Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

megashifter console shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 trans am
Engine: 350 TPI bored .040 over
Transmission: modified 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock spline, 3.73 Eaton posi
megashifter console shifter

ok all that have installed this shifter:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

i never knew what the second cable was under the console, which is on the right side. in the b&m directions, it says that this is the park lock cable. in step 4 it talks about how to set it up . i really didnt understand the directions, but my old shifter is already out and i put my key in and it turned and i could move the steering wheel, then i turned the key and it came out and i could lock my steering wheel, which is says that you have to make sure it is wired in the park position? has anyone had trouble with your key not coming out or the steering wheel not locking, even though i dont understand it, some how i must have did it right since it will lock and the key will come out.

http://static.summitracing.com/globa.../bmm-80692.pdf
Old 03-03-2007, 03:00 PM

Car: 90 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
ya i think you did that right
did your shifter move freely once the shifter cable is hooked up but the motor isnt running, because mine doesnt and i'm not sure what i did wrong
Old 03-03-2007, 03:37 PM

well it allows me to move the shifter, but the cable isnt hooked up to the new bratchet that goes on the tranny that makes the shift. i am in the stage to make sure it is sitting in the console right then i will start the adjustments with the two big nuts. yeah you may have set it up for neutral, or as i like to call it, maybe the upstairs and downstairs parts arent in sync with each other
Old 03-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
i installed one like a year ago....it was a pain in the ***!!!!
i had some issues too with the installation, first the whole loosing of that one cable...its been a while but i kno it controls being able to shift without the key in the ignition....by not using the cable i can shift without the key in the ignition lol not good bc that makes the car easier to steal or for ur friends to move it on u. also i had wiring problems as well, B&M asks fo a relay from radio shack thats rated for i believe 10amps....yea i installed that and i fried it twice, which sucks bc that controls the electrical and i couldnt start my car so i was stranded, i ended up using a heavy duty 20amp relay from a remote starter that i had. then i had issues with the cable getting the right loop to sit ontop of the trans (some reason they ask to loop it a certain way) but ive never had a problem with key not coming out, i still get the steering wheel to lock bc that has nothing to do with the shifter, but i kno i also had problems with the neutral switch, so i can start the car in any gear as well lol that makes it interesting! lol all in all it was a pain and my car is imposible to understand unless u kno all the lil shortcuts. be careful trimming the plastic consol bc it becomes a goopy mess and not to make it to thin bc it will crack.

but once its done its sooo much fun to shift through the gears, its like ur at the strip all the time and makes it loads of fun, u never miss a gear and it just looks bad ***!!
Old 03-04-2007, 08:10 PM

so you dont think that this relay will work, and i understand a little electrical jargen by the dpdt meaning double pole double throw, in the diagram it looks like it should have six areas to connect, but the picture only looks like 5, maybe just cant see the other one. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rt&tab=summary

could you tell me what wires you hooked to each pole or throw, and did the typical pin numbers that were on the directions the actual pins on the relay.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:35 PM

ok now i am confused. i have the shifter in and did all the adjustments with the swivel pin and have it adjusted right. now i went to go and try and shift it out of park and it didnt move which is what should happen, then i put my key in and turned it to run and the shifter still wont come out off park. could it be that my battery isnt connected up since im an doing the fuel system on my car at the same time and i dont have the reverse light and the park/neutral shiftes wired up yet, could this be why? please help
Old 03-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

wow wat happened to your install lol. u got alot goin on. lets see wat i can help u wit now....yea that looked like the relay and it is a piece of crap, 10$ a peice and i fried them both and they left me stranded....i wouldnt use them if u want reliability.i cant tell you how they hooked up its been over a year and since i didnt use the relay mine were all diff. wheni did have the radio shack relays in there the wires were all over the place, i believe there were 6 points tho and alot of them where run right off the neutral and backup switches. i wouldnt use the relay, i would try and get something over 10amps, mine i believe is 20amps, when the radio **** shack relay fried it shorted the indicator cable that shows wat gear your in and it melted the inside steel cable to the surrounding plastic sheid and ruined the whole peice and froze it so i have no indicator. also there was smoke so beware of fire.

now with the shifter....when u had it outa the car did u set the shifter up correctly....you have to take out certain pins and add those clip things to set the shifter correctly, the instructions tell you wat to do as far as the setups go for a 4 speed since they are set up for a 3 speed outa the box. as far as it not coming outa the Park position it seems as if there is something wrong with your cable...i would disconnect the cable (if you connected the right one) and manually just test the shifter to see if it will shift outa park, once that works reattach the cable to the shifter but not down at the trans and see if it will shift, if it doesnt then its ur cable, if it does shift then it could be the linkage, if you have the key in the on position the shifter lock should be dissabled and the shifter should shift, the batt has nothing to do with it since the shifter and locking mechanism are all mechanical. with out the batt your should still be able to turn the key to the on positon and move the shifter outa park. what u could do is try and bypass the key lock feature like i did. just realize like mine that i can shift outa park with out the key in the ignition etc. the only things that seem to be stopping the shifter is the shifter is frozen, the cable is frozen and wont allow the shifter to shift or its your lock up from the key. i say just bypass it, u dont need it anyway, only an idiot turns the car off in gear and would have to worry about that. if the batt isnt connected and your backup/neutral switches wont work obviously but the shifter still should shift outa park, its something mechanical, i would start from the begging and just weed it out.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:00 AM

