Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

?s about TV plunger spring (Green vs. Red)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: 408
Transmission: 700-r4
?s about TV plunger spring (Green vs. Red)

I have a question about the TV plunger spring. When I first swapped the 700-r4 to my Monte Carlo SS I had the computer controlled Q-jet. I had done some research and I remember reading the TV plunger spring GM used was different in carb applications vs. TPI. So I purchased a green spring from GM. I recently swapped a stealthram onto my engine and after the engine was running decent I decided to drop the pan to change the 4th gear switch and let the ECM now control the TC lock up. At the same time I decided I would change the TV plunger spring. I bought a longer spring that said it will correct a weak or worn spring. (The only reason I did this was because before the stealthram swap my shifts were quite firm and after the stealthram they seem to soften up. So I was hoping this wasn't because of not enough line pressure due to a different TV signal from a TPI throttle body vs. a Q-jet.) I just had a chance to drive the car last night and the part throttle upshifts were really late. I did change 1 weight and spring on the governor as well. But I just went 1 step lighter on 1 spring and used the #1 weight from the B&M calibration kit. I think what is happening is the new TV spring is causing too much line pressure so the upshifts are late. So I am going to drop the pan to change the TV plunger spring. I have the green spring that was in there before or I have a red spring that came with the transgo shift kit. Which one should I install? The red spring is a bit shorter then the green spring. Would that cause a problem or will the cable correct for that 1/8-3/16th of an inch? That's why I didn't install the red spring when I installed the trans-go kit in the first place because it was shorter then the green spring. I believe when I did the valvebody mods before swapping the trans in my car the TV plunger spring was white (trans was from a 92Z28 5.7L TPI).
Old 08-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Supreme Member

Axle/Gears: '01 3.42 10 bolt
Re: ?s about TV plunger spring (Green vs. Red)

did you change tv cables when you went from carb to the tpi set-up? they are different. the transgo kit says to use the longer spring if it is longer than the red one.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:51 PM

Car: 84 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: 408
Transmission: 700-r4
Re: ?s about TV plunger spring (Green vs. Red)

Yes, I did replace the cable. There is no way the other one would have worked. I did find what I think was the problem. I took a look at the governor and noticed the cover was cocked to one side. So I popped it off and one of the e-clips had come off the post on the side I changed the weight and spring. So basically the governor wasn't working. Luckily I had a spare clip. Hopefully the other one made it in the filter or stuck to the pan magnet. Hopefully I can test drive tomorrow. I see how it shifts with a working governor before I worry about changing the TV spring.