Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

car won't go 'backwards' - need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: GMPP 350 HO w/TBI
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt w/3.73s
car won't go 'backwards' - need help!

i put in a new rear end, as well as a bunch of other things over the past couple years. everything is finally pretty much done. i went to roll it out of the garage today, and it won't go backwards (note that i literally mean "backwards" - the car isnt really ready to be driven yet, so i am putting it in neutral and pushing it)

the car will roll forward without any problems, but when i try to push it in reverse, it will only go a few inches before it "bounces" forward - as if it had a wheen chocked. this just happened a little while ago, so i haven't had time yet to dig into this.

this may be important: i dont know (yet) how FAR it will roll forward - i just know it will go a couple feet. it may stop after that. i ran out of garage space before it got to that point.

and, one more thing: i started the car and put it in reverse, and when i put it in reverse, it did the same thing (the bounce). but, when i tapped the gas lightly, it did "break free" and move backwards a few more inches. then it stopped again.

any ideas? any suggestions? need more info? fire away - i just have to get this figured out! thanks,

brian
Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 PM

Re: car won't go 'backwards' - need help!

It could be a trans problem but Im thinking brakes to be honest. Try this do not start car place in nuetral and push back if it stops its not likley a trans issue . Another posibility is the slide pin came out of the differential .
Old 07-23-2007, 02:40 AM

I too think it maybe be your brakes. If you don't drive your car for a very long time sometimes the pads will stick to the rotors. You can try spraying some brake cleaner or just removing the calipers and seeing if the pads are stuck. My car did that once but I started the car without even thinking. All I heard was a loud pop and I looked around wondering what the noise was then I noticed the rear rotor had the pad imprints on them because the e-brake had been engaged for so long.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: GMPP 350 HO w/TBI
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt w/3.73s

thanks for the suggestions guys, but it was actualy something pretty easy to fix. i have a Spohn torque arm, and i put the bolts in backwards that held the torque arm to the rear bracket. the pinion yoke was hitting the nut. i reversed them so that the head of the bolt is on that side (about hald the height of the nut), and all is well in the world. i should have cought that during re-assembly, but i missed it. oh well.

thanks again,

-brian
Old 07-23-2007, 11:17 AM

Wow it's a good thing you rolled your car out instead of starting it. I would have probably tried to drive it out and more than likely broken something.
Originally Posted by Z28 Boy
thanks for the suggestions guys, but it was actualy something pretty easy to fix. i have a Spohn torque arm, and i put the bolts in backwards that held the torque arm to the rear bracket. the pinion yoke was hitting the nut. i reversed them so that the head of the bolt is on that side (about hald the height of the nut), and all is well in the world. i should have cought that during re-assembly, but i missed it. oh well.

thanks again,

-brian