Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

tv cable sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 RS
Engine: 305 carb
Transmission: 700r4 with transgo shift kit
Axle/Gears: ?? not sure yet just got the car
tv cable sticking?

Ok this problem is about to drive me crazy... I have a 305 with a edel 1406 and 700r4... i changed my tv cable cuz my old one was bent to hell and the teeth were ground off for the extension part... i replaced it and ever since my trans kicks real hard when u put it into gear and wont shift into 2nd till about 20 mph... funny thing is if u unhook it comnpletely rom the bracket... it does the same thing... ive tried all different settings when its hooked up by pushing in the D shaped button and moving it back and fourth... needless to say it wont change... well one day it just started working fine so i didnt touch it... well i ordered the sonnax correction spring to see how that worked and now since ive touched it it does the same thing it was doing... question is could my tv valve be sticking or what should i do??? if thats the case is it something i can fix or do i need to take it to a trans shop... sorry for the long post but this is about to drive me nuts! thank you for reading
Old 03-31-2007, 08:42 AM

Car: 88 TA
Engine: 383
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 2.77
Re: tv cable sticking?

Sorry if Im capt. obvious here, but by "all different settings", did you try the basic one which is the depress the D-shape button, slide back the cable and depress the thottle 'pedal' to floor? Dont rely on using your hand on throttle blades to adjust to wot.

Have an assistant check that inside of cable is actually extending/clicking outward while adjusting(depressing pedal).

Unhook throttle end of tv cable and tug on wire.. does it trvael smoothly and have a spring tension on it? If it returns smoothly and u feel consistent tension, it's not likely your valve is stuck.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 383 HSR
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

This is an easy fix. Disconnect the cable. Slowly pull it until it maxes out 5 times, then pull it fast 5 times.

Connect the cable, push the slide all the way towards the firewall while pushing the D button. Then close the hood and push down on the accelerator.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:16 PM

well thats kind of another problem... I cant adjust it the way its supposed to be done by pushing it towards the firewall and pushing the throttle to WOT. It doesnt click out like it should. So i have to adjust it by hand. But the funny thing is that if the cable isnt even hooked to the bracket and the carb then it still jerks as if it was too tight... and nelapse, to ure respone i usually have to do that to get it too work but it doesnt really help at all... its like it just magically starts working again. so if i do have to unstick the tv valve how would i go about doing this??? any suggestions would be great

Last edited by Dainius; 03-31-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:04 PM
Supreme Member

Well if you cannot unstick the TV valve by the way I described. Then you will have to drop the transmission pan, and fiddle with the TV plunger on the valve body. It will take you longer to remove and reinstall the pan than it will take you to fix the plunger.

The plunger has a roll pin facing down. Remove it with a scribe, pull the plunger out and look for scratches, scouring, etc. Lube it up very good with some tranny fluid, or lucas transmission fix will lube it up nice. Then put it back together.

A transgo shift kit, will help solve this problem permanantly with some components it has.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:35 AM

yea i was looking at the transgo shift kit form probuilt that comes with the vette servo, .500 vlalve and the kit... it was $157 i think... would his be a good idea? also do u think it would fix my downshift problem?? when i punch it it wont downshift so i cant really take off from a rolling start... nothing like my old iroc had!! anyways i figured it was a good idea to buy this kit... any suggestions on something better or what else I would need to install?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2000 BMW M5

nelapse, I am having the EXACT same problem with an older high mileage 700R4 that otherwise drives excellent. Occasionally after some full throttle blasts the TV gets stuck in WOT mode and the shifts come late and hard (unlike other things in life, late and hard is a bad thing here, LOL). Anyhow, if I disconnect the TV from the carb and pull the cable to the max travel by hand, really hard and repeat, and reconnect, the problem will clear up until I start going to WOT driving around, then it gets stuck again. Like this other guy, it is not the cable that's the problem, it is internal to the trans. Unlike the other guy, my trans does downshift properly when you step on it. Sounds like the same problem?

Thanks

Steve
Old 04-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Dainius
yea i was looking at the transgo shift kit form probuilt that comes with the vette servo, .500 vlalve and the kit... it was $157 i think... would his be a good idea? also do u think it would fix my downshift problem?? when i punch it it wont downshift so i cant really take off from a rolling start... nothing like my old iroc had!! anyways i figured it was a good idea to buy this kit... any suggestions on something better or what else I would need to install?
Summit sells the transgo kit for $140 You cannot downshift due to your TV cable or Throttle valve. The transgo kit from a scale of 1-10 in difficulty is a 5 reason being I doubt you have a lift like I do so it sucks. You can do it easily but it is time consuming and will not only fix your part throttles, you will have time to readjust your TV. The reason I suggest this is because the kit requires you to put in a rectangular aluminum spacer that aids in keeping the TV from getting stuck.

One other way you can adjust your TV cable that sometimes works better is have someone push the accelerator down, then you will push in the D button and use needle nose pliers to push in the sleeve as tight as you can. then release the D button and you will be set. In my experiance I have had it not adjust right with the one person push in and WOT deal. It was like it was in between clicks or something. So give that a try.

Originally Posted by 327_TPI_77_Maro
nelapse, I am having the EXACT same problem with an older high mileage 700R4 that otherwise drives excellent. Occasionally after some full throttle blasts the TV gets stuck in WOT mode and the shifts come late and hard (unlike other things in life, late and hard is a bad thing here, LOL). Anyhow, if I disconnect the TV from the carb and pull the cable to the max travel by hand, really hard and repeat, and reconnect, the problem will clear up until I start going to WOT driving around, then it gets stuck again. Like this other guy, it is not the cable that's the problem, it is internal to the trans. Unlike the other guy, my trans does downshift properly when you step on it. Sounds like the same problem?

Thanks

Steve
You will probably have to pull the TV sleeve out. It will not take long. In fact I believe TCI or B&M makes a replacement Sleeve with the proper Shims that will help you hold gears longer as well. It is pretty cheap.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:20 PM

thanks nelapse... i do have a lift so it should be easier than im thinking.. i talked to dana at probuilt today and he gave me some good advice like u did so i think im gonna do the street\strip kist and vette servo with that boost valve and see how that goes... thanks for ure help and ill try that with the needlenose and see how it works... ill keep yall posted
Old 04-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Supreme Member

Right on, listen to Dana he really knows his crap. When it comes to transmissions he has probably forgot more than I will ever know.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by nelapse
This is an easy fix. Disconnect the cable. Slowly pull it until it maxes out 5 times, then pull it fast 5 times.

Connect the cable, push the slide all the way towards the firewall while pushing the D button. Then close the hood and push down on the accelerator.

I'm having this issue. Hard shift to second at 32 mph. Then into 3rd at 60. Very frustrating. Do I do this with the engine running or off?

thanks
Old 05-31-2024, 09:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Off

Make sure the pedal fully opens the throttles. If it doesn't, the setting (it's not really an "adjustment") won't be right.