well it says that if you set the park lock cable right it should be (fully in) and mine is. my key gets inserted it unlocks the column and when i take the key out it locks back. the shifter shifts fine when it isnt hooked up to the tranny, but when it is connected back up, no movement. the cable should be pretty straight shouldnt it, mine move upward pretty sharp when it is in park.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

the park brake doesnt affect the steering column when it locks up, thats the wheel lock with the key, i still have that but no park lock. the park lock cable only allows the tranny to be shifted in park and then when the key is turned off or taken out it locks the shifter in park, so when the key is off or out u wont be able to shift the car outa park, thats what i got rid off, i think i had aprob with it to, thats what i meant when i said that the shifter can be shifted out of gear when my keys out...making it easier to steal. the cable should not be straight thats also a problem i had with the B&M cable, it must of took me 1/2 hr just to get the cable in the right direction and loop over the trans... i remember this welllll. the cable is suppose to loop gently over the top of the trans and then be roughted on the side to where all the linkage is. that could be one of ur problems. thats what it told me to do in the instructions and mine worked perfectly the first time. now that u kno its not ur shifter then it has to be the cable or the trans, can u shift the trans manually with ur fingers? with out the cable attached? and i would just disconnect the park lock, u really dont need it bc the steering wheel will lock anyway and u wont be able to start the car in gear unless u get rid of the neutral switch and relays. also makes it easier to roll forward in anyother parking spot.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 PM

I dont mean that the cable should be straight, mine is routed just like the picture. I mean where the big nuts are to where it connects to the gear selector bracket. Mine bends upward pretty bad, i think it might be bc of my pan being so thick. When it isnt connected to the tranny the shifter shifts fine. Yes the tranny will shift manually by me moving the gear selector bracket. If all else fails how do i dissable the park lock to see it works then
Old 03-07-2007, 03:01 PM

i just installed mine and the car wont start so obviously the wiring is wrong. anyone know which wires are the ones that NEED to be right for the car to start?
Old 03-08-2007, 03:03 PM

anyone with a firebird that did the megashifter, where do i place the template at, it says to put the stock screws over the holes marked "b". i dont have any screw mounting holes that are that far apart
Old 03-10-2007, 01:12 PM

ok so no one knows anything about the wiring?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:29 PM

wiring

ok i was thinking, because everybody has been having problems with the relays blowing and i cant find a six pole relay anywhere with the right amps rating i need, couldnt you just do this. take the stock connector with the six wires that is plugged into the neutral saftey assembly, and unbolt the assembly from the stock shifter. the big 10 gauge wires will still be wired up to the connector and you will cut the other 4 18 gauge wires and connected them up to the b&m switches respectly to the appropriate ones and then from there branch off those back to the stock connector again so the 2 10 gauge wires can get a reference signal from the b&m switches, so you should possibly be able to eliminate the need for a relay. diagram may explain better.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
b&m wiring.doc (36.5 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by thirdgenlover; 03-10-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Supreme Member

Axle/Gears: '01 3.42 10 bolt
Originally Posted by bfox88
ok so no one knows anything about the wiring?

you may not have the wiring wrong. you might have to adjust the neutral switch.

Originally Posted by thirdgenlover
ok i was thinking, because everybody has been having problems with the relays blowing and i cant find a six pole relay anywhere with the right amps rating i need, couldnt you just do this. take the stock connector with the six wires that is plugged into the neutral saftey assembly, and unbolt the assembly from the stock shifter. the big 10 gauge wires will still be wired up to the connector and you will cut the other 4 18 gauge wires and connected them up to the b&m switches respectly to the appropriate ones and then from there branch off those back to the stock connector again so the 2 10 gauge wires can get a reference signal from the b&m switches, so you should possibly be able to eliminate the need for a relay. diagram may explain better.

to be honest, i would just concern myself with the 4 wires for nuetral and backup. i did. my tc still locks-up when it should and i don't stall when i put the tranny in gear. your idea might work but i got rid of the switch because i was worried about te switch going bad. i'll take a look tomorrow to see exactly what i did with all the wires.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:51 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: TBI 350 - Approx 300hp
Transmission: 700R4 (Soon to be Built)
Axle/Gears: 3.73's & Eaton Posi
Megashifter

After reading all of what you guys have wrote, i am having second thoughts of buying/installing this thing. i am not so much worried about me installing it buy more about mealting wire and hooking all the cables up so it all works in the end. It sounds like everyone who has got this thing has had serious problems putting it in. Did anybody get this thing in right the first time and if so how long did it take you or anyone for that matter???
Old 03-11-2007, 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=87zjeff;3258569]you may not have the wiring wrong. you might have to adjust the neutral switch.

