Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

harder shifting 700r4

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
harder shifting 700r4

had my trans rebuit roughly 20,000 ago, car has 130,000 original miles 87 formula 350tpi, modded engine with stock long block.

added kevlar bands,axtra friction plates in 4th gear i believe 7, B&M kickdown valve, new rebuilt valve body bc old was destroyed when the torque converter exploded the first time, slightly higher stall heavy duty torque converter, 13 vein pump, corvette servo, trangso shift kit, modded govenor for higher shifts, B&M 24,000 trans cooler, b&M mega shifter....supposidly built to handle 350hp, shifts are ok but not as harsh as i would like, i like the head snapping shifts, also my overdrive shift is nausiating so i gotta take care of that too.

my question is that the pop between shifts has lessened due to the trans breaking in, so in increase the shifts harshness and power holding capabilities of the trans i purchased, 40% larger billet intermediate servo, 50% larger overdrive billet servo, low reverse boost valve, mega valve for overdrive, and 2 gallons of high performance green raptor blood trans fluid. and a deep tans pan with drain plug + new filter. will this increase my shifts harshness and increase the power rating of my trans?

some guy told me if i wanted to kick my second and third shift to drop my tanny pan, remove the roll pin at my TV plunger assembly, pull the assembly out and behind the plunger should have a shim. tells me to put one extra shim on there and put it all back in. he said it def gives u a kick and that he took it out of his daily driver bc it got annoying lol. anyone heard of this? or wat i could do to give me wat i want? eventually 383 HSR goin in with close to 500hp so i would like the trans to survive...
Old 02-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle/Gears: '01 3.42 10 bolt
that mega valve isn't for overdrive specifically. it will help your shifts as far as shift feel. the servos will help some as well as the low/reverse boost valve. the shim thing may even help. but none of it is really gonna increase the power handling capabillities of your tranny. get with the guy/gal that originally rebuilt the tranny to see if it even has a hardened sunshell. without that, a factory shell will give behind a good hard launch.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Supreme Member

700R4 Mega Valve. The Mega Valve will increase your fluid pressure and firm up all your shifts. This is the one you've heard about. Comes in two sizes .471" for firm shifts and .500" for extra firm shifts. Can be installed without removing the transmission or valve body. Cost $15.00

700R4 low / reverse boost valve. This valve will help keep the transmission in manual low to a higher speed. It raises the pressure in manual low and manual second. This valve is .061 of an inch larger than the largest stock valve. Can be installed without removing the transmission or valve body. Cost $25.00

if u look at TCI's web page they say that the low revers valve will increase pressure for the manual low gears and reverse gears, the mega valve will increase 4th gear apply pressure.... thats where im getting it from. increasing the line pressure from stock 150psi to 260-300psi with the valves.

the increasing line pressure equates out to harder apply of the pistons in which this case have a larger apply which means they have more apply force which should inturn hold a higher load of hp and torque with less slippage. the only real difference between the 350hp rating trans and the 500hp rated trans are the servos, valves/springs and the increased friction bands. i have never heard of the extra shim or any parts available for that upgrade. idk wat shim to use or just to find an extra one from another trans etc....also if this really worked wouldnt they have a part for this mod?
Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Supreme Member

the part is most likely a sonnax part. i doubt the place advertising it actually makes it. besides, it says in drive and overdrive ranges. i know what these parts do. my company sells them all the time.

plus, i loked at the raptor trannies(which it seems is where you get your info) and there are two big differences between the 350hp version and hte 500hp version. a beast sunshell and a special made 2/4 band. as i said before, that shell is important. it's not all servos.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've done a lot of reading on this lately too, and the shim your buddy was referring to comes with the transgo 2-3 shift kit. I read an older post on here talking about it, and the poster put the extra shim behind the tv plunger in his trans, and said it caused a total neck-snapping shift. In fact, he took it back out because it shifted way too hard that way. I just ordered the .500 boost valve, vette servo, and the transgo sk700 shift kit for mine. I didn't bother with the reverse boost valve since it supposedly mainly helps when you're manually in first and second gears, which I hardly ever do with mine. The .500 main boost valve is supposed to increase line pressure in regular drive mode, which is more what I'm after for mine. I also chose the sk700 transgo kit instead of the 2-3 kit since I have no desire to make mine a full manual valve body, plus all the extra parts included in that kit that you can't install unless you disassemble the whole trans. I also ordered the transgo separator plate, and the aluminum piston/white spring accumulator kit. The reason I ordered the new separator plate is that I read about the factory steel check ***** wearing out the original plate within 50K. I figure this is my last ditch effort to make my 700r4 work better. If I'm still not happy with it after these mods, I've got a nice manual trans sitting on the garage floor waiting to replace it. Alot of guys break the bank on a top of the line auto trans, only to still be unsatisfied with it, and I'd hate to join that club.

Last edited by Pat Hall; 02-18-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Supreme Member

yeah, that seperstor plate is a good factory replacement. with the 2-3 kit, you don't have to make it fully manual there are other things besides that that it does. the only thing you have to take the tranny all the way apart for is the centrifugal apply springs. everything else can be done with the kit in the car. the line bias valve is also a good way to firm up the shift feel. there are 2 different springs for it in the kit.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah, I realize you don't have to go fully manual with that kit, but I still thought I'd be kinda overbuying with that one ya know? Some of the posts I've read about the 2-3 kit say it's pretty confusing because there's so many different ways to set up your trans with it. Since I'm a noob when it comes to installing auto shift kits, I figured it'd be a good idea to go with the simpler kit for now. I sure didn't want to stoop to using a B&M kit though since most seem to agree that Transgo makes the best kits for 700r4's.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Supreme Member

i guess i can see where you are coming from. but as many pics as there are in the directions, i just think people psych themselves out and think it is more difficult than what it is. just my opinion though.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah, you're probably right on that Jeff. I'm not really intimidated by much of anything on a car. I'm sure I could figure it out without too much difficulty. My reasoning actually falls more under the fact that I'm probably going to switch to a manual trans in the not too distant future, so I'd hate to spend a lot of money on the auto when it's coming out sometime soon. I've got a Tremec TKO I'm going to put in eventually. I'm just not ready to give up having my big mug of coffee in the morning yet because I have to shift gears. Lol.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

lol....i hear ya.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:00 AM
Supreme Member

where did u get all this info? and where are u buying ur parts from? if im gona be tearing the trans apart lol i wanna do it right. my father purchased the transgo shift kit for my trans when i had it rebuilt but im not sure which one was purchased....he said there were 2 versons heavy duty or street/strip and he said he purchased the street strip verson. i know that the kit allows me full manual control and automatic features as well....is that the kit u got? i love neck snapping shifts lol i love it when the trans pops and it jerks ur head back....thats not bad for the trans right? i know its not to good on the rest of the drive train.