Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T-56...reverse...strange problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1990 IROC-Z (De-Badged-Carbon Hood)
Engine: Superram 383
Transmission: T-56 w/upgraded Viper Internals
Axle/Gears: 3.73 18x8 and 18x11 irocs
T-56...reverse...strange problem!

Hi guys,
This past weekend, I removed the reverse lockout solenoid because I was tired of always forcing the shifter into reverse. After I removed it, I noticed that the car no longer wants to go into reverse!
With the car off, the shifter moves into reverse perfectly, but with the car on, it will not engage into reverse!
Not sure if it is a bad synchro or if just the shifter needs to be adjusted.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Tommy
Old 04-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Supreme Member

Re: T-56...reverse...strange problem!

Anyone?
Old 04-04-2007, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 350ci L98
Transmission: T56 - Hurst Shifter
Axle/Gears: BW - 3.70

Sounds like a bad syncro. You shouldn't have to adjust anything on the shifter. My hurst has two shifter stops. One for 1,3,5,R and another for 2,4,6. If it goes into 1,3,5 okay then that shouldn't be the problem. If you shut the car off and put it into reverse can you then start the car and use reverse? If so that sounds like a syncro problem. Try this, with the car running but not moving, shift into 5 and then quickly try to shift from 5th to reverse. It should let you do this, if not then there may be a problem other than the sycro.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by vbMike
Sounds like a bad syncro. You shouldn't have to adjust anything on the shifter. My hurst has two shifter stops. One for 1,3,5,R and another for 2,4,6. If it goes into 1,3,5 okay then that shouldn't be the problem. If you shut the car off and put it into reverse can you then start the car and use reverse? If so that sounds like a syncro problem. Try this, with the car running but not moving, shift into 5 and then quickly try to shift from 5th to reverse. It should let you do this, if not then there may be a problem other than the sycro.
Thansk for the reply! Yes, when the car is turned off, I can put it into reverse and then start it back up and use reverse again.
When the car is on, I did try to shift into 5th and then into revervse...it won't let me...yikes!
I have visions of $$$$ going to the tranny shop :-(

Damnit!
Old 04-04-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 350ci L98
Transmission: T56 - Hurst Shifter
Axle/Gears: BW - 3.70

Yea that's weird. If the car is stopped and you shift into 5th this should syncronize they gears and allow you to shift into reverse even if it has a bad syncro. Unless I'm not thinking about this right. You may have some other kind of problem. When happens when you try to shift into reverse with the engine running? Does it grind or what?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by vbMike
Yea that's weird. If the car is stopped and you shift into 5th this should syncronize they gears and allow you to shift into reverse even if it has a bad syncro. Unless I'm not thinking about this right. You may have some other kind of problem. When happens when you try to shift into reverse with the engine running? Does it grind or what?
When the car is running, It doesn't engage into reverse. If i hold it in that position, the car starts to back up slowly, but yet, the shifter is nt fully engaged in reverse....I am really stumped!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Pair of 92 Z28s

How about, put the lockout back in and wire up a switch to it so you dont have to force it in and see if it works. I for awhile had it the same as you that got old real quick. So then i said hey ill just take out the solenoid...ya big mistake too, its super easy to throw it in reverse that way when shifting 4-5. Hooked up the solenoid to a switch. Now its super easy to get in reverse but im pretty sure my syncro is gone too. I have to listen for a "click" then its in reverse. If i dont keep pressure on mine it pops out and grinds. I cant afford a tranny rebuild either so i live with it. Only happens sometimes. Only use reverse sometimes.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Stevo
How about, put the lockout back in and wire up a switch to it so you dont have to force it in and see if it works. I for awhile had it the same as you that got old real quick. So then i said hey ill just take out the solenoid...ya big mistake too, its super easy to throw it in reverse that way when shifting 4-5. Hooked up the solenoid to a switch. Now its super easy to get in reverse but im pretty sure my syncro is gone too. I have to listen for a "click" then its in reverse. If i dont keep pressure on mine it pops out and grinds. I cant afford a tranny rebuild either so i live with it. Only happens sometimes. Only use reverse sometimes.
Well...I kinda cut off a section of the lockout solenoid so that it would never engage. I did try putting it back in, but the car is the same. I have tried everyting I could think of so far. I guess the next issue is to take her into a tranny shop and spend more $$$$

It's crazy man...just this last project of engine and tranny swap cost me about $12k so far....and I am stil not finished yet (need paint, widen rear wheels, new tires). At some point I think I am gonna say "*** it" and go buy myself a CTS-V and trash the thirdgen!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Originally Posted by Mr. IROC-Z
Well...I kinda cut off a section of the lockout solenoid so that it would never engage. I did try putting it back in, but the car is the same. I have tried everyting I could think of so far. I guess the next issue is to take her into a tranny shop and spend more $$$$

It's crazy man...just this last project of engine and tranny swap cost me about $12k so far....and I am stil not finished yet (need paint, widen rear wheels, new tires). At some point I think I am gonna say "*** it" and go buy myself a CTS-V and trash the thirdgen!
CTS-V will cost a lot more than the 3rd gen of your dreams, and it will never be a classic.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a search for "T56 reverse problem". I can't remember the member's screen name, but one of the guys on here had the same problem. Apparently, it's quite common with the T56. He put up a post several months ago with lots of pics and a good explanation of how to fix the problem, and it looked pretty straight forward. In other words, you should be able to fix it yourself without having to pay a tranny shop a lot of money. It involves shimming the reverse shift fork IIRC. You only have to remove the tailshaft housing to do the fix. The guy said his has worked like a charm ever since.

Last edited by Pat Hall; 04-05-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never mind the search. I just found the post. Here's a link. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tran...6-reverse.html