explain please?
Old 03-11-2007, 01:44 PM

i dont know how those wires do it but they do. i need to look through my schmatic and look to see where they go. if you go outside and start any automatic up, maybe dont do it to yours 87zjeff bc yours is modified, but if your parents have an auto, go and start it up and look at the rpms in park, then shift to reverse and notice the rpm drop, then shift to neutral and notice how the rpms increase again and then shift to overdrive if they have it or drive and notice how the rpms drop again. especially during winter, this feature would be critically during warm up.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:08 PM

i understand that, but he said to adjust the switch, and i dont quite get what he means. i heard there was a way to bypass all this by just connecting the blue and brown wires. anyone know anything about that?
Old 03-11-2007, 10:44 PM

you take the screws loose and you can slide them around so then contact the little rises on the side of the shifter. do you have a relay you are using bfox88?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Supreme Member

Axle/Gears: '01 3.42 10 bolt
Originally Posted by thirdgenlover
i dont know how those wires do it but they do. i need to look through my schmatic and look to see where they go. if you go outside and start any automatic up, maybe dont do it to yours 87zjeff bc yours is modified, but if your parents have an auto, go and start it up and look at the rpms in park, then shift to reverse and notice the rpm drop, then shift to neutral and notice how the rpms increase again and then shift to overdrive if they have it or drive and notice how the rpms drop again. especially during winter, this feature would be critically during warm up.

34 years old.....don't live at home to check my parents car but i know what you are talking about. i forgot to check how i wired it this weekend but i think i may have put the idle control wires with the park/neutral switch as well. i got rid of the relay noit just because of reliability(or lack thereof) but also to unclutter the area.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:06 PM

ya i'm running the relay.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:43 AM

sorry 87zjeff, no offense, just didnt know. just trying to get my point across.

bfox88, did you get it to start, and what kind of relay are you using, its not the one b&m recommened is it. If not,where did you get it, i have tried everywhere to find one but cant find one any higher then a 10 amp rating

Last edited by thirdgenlover; 03-14-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:24 AM

forget it, talked to one of my past teachers about the relay issue, im just going to run two relays, much easier than trying to find a relay with six poles and the right amp rating.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:23 AM

ya its the one b&m recommends. call radioshacks and give them the part number. they will find it for you
Old 03-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 1SICIROC.....1999 TransAm
Engine: 385 HSR.....LS1
Transmission: 700R4 with Midwest 3400 2.4str...M6
Axle/Gears: SLP Zexel Posi unit 3.42's...3.73's
do a search for threads started by me.......with keywords "Megashifter"...Im prety sure Ive been thru this and have pictures.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:18 AM

didnt see any that were started by you Wishmaster's87IROC. i am not going to use it, i will make it work with using two. bfox88, i wouldnt use that relay from radio shack, they blow from what i have heard from everyone else.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:37 AM

ya i came to the conclusion that either the relay isnt working or i messed up when i split the blue wire, so i'm just going to try to wire the blue wire straight to the relay and bypass the switch to determine what the problem is....once the poison ivy clears up from my eyes
Old 03-20-2007, 09:37 PM

Re: megashifter console shifter

were you able to get back at it yet bfox88? Do you have it figured out yet, got mine adjusted and tested and everything is good my method of using two relays and the diagram i came up with worked great.

Last edited by thirdgenlover; 03-20-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:40 AM

just took a look at the wiring again and i cant get the relay to click on no matter what i do so i'm thinking that its a bad relay. i'm tired of this stupid b/s and just want it wired and over with.

could anyone give me any alternative options to using this relay?

thirdgen lover- could you get some pics of what you did with the wiring and relays and part numbers on the relays you used?

thanks guys, i'm trying to have this done tomorrow so i'll have the car for the weekend.

Last edited by bfox88; 03-22-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:10 PM

bump
Old 03-23-2007, 04:22 PM

sorry i dont think i can do pictures, i have a camcorder put it will only take pictures if the usb cable is hooked up to my computer, it doesnt have a memory stick to take one and then hook it up to my computer

Last edited by thirdgenlover; 03-25-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:20 PM

its cool, im just going to take the relay to radio shack and either get a new one or have them give me an alternative...i'll let you know how it goes
Old 03-26-2007, 01:33 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

i got it right the first time just that the peice of crap radio shack relays kept blowin on me, dont use them, u might as well just wire it without a relay or go with dual relays if u cant find any relays higher than a 10amp. i smoked 2 of the radioshack relays and i got stuck on the road bc of them, i found a 20amp and have had no probs with it since. good job thirdgenlover, sry i wasnt able to get back to u i just did major upgrades to mine as well, looks like u got it all figured out tho
Old 03-30-2007, 01:21 PM

it was a dead fuse...
Old 10-25-2010, 04:50 PM

Car: I have a 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Stock automatic 700r4
Axle/Gears: I have 3.73 Gears with a Eaton posi