of the car by the prior owner, that's surprising. Please differentiate between opinions, facts and guesses in your posts. thanks!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28 Hardtop
Engine: 383 Carb
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44
Re: 1 qt. Type F fluid mistake in 700R4.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:29 PM

Nothing to worry about it will be fine.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 R/S , 89 dodge p/u
Engine: L31 GM crate re-cammed , 318
Transmission: T-5 , 4 speed auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 , ?

your o.k. , many ford truck owners that do a lot of towing use g.m. fluid . it has a higher boiling point . since you don't know about the tranny , i would say change fluid and filter at first oil change . check fluid and filter close and then , a couple of oil changes later do it again . any trash or metal is not a good thing .
Old 09-27-2007, 09:20 PM

Facts : You will be fine as the only difference between type f and dex III is that Fords have an additive in the type f fluid to make the clutches catch because it wasn't made into the clutchs. GM actually made there clucthes to catch by putting the stuff into the cluthes themselves.
Opinion: Synthetic and regular do not mix with oil but I am nit sure with tranny fuid. The type F may actually help you as your clutches may catch better.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:13 PM

Thanks guys. Your various responses let me sleep a little better tonight, (knowing it probably wouldn't do immediate serious damage), and yet, that I should probably change the fluid and filter when it's convienent for me, (since I don't know the history and it's probably overdo anyway). I don't know what I was thinking when I added it. Guess I wanted to get some fluid in there quick since it was so low, and only focused on making sure that it was transmission fluid, and not motor oil.

FYI - The auto parts stranger thought Type F fluid may foam in a car that uses ATF / Mercon / Dexron, but didn't have an opinion on whether 1 quart would be a problem.

-There's a lot of transmission myths - guess since they can be complicated and most people don't know a lot about them? One I've heard is that changing your transmission fluid can "shock" the gaskets and actually cause it to leak. I don't know if I believe that, but...

- In my manual shift Ford Ranger truck, I had to put in a new flywheel, so while I had the transmission out, I took it to the carwash, degreased it, drained the fluid, and put in a synthetic ATF transmission fluid. (Yes, they came with one of 2 manual transmissions, and the manufacturer reccomended ATF in my model. We checked this out thoroughly). I never noticed any leaks, but it must have while running only, because 1 year later, it ran so low that it started grinding and whining. That was the end of that truck (though I broke even due to a small crash that was the other guys fault, that "totalled" the perfectly fine truck). Coincidence?