Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

TV Geometry corrector for carb swaps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Z28 Camaro Gunmetal Gray with
Engine: GM Crate ZZZ HO 350, Edelbrock head
Transmission: Rebuilt 700r4 all TransGo and Beast
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt with 3.73 gears
TV Geometry corrector for carb swaps?

Is this thing really that important? i have heard that it isnt really necessary. but all the websites say you need it. well, do you, and why? im having all kinds of weird trans problems (just had it rebuilt too) so im getting the geometry corrector, the spring for the end of the TV cable (goes by the carb) and a corvette governor. my upshifts at wot are at like 3500 rpms, so i think the builder put a diesel governor in it by accident. i might take it to him, but well see. all other shifts are fine cept wot is so early. and also it almost never downshifts, but it does sometimes, when i put the pedal way down. and usually only will downshift from 2nd to first and nowhere else. would this also be a governor problem? i dont wanna take it to the guy and have him say that i messed it up (its been months now). i guess well see, what do you guys think?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI w/ l98 cam
Transmission: T5 5-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45 posi disc 9 bolt
Originally Posted by ZZ4 86 Z28
Is this thing really that important? i have heard that it isnt really necessary. but all the websites say you need it. well, do you, and why? im having all kinds of weird trans problems (just had it rebuilt too) so im getting the geometry corrector, the spring for the end of the TV cable (goes by the carb) and a corvette governor. my upshifts at wot are at like 3500 rpms, so i think the builder put a diesel governor in it by accident. i might take it to him, but well see. all other shifts are fine cept wot is so early. and also it almost never downshifts, but it does sometimes, when i put the pedal way down. and usually only will downshift from 2nd to first and nowhere else. would this also be a governor problem? i dont wanna take it to the guy and have him say that i messed it up (its been months now). i guess well see, what do you guys think?
if you dont have those brackets on the carb for the 700r4 then that is why your shift points are at 3500 that cable has to be adjusted and you have to have the brackets to adjust them correctly, i wouldnt doubt if you've blown your tranny up already.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
i have heard that it isnt really necessary
Just hearing what you want to hear aomeplace, doesn't make it so.

The TV geometry is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL. That's the only way the transmisssion has of knowing how much power the driver is demanding from the engine. If it is not right, it almost always results in a destroyed transmission. It needs to be set up so that the throttle pulls it ALL THE WAY through its range, and such that its "curve" is right; i.e., it doesn't pull it out REAL SLOW at the start of throttle movement near idle and then REAL FAST as it nears WOT, or vice-versa.

All of that other stuff is worthless if the cable isn't correctly telling the transmission about what's going on in the world around it.

Go here for the facts. http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

Last edited by sofakingdom; 03-20-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Z28 Camaro Gunmetal Gray with
Engine: GM Crate ZZZ HO 350, Edelbrock head
Transmission: Rebuilt 700r4 all TransGo and Beast
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt with 3.73 gears
Re: TV Geometry corrector for carb swaps?

i dunno if were all talkin about the same bracket here, cause i tried one out and it didnt do anything before.

i had one and it didnt do anything, so i took it off for a little to see if it was fine anyways, and my friend left it under my hood...it flew out on the highway. im not talkin about the main bracket that holds the cable in place, just this one that corrects the geometry. it didnt seem to change the cables path at all when we had it on though.